Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My Favorite Sister's Tiki Creations

Pages: 1 12 replies

These are just a couple of the tikis my sister has been creating. The wood is extremely hard and heavy. I have no idea what kind of wood she used nor how she did it. She didn't use any formal carving tools.

She got very ill several months ago and was under strict doctor's orders to not do anything strenuous. Being that no one in our family can sit still for a minute. This is what she thought the doctor ordered.

They made me smile. I just wanted to share.

[ Edited by: CheekyGirl 2006-09-12 21:13 ]

Tikis with cerebral pares! I love it!

B

Yes, these carvings certainly have a personality not usually seen in wood carvings. Your sister is on the right track, don't let her stop.

great stuff. i really like the last one.
tell her good job

K
Kana posted on Wed, Sep 13, 2006 6:53 PM

How do people get that dark area under their tiki eyes, mouths, ect..

Burn it? Stain it?

Thanks!
http://www.mythichawaii.com - Ancient Hawaiian info

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 13, 2006 7:20 PM

Man! That second one looks about how I feel! Wow, is she on a primitive tear or what! Tell her to keep going and please continue to share her creations with us.

-Gman

Absolutely! I'm most likely going to drive over to her neck of the woods, soon, apparently she has many, many more. She lives out in Apple Valley/Victorville, so my guess is that the wood is Mazanita.

My sister is so fun and has personality to spare...it's definitely reflected in some of the tikis. She is quite a character. Her name is Anabel, but as a kid I used to affectionately call her Animal. Her loud and energetic laugh used to set off the "clapper" she bought for my mother as a gift.

She's certaintly going to be excited about the compliments. She says she's been been shaping rocks and stones, I'm going to have to check those out. Thanks for taking a look, it's really going to make her day!

Oh, here's another view of one of the tikis...I think this one is my favorite.

Whoa, I am having a flashback to that movie "It's Alive" from when I was a kid....
Yikes!

Just kidding, I like this totally non-traditional take on the craft. It's the kind of thing that gets us thinking!
Hope your sister is doing well...

oooh. Show us the stones, show us the stones..!! T3

H
hewey posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 4:38 AM

Wild looking tikis!

Tell her to carve into the logs a bit deeper - but that style is kool :)

M

I like Dali, so these are very appealing. Ask her to continue or better yet, register an represent. Nice firsts!

Mahalo

McTiki

Although, I wanted to try my hand at carving, due to time constraints (I feel like all talk and no action lately) but since she's on R&R I think I'm going to buy her some carving tools. I think she'll make better use of them.

Thanks for the tips, I'll pass them along to her. Hopefully, I'll be able to visit soon, as I am also anxious to see the stones.

Pages: 1 12 replies