Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Reno Fun Train 2007

Pages: 1 15 replies

H

There's been much rumbling about reprising our adventure to Reno... here's the thread from our last group trip, in February 2004:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11770&forum=17

Tickets for the 2007 season go on sale soon -- September 5. They'll do group reservations, but won't start taking them until the 12th, and you don't really need them; they will happily seat individuals next to each other as a group without an official "group reservation." We just have to pick one person to start the ball rolling, like The Jab for instance, and when reserving, say "I want to be next to the Jab!", and hope that there is not another, less desirable Jab on board the train. The train makes several stops in California: Emeryville, Martinez, Suisun and Sacramento.

Highlights of Reno & the Fun Train include:

• Trader Dick's!
  • Awful Awful Burgers!
  • Peppermill's Fireside Lounge!
  • Snow!
  • Half the glam of Vegas, at half the price!

The "Hawaiian Aloha"-themed train is the weekend of January 26. That weekend is open for Hanford & me (I think), but if it turns out that another weekend is better, it'd probably be fine (the theming for the '50s train we were on in 2004 was Kindergarten-classroom-quality). The January 26 train gets into Reno at 5pm, leaving plenty of time to hit the town; some of the other weeks the train doesn't get in until 9pm.

The place to stay is the Nugget, since that's where Trader Dick's is, but if you'd prefer another hotel, there are others to choose from. The price for the Nugget package is $285/person for double occupancy. It's extra if you're a single, so it's better to double up with a buddy or another single you'd feel comfortable sharing a room with.

Here's the website, with all the details:

http://www.keyholidays.com/reno/funtrain/funtrain.html

What say ye?

H

In re-reading the thread from our last trip, it looks like people could book far in advance, but didn't get charged until January, so if money's tight right now but you think you can save up in time for the trip, go ahead and call on the 5th, and ask when you'll actually be charged.

J

Sounds like a blast. Thanks for the tip on paying later, that helps a lot! Let's do it!

We are pondering, pondering.

CL

On 2006-08-29 07:45, Jungle Trader wrote:
We are pondering, pondering.

Equally pondering as well.....

S

hmmm, it's half that price for me to fly down and stay for 2 nights, soooo maybe I'll meet ya there!
Pea

Sounds like fun!

I hope myself and Mrs.Mojo can make it.

We're trying to take my younger brother to Hawaii for his 40th Birthday the 1st week of January!

At least we will hopefully bring back lots of cool stuff for TIKI HUNTER!

JUST SOOOOO MUCH TO DO!!!

I am hoping to make the trek to Trader Dick's but probably wont take the train.....weather permitting.

[ Edited by: moondog426 2007-01-03 07:13 ]

[ Edited by: moondog426 2007-01-10 18:50 ]

A
Al-ii posted on Wed, Jan 3, 2007 8:42 AM

Head count who's in?
Al

A
Al-ii posted on Wed, Jan 3, 2007 2:01 PM

John Ascuaga's Nugget is actually located in the city of Sparks. The people of Northern Nevada are fond of saying "Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks". Reno, it lies like a shining diamond in the Great Basin Dessert, The Biggest Little City in the World. A few hours away from the Burning Man Festival, and, a cab ride away from the Mustang Ranch (can you hear me Unga). Reno Nevada, Home to trader Dicks, Where you can still get a drink that looks like this:

RENO!!!! it may not have history, or culture, or literacy, but, if it wasn't for Vegas it would be the coolest thing in Nevada. Sure some of you are saying trains are so 1935, and that they are. Some of you are asking "do I really have to sit next to the jab?" Yes, you do,but, I'm all about RENO, Who isn't? Now I asked a question:

WHO"S WITH ME??

Pondering here too! Is there a specific train car number or group name TC'ers are using to stay together?

• Myke
M

I can't-Inky and I will be at the Atomic Frolic in Vegas the weekend of Jan 26-28.

Looks like my friend will be here on the following weekend for Super Bowl party, so won't be making trek to Reno. Please have an ''awful awful'' for me. We all know no one has ever finished off that basket of fries!

Al-ii is right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

A

What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! Was it over when Abraham Lincoln crossed the Delaware, Hell No!.And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the going gets tough . . . the tough get going. Who's with me? Let's Go! Come on! AAAAEEEEEGGGHHHH!!

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily

[ Edited by: Al-ii 2007-01-11 11:48 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies