Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Mai Kai Mystery Bowl

Pages: 1 24 replies

G

This is not my listing, but this is a good price. The Mai Kai gift shop was (is?) selling them for $100.

S

Back when they served out of these, it was an extra $150 for the bowl. I bought one of these new ones and it is very nice.

G

I can't recall her name, but one of the ladies that works the gift shop told me this repro of their old design was briefly used in the Mai Kai, but they didn't hold up well when they got stacked in the back room. Apparently the guys back there are pretty rough with them. I guess their failed attempt turned into our gain though. If they were still using them, they might not have decided to sell any. Glad I got one.

P

i bought one of these. they seem to be a little fragile. i would try not to bump it up against anything and hand wash it only. the guy packs them well enough. i recommend a purchase.

Yep gots one too -
paid the big bucks for mine -from gift shop

a cool piece, I can see how it would not hold up to restaurant tossing but its not super fragile. Iplan to use it this weekend I'll try to post a pict in use!

R

Ditto SJ

Hey why don't you join Velveteenlounge and some of the other ohana at my tikiroom christening party in Allentown this Saturday evening (Tiki beyond the Hudson!). PM me if you're interested.

Matt

These are the ones made by Tiki Farm I am assuming? I remember seeing those on their website a while back.

Chris

P

no, they are the ones made in china by someone else, dynasty something. the tikifarm ones are brown. i don't know how sturdy they are, but knowing tikifarm's quality, i'd say they are better.

just my two cents.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Sep 8, 2006 6:41 AM

None of the Mystery Bowls were used for too long. They are expensive to make and they don't need that many of them generally. That likely means the Tiki Farm version will be in use there for a long time to come. I would actually say that this desing is the most common I have seen out there. I like others the best, the Gray ones, but this one has great detail that the Tiki Farm does not.

G

I think the Mai Kai liked these better than the Tiki Farm ones too, but since these didn't hold up to rough handling, they decided to go back to the Tiki Farm ones. I like the detail in these better. What's curious to me is how many of these are available. Based on what I was told at the Mai Kai gift shop, it sounded like they were manufactured just for the Mai Kai's use and not necessarily for sale to the public, except for maybe in the gift shop. I wonder where these on eBay are coming from, especially at only $60.

G

Hmmm. Just noticed that the eBay listing says it's a "pre-order sale". Maybe this is the mfr or distributor or something?

well here it is with no center ICE.

I wonder too about price and sudden availability

Thats beautiful!! Will you be bringing that to the ocean beach manor?? Huki Huki Homes..

Doubtful - Balls but what do you all think of this as a print? for framing or a tshirt - Its not hurl but the inside of the mystery bowl!

A friend of mine just got hers. They sure seem to be shipping them quick. It looks excellent!

G

Yeah, but the question is, who is shipping them quick? It's not like I'm losing any sleep over this, but I did email the eBay seller asking why the "pre-sale" and didn't they have them on hand and is he/she the manufacturer? The reply I got was very vague and didn't answer my questions at all. All they said was place your order and it will be mailed to you in a week or so (or something like that). Guess I'm just a little peeved that I bought mine at the Mai Kai on word from them that there was "only a few left and then they're gone!" and now there's a bunch of new ones showing up on eBay cheap. On the other hand, I guess I should be happy that others are able to buy one without shelling out too much money.

When you are sitting at home (Tiki Towers) here in England, the idea of being able to buy a 'Mystery Bowl' at the MAI-KAI itself, seems pretty cool at any price! Looks like they don't ship overseas so I'll have to get a plan together? Still, I just love it when a plan comes together!!! For all you guys 'n' gals who have got one....Fill 'er up 'n' GO!!!

Make mine a MAI-T...KAI!

S

On 2006-09-15 08:10, GatorRob wrote:
Yeah, but the question is, who is shipping them quick? It's not like I'm losing any sleep over this, but I did email the eBay seller asking why the "pre-sale" and didn't they have them on hand and is he/she the manufacturer? The reply I got was very vague and didn't answer my questions at all. All they said was place your order and it will be mailed to you in a week or so (or something like that). Guess I'm just a little peeved that I bought mine at the Mai Kai on word from them that there was "only a few left and then they're gone!" and now there's a bunch of new ones showing up on eBay cheap. On the other hand, I guess I should be happy that others are able to buy one without shelling out too much money.

Well, yours is the real thing, right? Yours has a different mark on the bottom that will show it to be real and not repro. These could dry up tomoor too. Who knows if the Mai Kai has a will to stop them.

My guess is that the Mystery Bowl that is being sold on eBay & the one on the Mai Kai website is the same bowl pictured in the Dynasty catalog on the back inside cover, I think the verbage reads custom mugs made to order or something to that effect. When I saw first saw one of these on eBay they looked different than the Tiki Farm version, so I went to the Mai Kai website and saw that it was the same one being sold at the gift shop on line, and within a couple of days a Dynasty catalog showed up in the mail and there it was right inside the back page. Maybe the seller bought them directly from Dynasty, and thats how he is selling them cheaper than on the Mai Kai website.
TTFN

G

On 2006-09-18 06:20, Swanky wrote:
Well, yours is the real thing, right? Yours has a different mark on the bottom that will show it to be real and not repro. These could dry up tomoor too. Who knows if the Mai Kai has a will to stop them.

"Made in China. DW635." I think this is the same marking the ones selling on eBay have.

G

On 2006-09-18 07:51, BambooLodge wrote:
My guess is that the Mystery Bowl that is being sold on eBay & the one on the Mai Kai website is the same bowl pictured in the Dynasty catalog on the back inside cover, I think the verbage reads custom mugs made to order or something to that effect. When I saw first saw one of these on eBay they looked different than the Tiki Farm version, so I went to the Mai Kai website and saw that it was the same one being sold at the gift shop on line, and within a couple of days a Dynasty catalog showed up in the mail and there it was right inside the back page. Maybe the seller bought them directly from Dynasty, and thats how he is selling them cheaper than on the Mai Kai website.
TTFN

I hadn't realized the Mai Kai was selling them on their web site. I don't think they were there the last time I looked, which was probably a year or more ago. But their pic shows the version that has a much lighter brown paint job and not nearly as detailed.

Dynasty does make them, by the way.

Just got mine from the Ebay sellers. Rapid shipping & sweet item. rock on.

G

Fill 'er up! When's cocktail time? :D

On 2006-09-21 20:25, I dream of tiki wrote:
Just got mine from the Ebay sellers. Rapid shipping & sweet item. rock on.

I got mine yesterday from the ebay seller as well, very cool!

Amy

I just bought one of these bowls on Ebay and it is actually not half bad. I'm going to try making an ice volcano, so when I do I'll post some pics.

Pages: 1 24 replies