Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

does anyone here like big bands and or swing

Pages: 1 10 replies

I like the sound of big bands the hustle bustle of swing the soothing flow of an Orchestra anybody else?

Yup. See the lounge music thread.

Noot a fan of most of the contemporary swing bands like Royal Crown revue, Or Big Bad VooDoo Daddy, but there are a few bands out there that go way beyond that, bands that you can actually consider real Jazz bands:

Lavay Smith and Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers
Eddie Reed Big Band
Bill Elliot Orchestra
Dorreen's New Orleans Jazz

Man I love the RCR. I guess it's just Eddie Nichols' mobster bop. You named some other good ones in there too. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is a little commercial and cartoony for me too but another one you should check out is Indigo Swing outta San Fran. They really do it.

Sam,love Lavay Smith. We caught 'em a few months ago(that's what alchoholics call last year)at the Cannibal Bar in San Diego. The placed was packed and it was a tuesday night. For a S.F. band with virtually no air play and even less local advertising I was kind of blown away. I'm a selfish bastard. I wanted them all to myself!

I am absolutely a big band fan. Always have been.
I can appreciate any music that takes talent to write or sing. But swing has always been my favorite.

I love big band and swing

i platonically have the hots for

does anyone know whose tiki bar that is? i'm assuming it's in sf...

mahalo you cats,
johnny dollar

I have to say, I really like the old 50's-60's swing, like The Billy May Orchestra, Nelson Riddle and even Jackie Gleason. Also like Duke Ellington.

http://www.samgambino.com

I adore the stuff.

Whew...that album cover gets me hotter 'n Georgia asphalt! (uh,in a strictly platonic way that is)...dammit, now we've gotten off the topic!

Pages: 1 10 replies