Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

2 copies beat-up "Book Of Tiki" needed

Pages: 1 15 replies

Hi,
I want to do a collage down the back wall of the 4-person booth in my new Tiki Bar, cutting out images from The Book of Tiki. I'll gladly trade for 2 books (2 needed to make the mural work as a lot of the pages have images on both sides that I'd like to use). If anybody's interested, please email me at [email protected].
Mahaloz!
Holden

Holden, I think I have some lying around somewhere...
Since I learned my lesson from not being notified about the discontinuation of the hardcover, and no date has been given about a 4th printing so far, I have been ordering flexi cover BOTs where I could find them on the internet. I will peruse the backcover of Tiki Magazine for suitable trades :)

H
hewey posted on Fri, Sep 22, 2006 4:49 PM

Cutting into the BoT is like cutting into the bible man! Its sacriligous! :)

And who lets a BoT get shabby?

Seriously did you consider some quality colour photocopying?

P

can't you just scan them and have them printed out on a large format printer? i have 2 60" printers if you decide to go that way.

Anyone who's Book of Tiki isn't beat-up by now has no business in this group.

T

I say do copies. You can also do postcards, Matchbooks. That way you can do ten of the same hula girl along the top. After you are done cover all with white Elmers glue. Let that dry. Then use amber shellac over all. Gives it that old look.
The glue seals the paper so the shellac dose not sink in.

Your new bar is going to be great!

Both will actually work. The Purple Orchid was the first to honor my work by wallpapering their men's room, (then after they demanded, the womens' restroom too), with pages from the Book. This wall covering is an old tradition in theme bars like Neptune's Net, which used to have one toilet wallpapered with matchbooks, the other with buttons.

Then there is that nouveaux Tiki bar in downtown Orlando(?), where me and Naomi and Humuhumu got busted because I took them into the men's room to show them how the owners had color-xeroxed and blown up images from the book, and mixed it with Shag and other Tiki sources to a pleasing effect. (I still liked the Purple Orchid job better).

And consider: At Taschen's price, with ca 250 full color pages, using the original pages is actually cheaper than color copies, only 8 c (!) per page (or 16 c, if you want to use both sides and need two copies), and probably more colorfast and durable, paper-wise.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-09-23 08:32 ]

P

i would do it on adhesive back vinyl that would be colorfast and waterproof. you could always give it a coat of decopage to give it some authenticity.

just a thought.

K

I have a couple of extra Tiki Style books...

H
hewey posted on Sat, Sep 23, 2006 2:08 AM

Im actually going to do a similar effect on my station wagon door trims. Surf, tiki and hula/Polynesian pics in sepia.

On 2006-09-22 18:31, bigbrotiki wrote:

Then there is that nouveaux Tiki bar in downtown Orlando(?), where me and Naomi and Humuhumu got busted because I took them into the men's room to show them how the owners had color-xeroxed and blown up images from the book, and mixed it with Shag and other Tiki sources to a pleasing effect. (I still liked the Purple Orchid job better).

You should have told the owners that they just wanted to see the big tiki!!! :wink:

W

"...Did you consider some quality colour photocopying?" -hewey-

It might never occur to a lotta of folks to make a copy of somethin'. Smogbreather just may be one of those people who'd never think of takin' an original and makin' copies of it. The whole concept of makin' numerous exact replicas of an original...And quality replicas at that...Over and over and over again just may be beyond him.

G

On 2006-09-22 18:31, bigbrotiki wrote:
Then there is that nouveaux Tiki bar in downtown Orlando(?)

Yep, that would be the Waitiki in downtown Orlando.

As Bigbro said, it's likely cheaper to purchase copies of the book to use, rather than making copies w/ a photocopier.

Amazon currently has the BOT listed for $12.95! Who knows if they will actually ship for that price, as it gives a "4 to 6 week" order time... I'm guessing it's a price mistake.

Link to Amazon

Chris

[ Edited by: Kona Chris 2006-09-25 22:43 ]

Imagining someone taking scissors or razorblades to the "book" makes me cringe a bit

I

The Book of Tiki is one of the few books - perhaps the only one - that I own two copies of. I decided that I needed a padded cover backup, in case something happened to the original ... and now I have one upstairs, one downstairs, and I seem to refer to both quite regularly.

Vern

Pages: 1 15 replies