Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Rum to buy when in Jamaica?

Pages: 1 3 replies

My girlfriend's mother is going to Jamaica later this year and she has agreed to pick up some rum for us. Could some of the rum experts please recommend some hard to find in USA rums for her to pick up? I definitely want some Havana Club, but other suggestions with a brief description would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

G

One thing you might consider is to have her look for Jamaican rums that are easily found in the U.S., but are considerably cheaper to buy in Jamaica. For instance, Appleton Estate rums. I'd look for everything from Appleton Estate White up to Estate 21 Yr and see if you can score some good rum cheap. Havana Club has been discussed a lot here and you should read up on all the experiences people have had with customs before asking your girlfriend's mother to smuggle, er... bring you some. :wink:

Since it's only available in Jamaica, I'd ask her to find you some pimento liqueur.

I have the following Jamaican rums in my collection and recommend them: New Yarmouth Estate, Long Pond Estate, Monymusk Estate, Hampden Estate, and Worthy Park.
All are super, and you will not readily find them in Babylon.
By the way, don't just get Rum...get Blue Mountain Coffee, Dude!

Blue Mountain Producers are: Wallenford Estate, Moy Hall, Mavis Bank, and Jablum.

Drink some delicious Rum Punches.
1 oz lime juice
2 oz simple syrup
3 oz Wray & Nephew Overproof
4 oz fruit juice or water

In Jamaica the phrase for traditional recipe is, "One part sour, two parts sweet, three parts strong, four parts weak."
That makes Rum Punches easy to remember.

Pages: 1 3 replies