Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

trip to bali

Pages: 1 10 replies

Aloha from Germany,

next week i make a trip to Bali Indonesia.
I know that is not a typically tiki island but you never know....
Now i have the question: do anybody know if there are any tiki places on Bali or neighbor islands?
Bars, Hotels.....
If i found something (i think this could be very hard ) i will post some pics.

Thank you very much
ramba-zamba

E

Sorry for writing in German...

Salamata Tang ramba-zamba,

Gratulation zum Baliurlaub... ich war im September 2001 auf Bali. Bin damals am denkwürdigen 11. September hingeflogen, ist aber eine andere Geschichte... Bali ist einfach herrlich. Ähnlich wie in anderen Ländern Südost-Asiens wirst du gewisse Affinitäten und vieles finden, was dem Polynisischem sehr nahe kommt. Typische Tikibars habe ich damals nicht gefunden. Es gibt aber sehr viele Strandbars mit urigem Flair. Kuta ist eher laut und mit Ballermannaustraliern besetzt. Jimbaran bietet den schönsten Sonnenuntergang, Legian die besten Wellen. Stehe für Fragen zur Verfügung.

Viel Spaß auf Bali!
ehrie

Puri Santrian, Sanur Beach, Bali, Indonesia (restaurant)
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5719&forum=2

If you enlarge your definition of tiki past polynesian pop, tiki abounds.
Bali's respect for their deceased ancestors, their ubiquitous religious shrines, their harmony with the land, their physical expression of the supernatural and their appreciation of manna are all very tiki characteristics (both Hawaiian and Easter Island).
Also, Bali is in the South Pacific.

Do visit some of the Balinese religious temples, such as Mengwi and the Mother TempleBesakih.

Also, see a Legong dinner show - it is Bali's version of the hula.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2006-09-02 23:34 ]

Aloha,
First af all, thank you all for the nice tips!
finaliy i found time to post my holiday report from the Bali trip.

My girlfrind and i spended two weeks on the nice island Bali (Indonesia). At first i thought i woun´t find any tiki stuff on Bali, but this was wrong!!!
This island is full of Tiki (like) Bars, Tikis in al sizes and Tiki productions.
Let me guide you with some pics through Tiki the times of my holiday.

This was our first tiki detection. This is a Bar called Tubes, it was closed sadly!
You can found the Bar in the Poppies Lane one in Kuta.

Only some meters along in the same road we found the next Bar with Tikis, this time the doors were open. The bar is called Swell and is a surfer bar in the heart of Kuta.

A few days later we were on a trip through Ubud (the artist village in Bali) to the Vulcano Mt. Batur.
There i accidental found a production of 5.000 Tikis which are made for selling in Hawaii.
I asked the boss of the wood carving industry if he could sell me one or two piecees, but he said that the tikis go to Hawaii in the next two days and he have no extra pieces. Bad Luck.
Behind the showroom i found the production place in the middle of the jungle, it was amazing.

In Ubud are crazy artists with incredible skills.

Here you can see a surfscool in Kuta with Hawii Tiki layout.

Some pics from nice Balinese architecture.

Hawaiian Host Tiki at the Singapoore airport.

and at last the freaky spider in my hand...... spooky

ramba-zamba,

Thanks for the pictures. I really like that spider. I hope Sven checks out this thread. I'm sure he'll appreciate seeing actual photos of an Balinese-made-for-Hawaii carving workshop.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-11-15 15:05 ]

Yes, thank you. My friend Moritz R (BOT cover artist) had been to Bali and showed me photos of the architecture and the Flora and Fauna and told me about how much that place is like a dream Tiki environment, simply by its tropical textures and colors and vibe.

It is funny to see how much Tiki is being carved there nowadays, because 5 years ago there was none of that. The demand creates the supply, the whole thing is coming full circle.

There is a beautiful book out now called "Covarrubias in Bali", about my favorite artist Miguel (and wife Rosa) Covarrubias' stay there in the 40s. It has great art in it, and it also mentions their host Walter Spiers, a German Artist that lived there from the 30s on and created beautiful images of Balinese jungle scenes. He is still revered there today (he died on a POW ship in the last days of WWII) and his house is an expensive retreat nowadays.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Nov 17, 2006 7:33 PM

yeh, in Australia we get a lot of Bali influence, moreso than traditional tiki/polynesian influence (including NZ tiki too). Bali for many Aussies is kinda like Cancun - big place for 'party' holidays...

But, theres a lot of Balinese style decor and garden stuff which is very tiki-like. Most of it just includes a golden Buddha instead of a wooden Lono :)

Theres some gorgeous 'coffee table' books on Balinese houses, absolutely stunning houses with classy tropical theme throughout, set in the jungle. Drool.... :)

Ramba-Zamba, in that one outdoor picture that you have taken of a roof, are they sheded snake skins that are up there? TIA. Uncrichie.

I

I visited Bali back in 1999, and I noticed no tiki there at all. Ubud was nice - I stayed there for a bout a week, and hope to return to the island some day. The airfare there was costly, but once there, most everything was very inexpensive.

Although I was not able to purchase a tiki during my travels, I did come home with a nice souvenir - a 5 foot tall banana tree carving. It was quite the bargain - it only cost me $70, and I brought it back home as checked luggage. Here is a picture of that tree, next to my tiki bar.

Vern

On 2006-11-16 21:40, bigbrotiki wrote:
Yes, thank you. My friend Moritz R (BOT cover artist) had been to Bali and showed me photos of the architecture and the Flora and Fauna and told me about how much that place is like a dream Tiki environment, simply by its tropical textures and colors and vibe.

It is a tropical paradise, with lots of thatch roofs.

Colorful fauna everywhere and not overly populated (with the exception of Denpasar).

Truly a paradise on earth. In many ways, moreso than Hawaii is now.

Pages: 1 10 replies