Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beyond Tiki Music - TC Member JenTiki sings TONIGHT in Alameda

Pages: 1 9 replies

J

Aloha Bay Area Ohana,

Please join me and the Kelly Park Quartet as I put my own spin on some familiar hits and introduce a few lesser known gems from singers such as Billie Holliday, Julie London, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Rosemary Clooney, Bobby Darrin, Peggy Lee, and more. I'll also be joined by a special guest singer or two.

It's not tiki, but a lot of the songs I'll be singing are actually on the Forbidden Island juke box.

Kelly's Jazz Club is now serving appetizers and a full dinner menu from Barceluna. So come early for a good table and a bite to eat.

Here are the details:
Address: 1313 Park Street (at Encinal), Alameda, CA
Phone: 510-769-1011
Date: Thursday, September 14th
Showtime: 8:00pm (come early for a good table)
Price: There is no cover charge, but there is a 2-drink minimum. Drink prices are reasonable.

I hope to see some of the Bay Area Ohana in attendance!

Mahalos,
JenTiki

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2006-09-14 17:34 ]

TM

Too bad I live down here in SoCal! This would be something I would like to see and hear!

J

Thanks Lucas! I appreciate your long distance enthusiasm.

The good news is we'll be recording the show, so depending on how it goes, there may be a CD available some time in the next 6 months or so. I'll post it here if it happens.

Sounds awesome!
Not sure if I can make it tonight, but keep posting when you perform in the area!

J

DangerGirl, It's okay if you don't make it tonight because the gig is a week from tonight. Hope to see you then!
Mahalo!

TM

Yes! Please post when a CD is available.

I am a huge Julie London fan, and an even bigger Peggy Lee fan.

That's kind of the sound I wanted to hear when I first encountered Pink Martini, but sadly was underwhelmed. If you are doing stuff that is authentic and true to the great jazz-pop singers of the golden era of lounge, then I really want to hear it!!

And if you are down here and need an upright bass player for a gig, be sure to contact me. I have been playing that exact type of music for a long, long time.

J

Gee, Lucas. I wish I could fly you up for this gig. My bass player is having a hard time with some of the great bass lines on my Julie London and Peggy Lee tunes. He has a week to get his act together, so hopefully it'll turn out okay.

TM

Ha! I wish you could too!

My regular practicing usually is to CDs...such as, my Julie London 3 disc set, my Peggy Lee record, not to mention all my Frank, Dean, Tony Bennett, Sammy davis...

Oh heck, I love all that stuff, you know? I love playing along with the rat pack live album at the sands, and trying to nail all the notes, even on Dean Martin's portion (Lots of tempo changes and song medleys)

PM me with your address and I will send you a CD I have recorded of me playing this kind of music.

J

Here's a quick update. Some of us will be taking the quick 5-minute drive over to Forbidden Island for cocktails after the show. Hope you can join us!

J

Bump! Tomorrow night gang!

Pages: 1 9 replies