Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Book of Tiki II ?

Pages: 1 24 replies

M

I wonder if there will be second book published anytime soon. I have worn the binding away on the first and would love a second version to wear out. Sven are you listening?

G

You mean another publishing of the BOT or another book from Sven? The BOT has had multiple publishings (2?) and the next book from Sven (the Witco book) is due out next year.

M

I am sorry for the mix up. I meant a new book of tiki not a re print. There is a ebay auction right now for a rum barrel from the Manua Lau from here in Detroit and it made mention of a new book of tiki with some detailed information and photos of what was an amazing place. I hope there is a second book someday

M

I am sorry for the mix up. I meant a new book of tiki not a re print. There is a ebay auction right now for a rum barrel from the Manua Lau from here in Detroit and it made mention of a new book of tiki with some detailed information and photos of what was an amazing place. I hope there is a second book someday

S

From what I have heard Sven say, he does not intend to do another Book of Tiki. He does not want to rehash the same information. The new Witco book with have a bit of background and will perhaps satisfy your craving for another BoT.

H

I do know of a few people who are currently working on books that will delve into Polynesian Pop history. The projects haven't been formally announced yet, so I won't say anything more about them, but hopefully we'll have a few new rounds of reading materials in the coming months!

K

Tikibars mentioned the possibility of a "Tiki Road Trip II" in the Spring of 2007 here.
Any updates?

T

The "Book of Tiki I" is great for explaining what Tiki is about to the uninformed. Its a quick read & gives a good overview of Tiki.

T

Munktiki has a book in the works. I can't wait to own that one.

next year?

On 2006-09-18 13:13, Swanky wrote:
From what I have heard Sven say, he does not intend to do another Book of Tiki. He does not want to rehash the same information. The new Witco book with have a bit of background and will perhaps satisfy your craving for another BoT.

A new Witco book! It sounds great! Thanks for the info Swanky.

3 -25 -2002

3/25 /2002 was 3-1/2 years ago.

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2006-09-20 14:52 ]

In a way, the new book will be sort of a Book of Tiki II. When I faltered in getting the Witco book finished, Taschen agreed to do it with me, but a book ONLY on Witco was too specialized for them. I could not do a book assuming that everyone who picked it up would own the BOT, anyway, so I had to re-cap Polynesian pop history. I did it from a different angle, with all new material, which will be another cornucopia of vintage eye candy.

So now the first 9 of 19 chapters will be about the paralell evolution of pop primitivism and modernism, to put Witco firmly into a context. From then on it's Witco, with references to Tiki at the time.

Off course I again had too much material, and had to keep subject matters shorter than I liked in some cases, like the Mauna Loa has only a brief mention for example. I believe there is still room for a more complete, encyclopedic Book on Tiki temples and their paraphenalia, but that's not my interest.

"TIKI MODERN and the Wild World of Witco", due out in February 2007, will be the same size and thickness of the BOT, and I believe I managed to cram about a hundred more images into it. :)

B

All Right, Can't wait. Put me on the list!

S

Eye candy!
Eye candy!
Eye candy!
Eye candy!
I love Sven's eye candy!

"The Big Book of Tiki Eye Candy" would sell like crazy! And it's a project I have wanted to see done for a while. I would drool to see every piece of ephemera known to collectors from each restaurant. You could probably get every piece of about 5-10 collectors stuff documented and have a huge start on it. How many BoT sized volumes do you think it would take?

Swank Blather
- Talkin' atcha

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-09-21 09:59 ]

On 2006-09-21 09:58, Swanky wrote:
Eye candy!
Eye candy!
Eye candy!
Eye candy!
I love Sven's eye candy!

"The Big Book of Tiki Eye Candy" would sell like crazy! And it's a project I have wanted to see done for a while. I would drool to see every piece of ephemera known to collectors from each restaurant. You could probably get every piece of about 5-10 collectors stuff documented and have a huge start on it. How many BoT sized volumes do you think it would take?

Swank Blather
- Talkin' atcha

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-09-21 09:59 ]

Isn't that kind of what Tiki Quest is? Granted it has WAY more than just the stuff from restaurants in it, so I could certainly see a volume on just stuff from the various polynesian pop palaces.

Chris

"TIKI MODERN and the Wild World of Witco", due out in February 2007, will be the same size and thickness of the BOT, and I believe I managed to cram about a hundred more images into it. :)

Awesome, can't wait.

But eye candy is not fair, BOT was as beautifully designed and produced as the tiki items it displays.

My secret undercover day job is graphic design, so I know what I'm talking about.

Taschen makes beautiful books in general, but with Sven's knowledge of everything Tiki, it should be a wonderful book. I can't wait.
Side note, Sven, any word on when the Kon-Id line of mugs will be offered to american collectors? Bottom line, I need more Spanish Tiki mugs for my collection.
Mahalo.......Tikinomad.

T

What about a Tikicentral year book. Or at least we can do a fictional one here.

It looks bad for the Kon-Id mugs this year, I am plastered with shooting jobs in Germany til December! Helps to pay the mortgage and buy Witco, but bad for gettin my gallery going. I just have two weeks in LA now, and am grateful to be able to appear at the Hukilau, but then it's back to the fatherland, straight from Ft Lauderdale.

BUT I will HAVE to have it in place, with Kon-Id mugs and art to sell, by February 2007, because there will be a link for it in the back of the book, off course: This time I will try to benefit from the effects of my work myself a little.

T

This was discussed elsewhere -- I guess strictly speaking I should find that thread, but it's pertinent to this discussion, so:
any updated speculations as to the likelihood of a reprint of the BOT, soon ... or ever? Timing it to pair with the upcoming Tiki/Witco one would seem like the thing to do -- or would Taschen feel that there is overlap between the two, and BOT can be "retired" with no further reprints?

Great, I can't wait for the kon-id mugs to be available to the U.S., Sven you mentioned artwork as well? What kind?
Peace and respect...........Tikinomad.

On 2006-09-22 13:41, Thomas wrote:
any updated speculations as to the likelihood of a reprint of the BOT, soon ... or ever? Timing it to pair with the upcoming Tiki/Witco one would seem like the thing to do --

I sure hope so, and said so to Mr. B. There will be many buyers who will find Tiki Modern as my first book, and might get inspired by it to look for the BOT.

or would Taschen feel that there is overlap between the two, and BOT can be "retired" with no further reprints?

That would be...regrettable, as it was still a steady seller, and as a standard work should be available to future generations. "Tiki Style" is cute, but it ain't the BOT.

I don't want to comment on my gallery's slate yet other than that the name will be the program.

On 2006-09-21 07:26, bigbrotiki wrote:
So now the first 9 of 19 chapters will be about the paralell evolution of pop primitivism and modernism, to put Witco firmly into a context. From then on it's Witco, with references to Tiki at the time.
. . .

Excellent!

I love the juxtaposition of Modernism architecture, signs, etc., and tiki!

Just like the "protagonist" page at the beginning of the BOT, modernism, googie and tiki.

I'm reminded of Sabu's great site regarding the classic signs which employ the tiki shield sign.

Pages: 1 24 replies