Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

My new lamp

Pages: 1 8 replies

My girlfriend just gave me this lamp for Christmas and I'm interested if anyone knows anything about it. There is no label or date on it. It stands about 33 inches tall, so it's pretty big. The lamp shade looks to be about 1960s and while the tiki is made to look like wood, it feels like some kind of ceramic. The lamp is real heavy too.

Check it out:

Thanks for the input.
That's 100!

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2002-12-25 01:18 ]

L
laney posted on Wed, Dec 25, 2002 2:01 AM

I have a tiki just like that in my yard. I got it at Ocianic Arts and I know they make lamps out of these as well as the Maoi I, and some other T.C.er's, got there. I'm 99% sure this is where it is from and not vintage. Where did she get it?

[ Edited by: laney on 2002-12-25 02:02 ]

Lucky,
Oceanic Arts carries these lamps. They also have them as freestanding tikis and yes, they are made of plaster. I actually picked up the Cook Islands and Moai plaster tikis that are the same size as this one on Tiki Tuesday (both of which were also available in lamp form). Still a cool lamp though!

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-12-25 11:31 ]

Actually she got it at the old Toes on the Nose store on Thalia Street in Laguna Beach.
I tend to think that it's not vintage either but there is something that says to me that it is..... I'm not sure why I think that though. Maybe it's the texture of the base that looks like it wouldn't be reproduced today. It looks like lava rock (very pitted) but is painted orange. I just wouldn't think that someone today would intentionally paint something a color that is percieved as 'out', if that makes any sense. But I do figure that if someone knows lamps, it's Laney, right?

Yeah, I am still really stoaked about the lamp. I was just looking for the story. Thanks guys.

Great find. Cool lamp. Here's a pic I took at Oceanic Arts on Tiki Tuesday.

Mahalo,
Al

L
laney posted on Wed, Dec 25, 2002 2:15 PM

An easy way to tell if something is vintage is to look at the wiring and socket. Not exact as many are rewired. They sell lamp shades at O.A. too including some sweet tapa shades.
It may not be vintage but it is still a cool piece and an excelent gift. But what do you mean orange is out! What the.....

[ Edited by: laney on 2002-12-25 14:18 ]

Al, you've done it again. Thanks for the insight and the pic.

And I knew that I'd take some for that orange comment....

sweet lamp where did you find it

Pages: 1 8 replies