Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What is this?

Pages: 1 3 replies

I just got this at a second hand store. They had it tagged as "Aboriginal Shield". I'm pretty sure it's not Aboriginal and I'm dang sure it's not a shield. Anyone got a clue what it is?

I think it is South Pacific and possibly something to do with tapa cloth making.

It's about 24 inches long and about 7 inches wide at the widest. It is extremely heavy for it's size and has a small handle carved in the top. The bottom is slightly convex and it has patterns carved in the bottom. The patterns are long lines that alternate at regular intervals. You can sort of see that in the image. Those patterns run tip to tip. My thinking is that it may have been used to place a pattern on wet tapa. The design of this thing seems to warrant a rocking from tip to tip on a flat surface.

T

Memories, was in Jorsey one time and got whacked in the head with that !!!!

P

Pretty sure they were right, it looks like an aboriginal shield to me. Tapa beaters look like this: http://www.tribalmania.com/TAPABEATERS.htm

Yep. It appears to be an Aboriginal shield. The same site listed above had a couple of sheids and mine looks like those.

Thanks for the direction. Now at least I know what it is.

Pages: 1 3 replies