Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Make your own Tiki Central 'Ohana Hut!

Pages: 1 7 replies

I made two cakes to bring to TC night at Forbidden Island this past Wednesday... one was a hula girl, and the other was a Tiki Central 'Ohana Hut. I've posted step-by-step pictures of the building of the 'Ohana Hut cake on my photo site:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/cutupcakes/ohanahut/

The 'Ohana Hut takes a cake baked in a 9"x13" pan. I used chocolate cake, and green frosting with mint extract in it, 'cause FRESH MINT makes everything better. Of course, mint extract isn't fresh, but you get the idea. I did bring along some fresh mint for garnish. If I try to make this cake again, I'll probably see if I can find a rum cake recipe that will handle the configuration. The roof was made of green-dyed coconut. I used black icing for the details. As you can probably tell, I have not yet mastered icing on an upright surface.

Sadly, unlike Munktiki, I do not have shipping down to an art, and the cake didn't survive the 45 minute drive to Forbidden Island. The same thing happened when my Mom tried to bake a cake using the same pattern when I was a kid. So don't try to transport this cake! Eat it where you bake it!

I've posted step-by-step instructions for the hula girl on my blog, which might also be helpful:

Hula Girl Cut-Up Cake

T

I'm speechless. It's amazing, and I can't even begin to imagine how much time that must have taken.
I think my friend might have a good (read: strong) rum cake recipe. I'll see if I can hunt it down. The recipe, not my friend. If I recall, this particular recipe yields a reasonably firm cake that might be good for construction.
I think a fruitcake might also be a suitable alternative for an ohana hut hobby kit, given it's bricklike qualities. Nothing says "aloha" and "ohana" quite like a fruitcake. Well, maybe a kick in the nuts. :) In all seriousness, my Mom makes a pretty good fruitcake, much better than those things people ship in tins to each other every year. I don't think that even deserves to be called fruitcake.
Now I have a craving for Day-Glo green colored cherries.

Where do you put the straws?

M
  • Haole'akamai wrote
    Where do you put the straws?

Knock it off, this is a family website. Wholeseome, considerate, thoughtful folk read these pages. It's like PAX.....with bewbies (sometimes).

Any hoo, I like pie. But, it's a nice cake, Humu.

I don't believe in Beatles, I believe in Andy.
Ringo midnite

H

On 2006-09-26 16:49, TikiJosh wrote:
... I can't even begin to imagine how much time that must have taken.

It didn't really take much time, at all (as evidenced by my comically-bad icing job). Baking the cake takes no time at all with mix (I think it took all of 5 minutes to throw together & toss in the oven). Between dying the frosting, the coconut, assembling and frosting, it probably took about 15-25 minutes, I think.

I like the idea of using shredded coconut for thatch, most people either love or hate the stuff some would have no problem using it for home improvements.
I see on their website the closest Wilton has to any "tiki" cake pans is a pineapple shaped one. Suddenly a rum cake shaped like a pineapple sounds tempting.

MT

Humuhumu wouldn't let me have a slice, because I was number 101 on the list. Kidding!!! That's a joke!!! :D

On 2006-09-27 17:51, Mai Tai wrote:
Humuhumu wouldn't let me have a slice, because I was number 101 on the list. Kidding!!! That's a joke!!! :D

I thought it was funny.

Pages: 1 7 replies