Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Lucky Tiki Closing this Saturday, September 23, 2006 Anno Domini

Pages: 1 41 replies

Dear Friends,

It is with a profound regret and a heavy heart that I must inform you all the Lucky Tiki's last night will be this Saturday (until they find a new location). This information was relayed to me by DJ Lee. May I humbly suggest a nocturnal get together (or "shindig" as the kids say) this Saturday to lift a glass one last time to this fine establishment? As an added inducement, Saturday is a particularly interesting time at this locale for one to observe the mating rituals of the indigenous Mission Hills habitants.

I am at a loss of words and can only say, That's F*cked up, y'all!

Your humble servant,

Atomic "Atomic Cocktail" Cocktail

H

Very sad, Q-tiki and I will be there.

NOOOO....sat it isn't so. What happened?

mg

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 21, 2006 9:09 AM

GROG will be there for Lucky Tikis's final night. Maybe GROG can drag Kirby along, too.

C

It's closing because they didn't pick my Tiki Bar name as a winner in their name-a-new-bar contest.

"Gilligan's Smile" shoulda won.

D

Will definately be there after work on Friday!!!!!! Sorry to hear its closing, but happy to hear its only to move to a new location!

Hi friends,

Yes, it's sad but true.
This will be the last weekend of the Lucky Tiki (at it's current location.)
Lee and I just heard this week ourselves, and it was a surprise to us too, so I didn't want to jump the gun and be the first to report the news on TC.

Don't worry, all the fabulous artifacts, decor and carvings (and booze!) will be safely stored until their new home is found. No, we will NOT be disclosing the location of said storage space you crazy collectors!-So don't ask!!! : D

Let us not mourn, instead let us celebrate a great 2 years of good friends and tasty libations!Let's send off the Lucky Tiki right as she embarks on her new voyage!

As luck would have it, I already had plans to be out of town this weekend, so I can't join the fun for the final night Saturday.
BUT I WILL BE THERE TONIGHT! THURSDAY!
So join me friends, and we will raise our glass in TC style to the Lucky Tiki!

I am glad that I got to visit, even if it was with Kirby.

Just kidding. Since I suffer from the same disease as Grog I make bad Kirby jokes.

H

Here is a good joke for Kirby.
Kirby, the twins will be there on Saturday! :) :)

I thought this day was coming soon. What a bummer! I can't make it Saturday, but I"ll be there tomorrow right after work to tip a few back for the last time.

P

Too bad. Another tiki bar lost. This also means no more excuses to stop for dinner at the Safari Room before an night of drinking at Lucky Tiki. Last chance Saturday!

K
kirby posted on Fri, Sep 22, 2006 6:53 AM

In its short history, it became a legend amongst tiki bars.The meeting place for many hardcore tiki people,and has been an introduction to many newbies alike, what a modern tiki bar is, and what a good tiki bar should be. From the expert mixology of the fabulous drink goddess suzy,to the exotic sounds of master music man, Dj Lee.The Enchanted modern tiki Artifact that adorn every corner of this enchanted place,Not to mention It has welcomed many other awesome tiki artist to Share there own brand of tiki art on its walls in its legendary art shows,and this all happened on a sleepy Sunday night...It also holds its own Every other night of the week as a watering whole and gathering point for some of the friendliest and most eclectic people Ive I have ever met.
Ive had a great time hangin at the lucky tiki,the last couple years and I cant wait till it reopens bigger and better than before..Thanks Lucky Tiki your the BEST......Kirby

K
kirby posted on Sat, Sep 23, 2006 4:41 PM

who else is planning on comming out for the last bash at the lucky tiki tonight (sat)...I know grog and I will be there...

We will try to stop by.

What time?

Any one else?

K
kirby posted on Sat, Sep 23, 2006 7:09 PM

Im gonna head out around 7:30,or 8:00 hit up hoglywoglys or the safary room for grub,then head over to The Lucky Tiki around 9:30 or so..see ya there

H

I will be there with q-tiki after 10pm.

It's very sad to see the place closing :(

S

"Until we meet again".

I was only lucky enough to get to visit the Lucky Tiki once in all my travels, but for me, it is best remembered like this

and like this

(These were taken on one of our last nights in the L.A. area before we moved along on the CA [mostly] Coastal Crawl last year.)

Raise a mug to our enchanted drinking room!

http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Lucky-Tiki

Wander around, enjoy the Lucky Tiki (in this location anyway) one last time. Oh, if those walls could talk!

What the Hell???
why didn't you call me Kirby?
I've been busy lately and haven't had time to get on TC.
I was in Norht Hollywood on Sat night for the Ghastly Ones, and could have easily swung by before hand.
well at least they will re-open somewhere else, but would have been nice to swing by
one last time.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Very sad. I only made it up there once, but I remember it fondly. It was great to see some tiki returning to my old stomping grounds in the north Valley.

San Diego is in sore need of its own hole-in-the-wall tiki bar. The Bali Hai is great, but hardly a hole in the wall, and Mister Tiki's doesn't do it for me.

I think I'm gonna hurl!

why, why, why,?.... the Wild Cherry & now this! even worse! whats happening in my old home town, I was just gettin' up the nerve to say "Hi" to any other TC Ohana that might be lurking inside. what happened! Hope you find a building soon.

After a fine grazing at the bear pit, I thought it would be cool to swing by the lucky tiki for a drink......Boy was I shocked!!. I have not been eyeballing T.C. in a while so I had no idea..%&*#!!. I hope they find a cool local ASAP. I will be checking back weekly. Very sad.

I received a MySpace bulletin from The Lucky Tiki a few days ago stating that the owners are actively hunting for a new location. Fingers crossed on this one...

D

Good to hear! The Lucky Tiki was one of my favorite haunts!

ever reopening? new location found??? hmm....?

chirp chirp chirp say the crickets.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey, all good things come to those who wait!

TC will be the first to know!

BB

Thanks Atomikitty,
Your reply actually has a feeling of hope in it.

let us know!

M
Murph posted on Fri, Feb 22, 2008 4:31 PM

Has the Lucky Tiki finally gone to the light or is there still a sliver of a pulse?

Every once in a while I hear there's a faint pulse.

On 2008-02-22 18:09, Bora Boris wrote:
Every once in a while I hear there's a faint pulse.

Is it going to reopen - ever?

I am friends with Bobby and see him more through car stuff. Don't quote me, but if he finds the right spot it could happen. Again don't quote me.

Hopefully, somewhere in the San Fernando Valley. :)
Keeping my fingers crossed!

A

On 2008-02-25 21:37, Tiki Diablo wrote:
I am friends with Bobby and see him more through car stuff. Don't quote me, but if he finds the right spot it could happen. Again don't quote me.

Whoops! Sorry

Sorry Diablo, quoting yet again....

There's a spot in my neck of the woods. An old abandonded restaurant on Roscoe/Louise. The White Horse Inn. It's been boarded up and at the moment has ivy growing all over the front. It's been closed for a number of years. It had curved faux leather booths, dark wood, dimly lit, homey and old-school. Its not a huge place either.

It's centrally located in the Valley, good visiblity, as it's on a main street. Surrounded by residential neibhborhoods, lots of street and neighboorhood parking. There's already a few old neighborhood bars that the locals walk to already, I bet they'd walk to this one as well. Hell, I know I'd be there.

Downside, it's sandwiched between a small used car lot and a liquor store. The car lot has a tall chain link fence, so it's easy enough to block that ugly view.

H

I agree with Cheeky what's her face...:). Great location and perfect for a tiki bar. I am there with you.

On 2008-02-29 16:20, CheekyGirl wrote:

Sorry Diablo, quoting yet again....

There's a spot in my neck of the woods. An old abandonded restaurant on Roscoe/Louise. The White Horse Inn. It's been boarded up and at the moment has ivy growing all over the front. It's been closed for a number of years. It had curved faux leather booths, dark wood, dimly lit, homey and old-school. Its not a huge place either.

It's centrally located in the Valley, good visiblity, as it's on a main street. Surrounded by residential neibhborhoods, lots of street and neighboorhood parking. There's already a few old neighborhood bars that the locals walk to already, I bet they'd walk to this one as well. Hell, I know I'd be there.

Downside, it's sandwiched between a small used car lot and a liquor store. The car lot has a tall chain link fence, so it's easy enough to block that ugly view.

The White Horse Inn! That was one of my parents' favorite restaurants -- we used to go there all the time for special family occasions when I was a kid. Sorry to hear it's defunct -- but if it became the new home for the Lucky Tiki, that would make my year!

T
TikiG posted on Fri, May 22, 2009 8:47 AM

Its' been over a year since the last post here - does anybody have anything new to report?

cleaning my mugs and reorganizing them,
and I found my Lucky Tiki Mug,
it was hiding in a forest of mugs,
I thought maybe I had given or traded him away.

I miss the Lucky Tiki.
but I don't miss the drive.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

P

My Crazy Al Lucky Tiki mug was broken in the earthquake last week.

Pages: 1 41 replies