Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Pocketiki Magazine from England

Pages: 1 15 replies

Hello fellow tiki enthusiasts. I just got off the phone with James the publisher of the newest tiki magazine Pocketiki. On eBay he goes by sooprised so I was floored when he contacted me about doing an article on Gecko and my Bloody Maori. James was the arch enemy of danlovestikis and thus became one of my first tiki buddies back in 2001. Those of us who really hate each other on eBay always end up friends because of the tiki addiction. I had bought a couple of the magazines but I had not connected it with my tiki buddy.

We love having Pocketiki and Tiki News. These first rate wonderful publications have made enjoying tiki all the better. Dan is also a collector of girl mugs with tiki tay tay's so when he saw Pocketiki had a centerfold he was one happy man. As you know I like Dan to be happy and that's why as danlovestikis I do all the hard work of bidding for him on eBay. He doesn't type and computers horrify him.

If you enjoy Tiki News please try an issue of Pocketiki which can be bought on eBay. It's just as much fun. The issue out right now #1 has article on the Spanish tiki bars and the mugs, Cheeky Tiki in England who are also friends of James, even building instructions for a Safari bar.

Issue #2 to come out near Christmas will have my article so I'm so excited about that too. James does all the work for his publication, even staples the pages together. You won't be disapointed please get one and enjoy, it's a work of love of tiki. Cheers and have a great weekend. Wendy

Will have to check that out.

Hi Wendy!

I saw our buddy Gecko today, and wow what a project he is working on! I am sworn to secrecy, but had my camera in my purse, so got some work in progress shots. I will post them when this major work of art is complete and unveiled!

I am happy to see you working hard and keeping up with world wide Tiki events! I look forward to seeing your article.

Aloha!

Hi Wendy, it was great chatting with you (and Dan of course) in person! It's funny that you should say eBay 'arch enemy' as I always considered you (Danlovestikis) as my 'Arch Nemesis!', ha, ha! I've never been a real big player so I've had plenty along the way, but you Wendy (and Dan of course), were one of the first. Thanks for the kind words about POCKETIKI, our humble tiki magazine, it will be an honour to have your (and Gecko's of course) fantastic mug in it! The magazine HAS been a labour of love, but has been great fun to do! It's good to hear that others are enjoying my efforts, we have had some fantastic feedback and it has encouraged us (me!) to crack on with issue #2. MAHALO WENDY! All the best from Tiki Towers, Frimley, Good Ol' Blighty!

See you on eBay, ha,ha!

[ Edited by: POCKETIKI 2006-08-28 14:45 ]

Hey There Tiki Towers aka Pocketiki aka sooprised. That's a fun photo of your home. I'll have to practice more to put out photos. I ordered another Pocketiki today for a friend. I think the issue makes a great gift. We all want to keep tikis alive and the two fine magazines now in print make great gifts to inspire new collectors. Let's keep our collections desired and valuable! Wendy

B

Just ordered the Barcelona edition, Looks great.
Thanks DLT

On 2006-08-26 20:07, danlovestikis wrote:
On eBay he goes by sooprised so I was floored when he contacted me about doing an article on Gecko and my Bloody Maori. James was the arch enemy of danlovestikis and thus became one of my first tiki buddies back in 2001. Those of us who really hate each other on eBay always end up friends because of the tiki addiction.

Ahhhh, all is clear now! Back when I used eBay, I was also the victim of a 'sooprised' last second snipe on many occasion. I've often shaken a fist in his direction!

Similarly, I met James for the first time at the London Luau and got on great, though had I known he was sooprized, I might not have been so civil. (Just kidding)

James, did you do a zine back in the day called Sooprize Package?

Trader Woody

yep, it's a good read. i recommend it whether you're in the UK or not.

Well done, James!

V

good read, and good guy. It was nice meeting you at the london luau.

Hey There, I'll have to let James know you asked this question, Wendy

Well thanks for blowing my cover Wendy! (Shakes fist and curses under breath!). Yeah, you are right Trader Woody I did do SOOPRIZE PACKAGE way back when! That is the reason I chose SOOPRIZED! as by eBay user ID, just to see who might make the connection. Congratulations Trader Woody you are one of a very few who sussed that one out! Now here's a little tip...The first two copies sold on eBay a year or so ago for $50 a piece. A guy in Sweden was the seller, not me unfortunately! So what I reckon is this...Buy two copies of POCKETIKI...stick one a way for a few years, and...HEY PRESTO! You are a rich man/woman/person. Don't say I didn't tip you off guys! You must have had/still have(?) a different user ID than Trader Woody, because I don't remember outbidding a Trader Woody at any time? As for 'last minute snipes'? Wendy will back me up on this one...I only ever bid at the last minute/seconds 'cause I like the adrenalin rush! Blown plenty of good auctions but hey, that's the fun right? DOH! Never used a snipe in my life. A sniper once, but for legal reasons I can't elaborate on that one! What did I tell you all those years ago Wendy? "Last minute Big, Bold, Brassy Bids every time!". Only problem is, there are Bigger, Bolder, and Brassier bidders than me out there...You know who you are...Swines!! Hope to hook up with you again soon, I think a good ol' 'Christmas knees-up' at Trader Vic's is in order...If not sooner! Take care my friend!

Hi Virani! I think we have met on eBay before? It was great meeting you at the LONDON LUAU too, sorry it was only briefly though. Next year we can have a longer chat. If you want to do anything with a 'French Twist' for POCKETIKI let me know. Bonne nuit mon ami!

T

I just got one through the 'bay. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for making it.

On 2006-08-30 16:27, POCKETIKI wrote:
Yeah, you are right Trader Woody I did do SOOPRIZE PACKAGE way back when! That is the reason I chose SOOPRIZED! as by eBay user ID, just to see who might make the connection.

My hunch was right - how about that? How long ago did you publish it? It must have been a decade ago at least? Just shows what a fine zine it was to etch itself into my brain like it did. It's layout was excellent, so I can see why Pocketiki looks so good.

No, my eBay name was something altogether different from Trader Woody, and shall remain a secret until I'm outed. I don't want Tiki Central to know about my obsession with Peirot Dolls - (I can't stress enough that this is a joke!). I'll let you in on the secret next time we meet. Xmas at Vic's sounds great to me.

Trader Woody

Thanks for your kind words Trader Woody, SOOPRIZE PACKAGE came out I think around '93/'94? It was awarded a special $100 prize by MAXIMUMROCKNROLL magazine to encourage a second issue - which it did! Sadly 3/4 of issue 3 is still kicking around here at Tiki Towers somewhere. I think POCKETIKI should have a longer shelf life, especially if I can get others involved in contributing. Issue #2 is well on the way (out around Xmas) and I'm really pleased that others are involved this time! How do you think we should get people together for a Xmas Trader Vic Hootenanny? I guess posting it here on Tiki Central would be best! Finally...Who would have believed that the little Belgian inspector would have had his own doll?

N

Pocketiki,

Thanks for the mag. I really enjoyed it, good stuff! Best of luck with your new venture.

Nick

Pages: 1 15 replies