Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

what is the oddest thing you've ever inherited

Pages: 1 20 replies

Or most cool.

C

My family they are both odd and cool.

J

Well I thought it was odd when my dad left it to me four years ago, but turns out his swizzle stick collection has some really cool things it, including a couple that are kinda tiki. Now I can't wait to dig into his matchbook collection that my mom still has.

D

My grandfather's cuff ink and tie clip collection. My dad handed it to me all jumbled up in a ziplock bag.

I inherited a wacked in the head step-mother-in-law!

My husband inherited a huge empire chair from the 1700's that looks like something a king would sit in it. (The whole family calls it "The Kings Chair".) Kinda' hard to decorate around!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Sep 2, 2006 12:20 PM

Baldness and high blood pressure.

My father's quirky and morbid sense of humor, my mother's creativity and quiet strength...and this weird metal wall ornament that my favorite uncle made in 7th Grade metal shop in the late 60's or early 70's. It looks like a monkey with fat lips, with hair tied up in a bow, the eyes are metal washers.

On 2006-09-02 19:19, CheekyGirl wrote:

It looks like a monkey with fat lips, with hair tied up in a bow, the eyes are metal washers.

So show us your monkey.

D

The coolest...A few of my grandfathers gold capped teeth after he had them removed. I keep them in my mojo bag. But the oddest? I'll have to think about that one.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2006-09-04 18:01 ]

CL

5000 vinyl 45's (as in records). Odd or cool depending upon how you look at it.

skin tags.

My parents inherited their neighbor's dog & son. Luckily I haven't inherited anything that interesting.

MT

On 2006-09-05 23:08, Coco Loco wrote:
5000 vinyl 45's (as in records). Odd or cool depending upon how you look at it.

ahem Those are MY records, Coco Loco. Keep yer meethooks off'em!

But seriously, I did inherit a boat load of 45 rpm vinyl records. They belonged to my best friend's uncle, who loved music from the 1950's and 1960's - American Graffiti was his favorite movie of all time. He grew up in the late '50's to the early '60's as well, and must have started collecting these 45's when he was in high school. After he passed away, his family was going to just throw the records away, or try to donate them to a library or something. My friend knew that I was restoring a 1950 Seeburg Jukebox, and also knew of my fondness for collecting, so he figured I'd put them to good use.

My friend and I loaded all of the records into my car nonstop, and it took us both about an hour until we were finally done. They filled up the entire trunk of a Honda Accord (which is a huge trunk!), as well as the entire back seat area from the floorboards to the top of the back seat!

After I unloaded them, I was wondering what I had gotten myself into. There were way to many records to count, but luckily they were split up into small boxes. I broke out the tape measure, and started measuring how many records there were. If you put them in one large stack from floor to ceiling, it would measure 168 inches, or 14 feet! I then measured how long a section of 100 records was, which came out to 8 inches. Dividing 168 inches by 8 inch sections of 100 records gives me 21 sections of 100 records, or approximately 2,100 records!

I didn't believe that this number could be correct - it didn't look like there were 2,100 records there! So I tried another calculation. If there were 100 records in 8 inches, then dividing 100 records by 8 inches should give me the number of records per inch, which is 12.5 records per inch. And 12.5 records per inch multiplied by 168 inches total equals 2,100 records! I'm still amazed!!!

I still haven't had time to go through all of these records. There's some cool old stuff like Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, etc., but there's also some more modern type crap mixed in there a little bit, like Lionel Ritchie. I guess that when I get the time I'll go through them all, and sell off any duplicates and ones that I don't want. But I don't know when I'll have time to go through them all!!!

Just listening to all of the songs will take forever - one song per side equals 4,200 songs, and if all the songs average about 2.5 minutes per song, that's 10,500 minutes of music, or 175 hours, or over 1 week of straight 24 hour around the clock listening time!!! Even if I listened to them for 8 hours a day every day, it would still take over 3 weeks to hear everything!!! At two hours a day every day, it's gonna take over 12 weeks!!!

Dr. Z, please check my math on this.

Lots of Records...that's cooler than most stuff.

I wonder how many of us (who might in the agregate be considered eccentric)have parents or family who were also...and might thus leave behind more things which are interesting than a box of Hummels.

RG

Creepy blown glass clown statue. It's one of those things I'm afraid to throw it away because that's always when you find out the hard way that it has the soul of an evil demon or voodoo god trapped in it.

DZ

On 2006-09-07 02:22, Mai Tai wrote:

Dr. Z, please check my math on this.

Uhh... sure, that sounds about right... I guess...

P
pablus posted on Sat, Sep 9, 2006 5:31 AM

A couple of Saturdays ago my grandma gave me a piece of birchbark that she had stripped off of a tree in Canada over 50 years ago. It's in a roll and I'm afraid to mess with it lest it disintegrate.

Anybody know any good birchbark re-vitalization alchemy?

O

I used to have a lamp that I would bring out to show friends who would ask to see it. It was a set of Zebra legs wired together with polished hoofs originally given to my mother with its matching Zebra rug which she displayed but kept the lamp hidden away. I had the lamp untill my ex wife disposed of it one day after finding it in my closet, can't say that I miss it.

My Aunt's ashes. My Cuz is afraid to keep her at his house.

Okay, I know this thread is kind of old, but I finally took a picture of the metal monkey thing that my Uncle made in metal shop in the 70's.

We have a large family. My father had 4 siblings, all of which had at least 2 kids, many of which already had kids of their own. So by the time my grandfather passed away, (about 5 years ago), the entire family met at his house, we numbered everything and started pulling numbers out of a hat.....

.....I got a box of old photo negatives and a long shoe horn! :D

Pages: 1 20 replies