Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Coco Loco from the Elephant Bar

Pages: 1 16 replies

O

Hi,
There used to be a Elephant Bar in Ventura, Ca that had this signature drink the Coco Loco. Anyone know what was in it? Thanks

I believe there is still an E-Bar in Goleta by the airport. In fact... looking in this years phone book: 521 Firestone Rd, (805) 964-0779.

So if it is still there, I'll bet you can call and get some useful info from a bartender. I just may try this myself soon, and I'll let you know what I find. I trust that you wil do the same.

-T.J.

There's an EB here in Sacramento that still makes this drink. From what I recall (and its been a while)it has vodka and dark rum. Don't know about the liqueur, but The coco loco 'mix' came from a mystery plastic gallon jug. I'll try to get more info from the bartender.

D

EBar is in burbank, CA. Not sure what THEY put in it, but Coco Locos are huge in Mexico. The one's down there are in a coconut (full in husk). They chop off the top leaving a little whole in the coconut and pour in tequila, gin, triple sec, lime juice and a few other things I can't quite remember and serve it in the coconut with the origianl coconut water still in.

CL

Ahhhh, I'm so honored that they named this drink after me! :wink: Seriously, I had a Coco Loco years ago, but couldn't remember where, or find the recipe. Hope we're able to find it! Thanks so much for posting this.

On 2006-09-21 13:40, Digitiki wrote:
Not sure what THEY put in it, but Coco Locos are huge in Mexico. The one's down there are in a coconut (full in husk). They chop off the top leaving a little whole in the coconut and pour in tequila, gin, triple sec, lime juice and a few other things I can't quite remember and serve it in the coconut with the origianl coconut water still in.

Mmmmmm, we had the coconut beverage, in shell, mentioned above in Cabos several years ago. Some guy in Bahama Village, in a street stand, punching holes in coconuts and filling them with this concoction. I still remember it's yumminess.

P.S. There are 3 Elephant Bars in the SF Bay Area, if case anyone's wondering. :)

R

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink8916.html

2 oz silver tequila
1 oz light rum
1 oz gin
2 oz pineapple juice
1 tsp sugar syrup
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
1 fresh coconut

directions
Saw off the top of the coconut and pour the coconut water into a glass. Add one cup of crushed ice to the coconut and pour in all the other ingredients (including the coconut water). Squeeze in a half lime, and drop the shell in. Stir well. Add a straw and a paper umbrella, and serve.

There is an Elephant Bar in Torrance. I don't remember seeing a Coco Loco on the menu (I usually have the half way decent mojito there) but I'll check next time I go there.

The closest Elephant Bar to Ventura that I know of is in Simi Valley. It's on Madiera just south of Los Angeles/Tierra Rejada.

Thank you! :)

On 2006-09-22 07:46, Rattiki wrote:
http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink8916.html

2 oz silver tequila
1 oz light rum
1 oz gin
2 oz pineapple juice
1 tsp sugar syrup
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
1 fresh coconut

directions
Saw off the top of the coconut and pour the coconut water into a glass. Add one cup of crushed ice to the coconut and pour in all the other ingredients (including the coconut water). Squeeze in a half lime, and drop the shell in. Stir well. Add a straw and a paper umbrella, and serve.

O

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try this tonight.

V

So this grasshopper walks into a bar....
The bartender says " Hey, we have a drink named after you! "
The grasshopper says " Really, you have a drink named Steve? "

I'll be here all week.

geez was I off. Definitely trying that recipe too. Thanks Rattiki. I Must admit though I have not sawed a coconut.

A

Mr. Tiki Mai Tai Lounge in San Diego has a Coco Loco on its drink menu. It uses Pussers Rum, Capt. Morgan Parrot Bay Pineapple Rum, Orange Juice, Pineapple Juice and Coconut Cream. Sorry, don't know the measurements for the ingredients.

O

pg 86 from the Grog Log

Von Tiki
1 ounce Barenjager (what ever the hell that is)

1/2 teaspoon Stroh ( what ever the hell this is too)

3/4 ounce fresh lime juice

1 ounce Barbados rum

Well Von, I have the rum and lime but not Barenjager or Stroh. Mai Tai or beer for you.

Ojaitimo

Barenjager is a german honey-flavored liqueur.

Stroh is a high-proof Austrian rum.

R

On 2006-09-22 15:45, alohacurrent wrote:

geez was I off. Definitely trying that recipe too. Thanks Rattiki. I Must admit though I have not sawed a coconut.

No that is just the Mexican style version I found. There are scores more, was your more like this? I bet the Elephant Bar's was :wink:

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink8915.html

Coco Loco recipe

Ingredients

1 oz dark rum
1 oz light rum
1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz creme de bananes
1/2 oz pineapple juice
1/2 oz coconut cream
1/2 oz sugar syrup

Pour the rums, vodka, creme de bananes, pineapple juice, coconut cream and sugar syrup into a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes. Shake well, strain into a chilled highball glass and garnish with a pineapple wedge.

[ Edited by: Rattiki 2006-09-23 07:30 ]

ahh there it is. Time to revisit this cocktail for sure. I'll try making one then get one at the bar for a lil comparison. Good thing yesterday was pay day :drink:

O

Thanks Rattiki, what a great site.

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink1t3s428.html

Dominican Coco Loco

1 1/2 oz light rum
1/2 oz amaretto almond liqueur
1 oz cream of coconut
1 tsp grenadine syrup
3 - 5 dashes milk
1/2 oz unsweetened pineapple juice

Combine ingredients in a blender with about a 1/2 cup of ice. Blend until smooth and serve in a wine glass.

I think the other rum drink is EB's but this one looks good too.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-09-25 21:50 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies