Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Show your old restaurant ads

Pages: 1 19 replies

C
Chub posted on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 9:01 PM

Here are two old Detroit ads from the 1967 Yellow Pages. One for the Chin Tiki and the other for a non-tiki place, but I thought it was cool enough to post.

[ Edited by: Chub 2006-09-20 13:57 ]

B

[ Edited by: bifcozz 2007-02-09 21:49 ]

i have a matchbook from the junkanoo and cheifs hut somewhere in this mess of a bar....

Great Idea for a post! Here's one I have:

C
Chub posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 9:25 PM

Wow! That "the Tikis" ad is very cool. Where is that ad from Polynesiac? A phone book? or...??

Here's a shot of an old ad for the Aku Aku at the Stardust Hotel from the Yellow Pages in a 1964 Telephone Book from Las Vegas, NV. I posted this a while back in a different thread. I picked up this old phone book a couple of years ago at my local swap meet.

Wow! That "the Tikis" ad is very cool. Where is that ad from Polynesiac? A phone book? or...??

It's from a newspaper. A co-worker of mine went one of those nights and kept the ad in her scrapbook.
great post idea, by the way

i really liked the first post for my collection so i cleaned it up a bit if anyone wants a cleaner copy:

S

I'm guessing that should have said "Exciting" not "Exiting". Freudian slip?

Yeah!! good catch Swank! I never noticed that...unintentional forshadowing....

I'll have to ask her what year she went...it'd be freaky if this is from the summer before they closed!

Nice thread!

On 2006-09-22 08:05, coxsonedodd wrote:
i really liked the first post for my collection so i cleaned it up a bit if anyone wants a cleaner copy:

Rejoice! The color photo that that image is based on will be in my new book. Sans the blow fish (the graphic artist must have added it to fill the empty space), but also without that sign blocking the view of the Tiki. It was taken on the stairs leading down from the first floor to the ground floor.

H

On 2006-09-22 11:36, Polynesiac wrote:

Yeah!! good catch Swank! I never noticed that...unintentional forshadowing....

I'll have to ask her what year she went...it'd be freaky if this is from the summer before they closed!

September 9 fell on a Saturday in 1961, 1967, 1972 and 1978. What year did the Tikis close?

Here are a few submissions from Denver.

P

Here's a few more:

The Beachcomber in Vancouver, BC:

Don The Beachcomber in Waikiki:

Crying Tiki Candle, from Hawaii tourist newspaper:

Don The Beachcomber in Chicago:

Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach, FL:

Hawaii Kai, NYC:

Jimmy Wong's, Chicago:

Kahiki :

Outrigger, Seattle:

Sam's Seafood :

Tahitian Lanai, at the Waikikian:

The Reef, Long Beach:

Tiki Hut, Seattle:

Tiki Village, NYC:

Trader Vic's, Ward Ave. location, Hawaii:

Trader Vic's, Chicago:

Trader Vic's, in the International Market Place, Waikiki

South Pacific, Chicago:

Outrigger, Seattle:

S

Perhaps the first Mai Kai ad ever:

From the guestguide to Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Florida 1956-1957

There are a number of island theme places in this guide. The ad for "Two Fathoms Down" features a mermaid and hula gal. It was at 17 S. Atlantic Blvd and appears to have been an underwater restaurant/nite club...

More vintage ads here

Swank Blather
- Talkin' atcha

[ Edited by: swanky 2006-09-24 10:35 ]

here is the stockton california representation; (out of their respective phonebooks from the 60's and 70's):

the stockton islander and latitude 20, an ad that appeared off and on from 1976 to 1978.

the stockton islander and latitude 20 from 1969

the reef, i dont think it lasted very long considering it was in the same complex as the islander.

the luau. we have checked out this former location (luckily k-mart is still there!) and it was situated in the corner of this strip mall. probably had a pretty cool set up, but no evidence of it is left. i dont think it last too long either due to the booming business of the islander a few blocks north on the same street.

got tiki?

[ Edited by: tikicleen 2006-09-24 09:39 ]

As an addition to Zulumagoos great post, here is another Trader Vics advertisement for Denver. I hope Bigbro appreciates the quote of "Let allow her to go native after 6 PM"

Tropic Cafe, San Diego, CA, 1939:

Island Cafe, Coronado, CA, 1940:

The Luau Room, Hotel del Coronado, Coronado, CA 1949:

Lanai Room, Casa de Mañana Hotel, La Jolla, CA, 1952:

Christian's Hut, San Diego, CA, 1953:

Christian's Hut, San Diego, CA, 1953:

The Hut, San Diego, CA, 1954:

Bali Hai, San Diego, CA, 1954:

The Polynesian, La Jolla, CA, 1955:

Pagan Room, Town House Hotel, La Jolla, CA, 1959:

Menehune Max, Pacific Beach, CA, 1961:

Don the Beachcomber, Vacation Village, San Diego, CA, 1980: