Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Smokin' Menehunes Friday Night slam down raw in Huntington Beach

Pages: 1 36 replies

TM

starting this Friday from 6 to 9pm, at the Catalina Fish Kitchen 19171 Magnolia, Huntington Beach 92646 (714)
963-9921

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2006-09-29 11:47 ]

R

Just got this info from the horse's (jackass) mouth:

"Aloha you all,

The Smokin' Menehunes are playing every Friday night from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm at the Catalina Fish Kitchen in Huntington Beach.

If you haven't been there before, you should really get down there! The food is great, and they got this Hawaiian band that ... You get the picture.

The Catalina Fish Kitchen is on the corner of Garfield and Magnolia, at 19171 Magnolia, H.B., CA 92646. (714) 963-9921.

Hope to see you all there!

Tiki Bong (version 2000)"

WoooHooo! What a Tiki-rrific Way to start the weekend off. TGIF!!!!!

TM

Tonight! Should be a good time, if you like Hawaiian music!

R

Catalina Fish Kitchen is pretty cool. It is a very good, low key, fish eatery. They have fresh fish plates, as well as, excellent fish, shrimp, lobster, calamari, or scallop tacos & burritos. Their guacamole is amazing.

There are only two things that are a drag about the place.

1. They only have beer or wine. No tropical libations to partake of.
  2. Bong will be there.

Other than that, it will be a great place to be at on Friday nights.

WoooHooo! SoccerTiki and I are planning on being there tonight :)

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Sep 22, 2006 3:57 PM

I hear the Smokin' Men are getting all new band logos, but I may be wrong about that.

WoooHooo! What a Tiki-rrific Way to Start the Weekend:Listening to The Tunes of The Smokin Menehunes, Hearing Stories from Bill Tapia, Hanging out with Family and Friends, and Tasty Fish Tacos. If you didn't make it tonight here's what you missed:

Hope to see everyone there in the Fridays to come :)

P

Looks like a gas.

I think Tiki Bong looks younger than ever.
Must be all that cleeeeeeeeen livin'.

TM

Hey great pictures!! We had a excellent time playing last night! As always, an honor to have Bill Tapia get up there and demonstrate how awesome he is compared to the rest of the world! (I just barely made it through "satin doll"-(my head actually hurt afterwards) Shirley Orlando, (the writer of our only original song, creator of "surf city" musical, and the "uke for troops" founder) came up and did a few songs, including "Warm sands".

Those dancers were simply awesome. Authentic! I hope they do it again!

Very nice to see Woohoo and soccer, RT, my friend David and so many cool people!

Also, The food was not too shabby, huh?

Hi, we will be playing again this friday night. See first post for address!

We don't know for sure who will be sitting in with us, but as we are hosting an "open mic" anyone pretty much can. Perhaps Bill Tapia will sit in again? One never knows! If you have a true love of Authentic Hawaiian swing music, then stop on by!

A shameless bump, lest we be buried down below, arrrrrrrr!

Tomorrow night! Should be fun!! Worth it just to see Bong in action!

Al and I will be there.

Can't wait. It's been months since we've seen the Menehunes.

Sorry S/M's but we're gonna go see your old frontman Spike, Fri. night down the street @ the Surf City Saloon. Need some fast stuff once in a while to keep young. If you guys end early, come on by!

Hey we play some Surfy stuff.

Rock N' Roll

Hey you Surf City guys - Start your own thread!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Krustiki and I are planning to haul our sorry work-worn butts out to Huntington Beach to see the Smokin' Menehunes tomorrow night.

Yeah, hey sorry about that. I had nothing to do with trying to hijack this thread. I'm sure the Menehunes will be great.

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-11-10 11:49 ]

Blah

Blah

Blah.

( joking!!!)

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-11-10 11:50 ]

Tell me how it is your thread? It is a public forum.

On 2006-09-29 10:22, LapuRocker wrote:
Tell me how it is your thread? It is a public forum.

The title bar reads "Topic: Smokin' Menehunes Friday Nights in Huntington Beach."

Hence, the thread is about how this band called The Smokin' Menehunes perform on Friday nights in a town called Huntington Beach. It's not about green jello or turnips or any other band.

I'm sure your band has huge appeal to the folks here. If you give it it's own thread people might actually know (just from seeing the title) that there's a band called The Junkbucket that's playing Friday Sept. 29th at the Surf City Saloon.

You guys GO! Menehunes or Junkbuckets it all good Rock 'um Braddahs!!!!

Chongolio

I thought you guys were all friends still. I guess there is some hatred in there somewhere. Sorry for bringing it up. I really dug the S & M's when Spike was in. Had a one of a kind sound. I still dig the S & M's now too. Just thought I'd bring up Spikes band cause the S&M's are from 6-9 and 2 blocks away Junkbucket is playing at 9-ish? But I guess they don't get along anymore so sorry guys.

I only know Spike (who I consider a friend and rad guitarist). I have never met nor do I know anyone from his band. I have no idea who lapurocker is. But, yeah, it's not "our" thread.

However, last time I hard the Junkbucket was playing anywhere, I made a thread for them here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20349&forum=17&hilite=junkbucket

So, I guess lapurocker is just returning the favor?

Seriously, I'm sorry about this, I'm gonna stay out of it.....
Thanks for the words, Ben...
Have a good show tonight Menehunes. I hope you guys bought a new smoker for the tiki...

Oh man! I just got the following PM from lapurocker, which I will copy and past here:

"Youse guys want trouble? All right, you just found some, tough guy!! I think it's about time we settle this with our fists, mano a mano. After our mutual gigs this Friday, we are going to meet at the oil fields near Bolsa Chica, 12:00 midnight. No weapons. Bring whoever you need, you gutless, snivelling Anne Geddes looking losers!!!"

WELL, Lapurocker, we will MEET that challenge and be there! AND, we are bringing Pat, who will kick your sorry arses back up to Oregon where you come from. Pat (besides being a Hawaiian god of war, is also the chief Gracie Ju-Jitsu instructor for the LAPD.) He has been training Bong and I in this, and other deadly fighting arts such as Hawaiian bone-breaking and discus throwing.

For anyone who does not know, discus throwing is a throwback to the ancient Greek olympics. Yes, THAT discus throwing.

Anyway, we are damn good at it, so bring it, Lapu, bring it!

We will not stand for this, sitting down!!

Well. First off. About the PM, wasn't me. I don't even know how to do it, and I have no idea who Anne Geddes is. So, conrats to whom ever likes to start things. I'm not meeting anyone anywhere, I don't want to kick anyones ass, I don't even dislike anyone on this board. Just havin' fun. Maybe create a little where there is none. So bring your Jui Jitsu buddies, I'll buy 'em all a beer. After you watch The Junkbucket rock it.

P.S. - I love the Smokin' Menehunes. Don't know the new lineup, but used to have a blast at the shows. Just sad people don't understand how to keep it chill. Aggro is out.

P.P.S. - Who's from Oregon? I was born and raised in Orange County. Only leave for surf trips to Hawaii or New Zealand.

[ Edited by: LapuRocker 2006-09-29 11:59 ]

A

Hey Lapu,
Long time no see, It's Al (alnshely), Shelley and I divorced so now it's Al-ii. Howzit? The guys are just messin' around, they don't mean to be agro. I am sure we will all enjoy our prospective gig of choice.
Aloha and mahalo,
Al

On 2006-09-29 12:16, Al-ii wrote:
Hey Lapu,
Long time no see, It's Al (alnshely), Shelley and I divorced so now it's Al-ii. Howzit? The guys are just messin' around, they don't mean to be agro. I am sure we will all enjoy our prospective gig of choice.
Aloha and mahalo,
Al

Hi Al!

Acually, bong and pat have nothing to do with this. It's just a slow day at work for me, so I am just goofing. Anybody who wants can see both bands as we end at 9 (my bedtime)and thier gig is right down the street. Since we do open mic, Spike could even sit in with us anytime he wants.

All Good. And that Anne Geddes stuff is down right disturbing. Especially the scrotum looking ones hanging in the stockings. Why?

R

So let me see if I got this straight:

alohabros = The Sperm Whale & ?

PM from someone claiming to be "Lapurocker" = Bong up to his old tricks.

I say we all go down to the Catalina Fish Company tonight and show Bong how the TC Ohana deal with such shenanigans!

Ben, you bring some bamboo sticks to shove under his fingernails & up his urethra.

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Hey!!

You guy's are nutz!!!!

On another note....

Did any of you go to Fitzgeralds ( like 6 doors down from the Catalina Fish Kitchen) last night to see the Sex Pistols Experiance?? We had back to school night. Not, back to old school night. Dang!

When is the band "Free Beer" going to get back together??

Arrloha!!

p,s, JunkBucket Rocks!!!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-11-10 11:51 ]

Is it a Forum no-no to resurrect a 4 1/2 year old post. And to you Lucas Vigor, funny how we're buddies now. Mmmmmm. Warm and Fuzzy - Happy ending.

Pages: 1 36 replies