Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Bongos in Paradise

Pages: 1 4 replies

K

An interesting note for exotica music collectors..more of a "heads up" really.
A few years ago I picked up a sweet used CD called "Bongos in Paradise" by The Bongo Kings, which had been recently recorded. Great cocktail jungle jazz stuff featuring a lot of bongos, not surprisingly.
Yesterday, I was at Goodwill and found a somewhat tattered, but good playing copy of the old Crown label LP "Jazz Heat, Bongo Beat." I've seen it on eBay a few times and was rather happy to find it for a buck..actually, .50 as it was half off day.
Interestingly, when I played the LP, I realized that it contains all the same songs, same arrangements as in "Bongos in Paradise." the "Paradise" CD simply put them into medley w/o individual titles, but they lifted the arrangements note for note from the 1950s LP, which they give no credit to whatsoever on their CD liner notes. They thank everyone under the planet, but make no mention of any of the people involved with the LP from which they lifted each and every song & arrangement..how's that?
Anyway..they are both GREAT if you happen to run across either of them. The Crown LP is by the "Latin All Stars" composed of Buddy Collette, Eddie Cano & others. But, unless you're really a collector, you needn't buy BOTH, because they are they SAME...just a head up.

T

"Jazz Heat, Bongo Beat" is a great album on a cheapo label. Great score for 50c! The album is available online here:
http://my.opera.com/Mr%20X/blog/show.dml/192067

IZ

Excellent score for 50 cents! It's stories like that that make me reconsider not going to the thrifts this weekend. The lure is too great, ... can't resist.... must go....

[i] ...but they lifted the arrangements note for note from the 1950s LP, which they give no credit to whatsoever on their CD liner notes. They thank everyone under the planet, but make no mention of any of the people involved with the LP from which they lifted each and every song & arrangement..how's that?

Hmm...That's exactly what Crown Records would do every time they would re-release one of their own LPs with a different title and different cover art.

On 2006-08-25 14:29, Kaiwaza wrote:
An interesting note for exotica music collectors..more of a "heads up" really.
A few years ago I picked up a sweet used CD called "Bongos in Paradise" by The Bongo Kings, which had been recently recorded. Great cocktail jungle jazz stuff featuring a lot of bongos, not surprisingly.
Yesterday, I was at Goodwill and found a somewhat tattered, but good playing copy of the old Crown label LP "Jazz Heat, Bongo Beat." I've seen it on eBay a few times and was rather happy to find it for a buck..actually, .50 as it was half off day.
Interestingly, when I played the LP, I realized that it contains all the same songs, same arrangements as in "Bongos in Paradise." the "Paradise" CD simply put them into medley w/o individual titles, but they lifted the arrangements note for note from the 1950s LP, which they give no credit to whatsoever on their CD liner notes. They thank everyone under the planet, but make no mention of any of the people involved with the LP from which they lifted each and every song & arrangement..how's that?
Anyway..they are both GREAT if you happen to run across either of them. The Crown LP is by the "Latin All Stars" composed of Buddy Collette, Eddie Cano & others. But, unless you're really a collector, you needn't buy BOTH, because they are they SAME...just a head up.

\

Hmmmmm......must investigate.

Thanks for making the connection kaiwaza!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 4 replies