Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Any info about a mug from the Kon Tiki Hotel, Phoenix?

Pages: 1 11 replies

I recently scored a mug on Ebay that is marked 'Kon Tiki Hotel, Phoenix'. It is a rather standard brown kon-tiki design mug. I presume this is from the famed Kon Tiki hotel that was torn down in the late 1990s.

I have not been able to find anything about this mug on either Tiki Central or Ooga-Mooga. Did the hotel have a bar where they sold these mugs? Or did they have a gift shop where mugs were available for purchase?

I have not been able to much info about this mug. Can anybody shed more light on this artifact?

I have a set of salt and pepper shakers from there, remember being there when I was a kid, think it was on Van Buren ave...

I don't know about it, but I did find this cool pic!

[ Edited by: FlatEarthTrading 2006-08-28 17:19 ]

After doing some more digging, I found some interesting information.

The Phoenix New Times ran an article called Lei'd to rest. The Valley's most exotic landmark slowly sinks into the sunset. This article was previously posted on Tikicentral.

On page three, the article reads:

'Making matters worse, says [Dale] Hickox (former Kon Tiki Hotel employee), was the absentee owner's decision to sublease the motel's restaurant and cocktail lounge to a Valley promoter who used the facility to stage after-hours raves.'

Ah ha! So there was a cocktail lounge. Once again, urban archaeology pays off. I hope Sven is proud :)

But I haven't been able to find very much info more about the Kon Tiki Hotel or its lounge. No interior pix, no post cards, no flyers (except for the above posts).

BTW, here is a pix of the mug:

The Tikipedia
www.tikipedia.com

[ Edited by: tikipedia 2006-08-28 18:09 ]

I

NICE FIND!!
I live in the Phoenix Metro area and I remember going to the Kon Tiki Hotel (the resturaunt half) as a kid. Back then (mid to late 70's) it was a pretty high end swank pad! When I heard it was going to be torn down I stayed there one last time. (granted, it was a stark difference from it's heyday but I had to do it and ultimately I'm glad I did!!)

But as the original poster asked, the Kon Tiki had a FABULOUS bar! Polynesian cheese to the max! I loved it! I was so sad when that famous landmark was torn down. It's nothing but a disgusting parking lot now. There is a book out called The Book Of Tiki by Sven A. Kirsten. On page 118, there is a blurb about the Kon Tiki Hotel in Phoenix!

From the picture you posted, you got one of the shorties. There were two (maybe 3) different styles. The ones I have are the tall ones. You can tell by the base of the mugs. Man I miss that place :-/

But anyway, here are a couple shots of my Kon Tiki Hotel Treasures!

Front & Center!

The Gang!!

One of my precious mugs since has broken and I'm currently shopping for a replacement. If anyone knows where to score an authentic piece, I'd DEFINITELY be interested!
Thanks for the mems!!

--SjN

[ Edited by: iamsjn 2007-03-26 18:14 ]

T

I've got one of the shorties in my collection. I think it might have been the first vintage mug I ever purchased. I'd seen the pic, too. What an awesome place it must have been. I've also struck out on finding any other photos.

W

hey everyone i am new here. i was raised in pheonix and my uncle worked at the Motel but unfortunately back in the late 60's he was shot and killed by a thug i never got to know him as it was 2 yrs before i was born. does anyone remember anything of this tragic event i am trying to gather any info on this for my family and for myself as i am named after my uncle. and just so everyone knows my uncle shot the man that shot him in the head and killed him. any info that anyone has would greatly be appreciated

W

also my mother has a complete set of the tiki motel mugs and salt and pepper shakers. they are a special family heirloom that will stay in our family forever

What a Wild West tragedy! I have never heard about this incident here, your best bet for info will be the local newspaper archives, and perhaps the main library. Sounds like the beginning of the end for the Kon-Tiki.

W

yes it was the begining of the end for the motel. my uncle was the clerk there when this happened.I have found out that the motel was a hub for the mofia back then alot of bad elements was in and out of there. it was definately a sad day for our family. i have been told several times that i look alot like my uncle which is how i recieved his name as my nickname.

Let us know if you find out anything more about the incident, and the Mafia influence at the hotel.

W

will do as i find out more

Pages: 1 11 replies