Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Liquor Theft

Pages: 1 9 replies

I

I recently had the misfortune of returning home from a weekend trip, and discovering my home had been broken into. It appears as if the only thing stolen was my collection of liquor - approximately 100 bottles of various items, with an emphasis on rum and vodka.

If you are like myself, you have slowly been adding bottles to your home collection, without giving thought to the total value, or its replacement value. Earlier this week I filed an insurance claim, and am now awaiting to see whether my insurance company accepts this claim. Part of this claim process involved trying to identify every bottle I owned, and how full each bottle was.

This can be difficult, especially if you are working from an empty set of shelves. I have been able to identify many items by making a visit to the local ABC store, and I did have a general idea of how full each bottle was, but I am certain that there are more unusual brands that I purchased over the years that I cannot now recall.

If you do have a liquor collection of considerable size, I might suggest that you somehow document the current state of this collection - either by photographing or videotaping your collection, and/or making a written list of what you own. This will provide some base which will give some proof to your insurance company that you do own as much as you own. Chances are that your collection is much more valuable than you might think - those bottles purchased sporadically over the years do add up in value over time, especially if you do have a preference for the premium brands.

This message is not meant as a plea for sympathy, as liquor can generally be easily replaced, and I consider myself fortunate that many things I value were left untouched. And the theft of liquor pales in comparison to the much greater losses that others here on Tiki Central have experienced. But if you do find yourself with some free time, making such a documented list may go a long way to helping you recover your loss, in case you find your own shelves empty some day.

Vern

Wow! I never heard of a liquor burglar before. That sux!

Loosing anything like that sucks big time, you have my sympathies....

On the lighter side, can you imagine the burglar running away carring several cases of liquor.... It would be like watching someone try to steal all of the quarters from the laundry mat.

Oh man...I would be devastated if even my home bar was ripped off. I feel for you brother.
I keep most of my vintage wine and special spirits locked away in my climate control warehouse with all my sample wines.

I could not replace my collection, especially of old single malts. Not really money issue..scarcity of stock.

Booze Burglars should be executed immediately!

GH

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 1, 2006 8:34 AM

A guy stole GROG's girlfriend away and she was really into oral sex. Oh wait a minute.....I guess that's "licker theft".

Sorry about that.

RG

I was filling gassing my car one night when this guy burst from the station mini mart. He got about six steps from the door and the twelve pack he'd grabbed on the way out succumbed to inertia and exploded, flinging cans everywhere. He did this really comical cartoon double take kind of thing, torn between picking up his booty and running away. He scrambled for a couple of cans, bobbled them and dropped them and ended up running away with one can of coors light. To add insult to injury, as he ran away he had to listen to me laughing my ass off at him.

That's no comparison to your loss, my friend, but it give me hope that there's some little justice in the world and anyways it's good for a chuckle. I hope Karma rights the wrong for you quickly.

We're leaving on a week long trip soon and our area has been having burglaries. I'm going to take your suggestion and inventory the liquor this weekend (and the mugs, which I've also never done). Thanks for the suggestion.

M
mbanu posted on Fri, Sep 1, 2006 2:54 PM

Well that sucks. :/

May Bluto Blutarsky, Patron Saint of Stolen Bars, have pity on your plight and restore your liquor collection to its rightful glory!

C

My house was robbed and the police would do nothing.
I ended up investigating and catching the criminals myself.

A police officer later told me if you have beer stolen don't report it.
It tells the cops "don't work on this one, kids did this".
If the cops catch an adult burgular he goes to jail and is off the street.
If the cops catch a kid, he is back on the street.
So it is a waste of time for the cops to work on crimes they know are commited by kids.

Pages: 1 9 replies