Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

La Mariana for sale! Only 3 million!

Pages: 1 27 replies

H
N

This story reminded me that I just got some of the mai tai bowls Gecko did for this bar. I wrote to him and he wrote back this:

Net-tiki howzit my braddah, long time I neva get to talk to my ohana from tc....running a resin and tiki mug business and being da only employee does not allow me to much time fo talk story anymore....just fo right now, I'll get back on there soon.

I had to adjust da shipping for everyone because my ebay lister put da wrong shipping cuz. It's only $15 for 2 mugs, not $20. K'den my braddah, t'anks planty, tell dem braddahs from tc I miss'um!! oh, I get some nice new desings at da end of da month including a buy it now limited edition mug that will be on ebay so when they go dat's it.

Shaka braddah Net!!!

You gotta love it when Gecko says braddah. Anyways the bowls look very nice, I cant wait to get them in my gubby little hands.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 14:18 ]

Tell SHAG to buy this thing.....NOW!!!!!!!!!!

I heard tikiskip is looking for a new restaurant too!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Ms. Annette, what a special lady and the oasis she created! It can never be replaced, it is her glow and warmth passed to each visitor. Hopefully the gods will smile upon her and the La Mariana to find the right person/s to carry her torch! Beautiful are my thoughts of time there, I hope to return soon.
Serene.

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

T

Alex I'll take bottom feeders for $200.00. Who said " Mug collectors are the bottom feeders of tiki"? Anyone?

Jeff If I had 3 MILLON bucks I would Not be looking for another restaurant,
Unless it was to eat in!

N

Bay Park Buzzy! What do I win!

[ Edited by: net-tiki 2006-09-07 19:36 ]

T

Since you are from California you will get one free math class.
Because Buzzy says you can't do simple mathematics.

On 2006-09-07 19:17, tikiskip wrote:

Jeff If I had 3 MILLON bucks I would Not be looking for another restaurant,
Unless it was to eat in!

I guess your right.

If you had 3 million dollars to blow this would be a good deal though. Just look at all the cool artifacts you could add to your home. Crap, you would need another home too!! HA!!

Oh well,

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Sep 8, 2006 8:24 AM

If you could move in upstairs, good deal. But just for the restaurant, and knowing they have this contingent lease coming up is a big issue. If you convert more of it to your home and just sort of have the business to allow you to live there, it might work out. $3 million for a big home like that is likely not a lot...

H

La Mariana is the last "true" Tiki lounge in this tropical paradise of Hawaii, .....
Paradise??
O.K. maybe "crack" is the new island "economy" in a place where a "family member" will daily rape another family member, and repeat offending thugs stomp on the heads of unconscious bike riders in Waianae ...as if it were just another baby luau.
That is precisely why Hawaii needs La Mariana.
Tiki's restaurant in Waikiki is lame except for some sparse- (but great Gecko) art. And I can't even think of another Tiki lounge in Hawaii.
So since it is a "known fact" that everyone in California is a mogul in the entertainment industry, and a rich bizillionaire, somebody, (somebody please!) hold off your penis enhancement surgery and cough up a measly 3 million from the back seat of your Hummer, and at least move La Mariana off of stinkin' Sand Island Road and closer to my house in Kailua.
Ahhhh, Kailua .....where there are still rainbows, and happy faces and unicorns............

CL

On 2006-09-08 09:06, HelloTiki wrote:
La Mariana is the last "true" Tiki lounge in this tropical paradise of Hawaii, .....
Paradise??
O.K. maybe "crack" is the new island "economy" in a place where a "family member" will daily rape another family member, and repeat offending thugs stomp on the heads of unconscious bike riders in Waianae ...as if it were just another baby luau.
Tiki's restaurant in Waikiki is lame except for some sparse- (but great Gecko) art. And I can't even think of another Tiki lounge in Hawaii.
So since it is a "known fact" that everyone in California is a mogul in the entertainment industry, and a rich bizillionaire, somebody, (somebody please!) hold off your penis enhancement surgery and cough up a measly 3 million from the back seat of your Hummer, and at least move La Mariana off of stinkin' Sand Island Road and closer to my house in Kailua.
Ahhhh, Kailua .....where there are still rainbows, and happy faces and unicorns............

Hmmmm, you have a good point. A fixer upper in CA (SF) is about 1 million...house in CA or wonderful tiki establishment in Nirvana. Jeez, if I had the cash it wouldn't be hard choice. I'm with HelloTiki...CA billionaires, awesome opportunity here! :tiki:

J

Okay! If I win the $114 Million Mega Lotto Jackpot tonight, La Mariana is mine! If not, I hope somebody comes up with the dough before she dies and the state takes over.

My last trip to Oahu was about the same time I became a TC member, and I didn't even know about La Mariana. With our annual trips to Maui, we have been bypassing Honolulu (for some obvious reasons). BUT I feel we must make a side trip to Honolulu to visit La Mariana before it is sold and any changes made. Our next trip to Maui is planned mid to late November. I would love to meet Annette and Gecko there!

• Myke

How old are you if you didn't know how old you are??

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2006-09-08 14:38 ]

K
KAHAKA posted on Fri, Sep 8, 2006 8:33 PM

Buy it Myke! What da heck?!

I

I love this place. Thanks for posting it's current situation.

Paradise??

Kailua....One of my favorite places on Oahu. I'll be there in December for vacay. Hopefully La Mariana will still be open then, I'll make sure to go this time.Too bad about what Honolulu has become.
I envy you for living in Kailua...you're a lucky guy.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2006-09-10 11:59 ]

... "crack" is the new island "economy" in a place where a "family member" will daily rape another family member, and repeat offending thugs stomp on the heads of unconscious bike riders in Waianae ...as if it were just another baby luau...

You might need a little work on your "soft sell", HT.

I was all set to buy the joint but after that horror story I'm gonna have to opt for the penis enhamcment instead. I'm thinking pinstripes.

Yeah. Sorry. It is upsetting reading about these things in our local paper lately. Some parts of Oahu are pretty scarey.
Perhaps, we need more Tikis to drive away evil spirits.

V

All this sad talk of La Mariana closing drove my family over the mountains last Saturday night for some mahi-mahi and mai-tais. SUCH a fantastic place. My parents have lived in Hawaii for 35 years and had never heard of it! We talked for a long time about how great it would be to buy the place and move it to Kailua. There is even a great new location available - Ohana Karaoke is now vacant in the heart of beautiful kailua town. It would be perfect! Any takers...? :)

On 2006-09-07 08:01, HelloTiki wrote:
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060907/NEWS01/609080328/1001

UUUghhhh.
The pain in my chest.
Please... make.... it.... stop.
KG

T

You know the old saying." If you want to become a millionaire take two million dollars and buy a restaurant"

Monica and I were just there for our 5th anniversary this past May. Highlight of our whole trip next to the outrageously delicious malasadas at Leonard's. There were a few locals sorta listening to two blind piano players playing Billy Joel tunes (including that one, yes.) It was SO David Lynch does "Blue Hawaii." I like Tiki's but this is the real deal. You gotta know if some LA millionaire buys it La Mariana will become a "tropical hip hop" club. Most rich people just ain't that hip because being cool does not pay in today's so-called culture. It seems due to the amount of people who post here a large portion of the world's population "get" tiki, but that ain't the case. We're way in the minority, planet-wise.

HelloTiki, I love Honolulu, and plan to move to the north side of Oahu someday, if possible. But after living in Oakland for years, frankly your crime stories don't scare me. Just like people who complain about traffic in Waikiki. Try 880 about 5PM on a weekday. Or the Bay Bridge just almost anytime. That's why they still call it "paradise." Just a matter of perspective. The world sucks, but Hawaii sucks a lot less. Even Honolulu.

Ironically, the Bay Area does have more tiki bars, however. To me Oahu is just one big outdoor tiki bar. Still, if La Mariana goes the way of everything else authentic, cool and retro, it weakens my argument for re-locating, at least a little.

Vantiki says: "We talked for a long time about how great it would be to buy the place and move it to Kailua. There is even a great new location available - Ohana Karaoke is now vacant in the heart of beautiful kailua town. It would be perfect! Any takers...?"

O.K.. Speaking of crime on Oahu, and how much we need La Mariana in Kailua, I'm thinkin' now I should rob my Bank.
First Hawaiian, they always "Say Yes!". So I'm sure that they'll readily agree to a stick-up note.
The Ohana Karaoke location would be perfect.
I could walk there... and then stumble home 3 blocks.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.