Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

juicing pomegranates

Pages: 1 4 replies

O

Hello all,

I read that Martin at Forbidden Island makes his own fresh grenadine. The pomegranates are ripe soon and i would like to try making some. Does anyone know how to seed them or can you crush them to get the juice? Thanks

TO MAKE GRENADINE: combine equal parts sugar and water in a sauce pan. Two cups of each should do it. (Sounds familiar? Yup. Grenadine is just simple syrup with a whole bunch of pomegranate seeds simmered into it.) Peel a pomegranate or two. Break the seeds apart and add them to the sugar and water. Simmer over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes until the color of the liquid is as red as the formerly red seeds are white. Let the mixture cool before you strain it.

You can also substitute POM juice during the off season.

To make grenadine with POM, combine equal parts sugar and POM in an uncovered saucepan. Simmer for about half an hour to reduce it by a quarter to a third. Allow it to cool. Then pour it into a bottle. The color is darker in the bottle, but in a drink it still provides that rosy blush. Plus, it has the natural flavor grenadine had when most drinks that call for it were invented.

Let us know how it turns out.

I've had good luck juicing pomegranates with my citrus juicer/press. Learned the hard way that it's best to drape it with an old towel before squeezing. And don't wear light colors or you'll look like you've just massacred your family...

Here's the juicer I use:

H

UD what do you use the pomo juice for?

O

Thanks, I picked up a juicer at Harbor Freight like the one above. Now for some fresh pomos and some cooking.

Pages: 1 4 replies