Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Rare OMC Tiki Mugs

Pages: 1 3 replies

I'm curious about these mugs that just sold on ebay. If anyone missed them, they were apparently from the estate of an OMC sales rep. I know from Ooga Mooga that the first one is a Tiki Bob's Maori (it sold for $212):

But the two other ones do not seem to be listed on Ooga Mooga (at least I couldnt find them) so I was wondering if anyone had seen them before and had more info? Since they were marked as OMC samples, and the red one was pencil noted "Original Islander", I'm sure someday I'll regret not bidding huge on them. But congratulations to the collectors who got them! -- I'm just learning about tiki mugs, but I suspect these were something special:

This one sold for $180:

And this one sold for $167:

M

*...I was wondering if anyone had seen them before and had more info? Since they were marked as OMC samples, and the red one was pencil noted "Original Islander", *

Yes. Try a search here for Spurlin or Spurlins. Small ceramics company in So Cal that produced many mugs, often in conjunction with Oceanic Arts. Stella!

I'm sure someday I'll regret not bidding huge on them. But congratulations to the collectors who got them! -- I'm just learning about tiki mugs, but I suspect these were something special:

You'll see them again, just be on the look for the particular glazes used on these models. Other Spurlin mugs can be tougher to identify, but equally desirable, in my uninformed opinion. The seller of these mugs had to be surprised by the amounts bid, sellers usually are in cases like these. Info on her in-law's job would be welcome by many around here. The ole OMC is a bit of a mystery.

Good luck in your collecting, watch out for that cpt.midnite eBay seller, he's just the Sunday papers, bad news.

Shoulda never opened my big mouth about them Spurlin mugs...
midnite

T

Hey midnite, quit giving out all the secret info! :wink:

I have that mug and it's marked Islander on the bottom- used at the LA Islander (awesome building- wish I had a time machine so that I could have gone there)

Tikifarm called their reproduction of that mug "Island Chief"

Here is a link it to it on ooga-mooga

Pages: 1 3 replies