Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau-related question

Pages: 1 23 replies

It looks like I'm arriving at the Fort Lauderdale International Airport at 11:57am on Thursday the 5th. How difficult will it be for me to get to the Bahia Cabana from there? I don't have any idea about the distance. If anyone will be at the airport around the same time would you be interested in splitting a cab?

Thanks in advance!

The airport is just south of the barrier islands where the Cabana & the Clipper are located. A fairly straight shot up US-1 and then onto the causeway that will let you there.

You could also do the airport shuttle, which will be considerably cheaper than a cab. Sign up for it while in baggage claim. Its can be about a half hour wait before departure, but its worth not having to watch the meter like you would on a cab.

Safe journey!

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-09-23 07:49 ]

K

Dang, Fred... we'd surely would be happy to pick you up, if we were down there by that point, and had room. Unfortunately, that's about the time we'll be leaving St. Pete, and then we'll have a van literally STUFFED with gear, as we're bringing about everything except the kitchen sink (and I'm not so sure about that, even)!

I agree w/IDoT -- sign up for and take the shuttle. Way cheaper, and no meter watching. It takes a bit longer, but if you're not in a hurry, or have no appointments of any kind to make, it's a great alternative.

See you down there!
T

P

Well, I'm flying in from Tampa at 1pm. (As if Southwest were never late - HA.)
But you should already be in the ocean by then.

I'm planning on cabbin' it to the hotel.

I wouldn't ride with the Kats anyway.
None of them ever seem to know where they are.

That's one of the things that makes them so endearing.

Does the Sheraton Yankee Clipper provide a free van service to and from the hotel? The Bahia Mar last year did not provide such a service.

The last two years I was in the same situation - flying into Fort Lauderdale, and then needing to get to the Hukilau hotels.

The airport shuttle van process - (the generic vans that travel to all of the area's hotels, not the ones dediacted to a specific hotel) can be somewhat chaotic, especially if the airport area is full of people waiting for rides. Two years ago, in this confusion, my bag was packed into the back of one van, and I got in and crawled to the back seat of what would have been a sardine-crammed ride. I discovered at the last minute, before the van pulled away, that this particular van was headed not for the Bahi Mar, but to the Miami airport, so the van occupants could reach their flight in time. Fortunately, I was able to extract both myself and my bag in time, and I had to wait a bit for a different van.

The van process can be confusing, as the van ticket-sellers and attendants try to properly allocate the available vans with the people waiting in line. If there are numerous people, the overall irritation factor can be high.

Last year, my experience was different. The main van ticket-seller asked me where I was going, and when I replied the Bahia Mar, he lowered his voice and recommended that I take a taxi instead, saying it would be much quicker and not cost much more. That one-way taxi ride to the Bahia Mar cost me about $15 - I can't remember he exact cost, but with tip it was definitely under $20 ... and this year I plan on doing the taxi option again.

My recommendation is thus to take the taxi. If airport shuttle-van area is not rushed or full with people, and you want to save $7-$10, and arriving perhaps a half hour later is not an issue, then I could recommend the shuttle van process too. If the van-area is full of irritated people, spring for the taxi ride, and it will be good for your Hukilau soul to arrive in much better spirits.

Vern

Looks like I will miss you by a few hours. I am expected to arrive at the Florida International Airport at 1:50pm, Thur. the 5th. If your willing to wait 2hrs. Fink(probably not), I'd be happy to split cab fair w/you to the Bahia. I am going to take Vern's advice with the Taxi route. If anyone else, is arriving at the (FLL) around 1:50pm on Thur. the 5th and wants to split cab fare to the Bahia Cabana, shoot me a PM.

Mahalo!

I would agree that the shuttle is the way to go, but if you need a lift and the timing is right I could swing through the airport and drop you off at the Cabana. I should be arriving in Ft. Lauderdale around 5:00 or so. I'd be glad to give you a shout on the cell.

Swamp

P

I'm not sharing my cab with anyone.
'Cuz we're stopping by the liquor store and will need all of the passenger space.

So if you see me there... don't wave or say "hi" because I'll be forced to ignore you.
A double batch of Trader Vic's scorpions don't make themselves.

Cab it. The wife took the cab from Ft. Lauderdale Airport last year to the Bahia Mar and it was under $20. No hassles... nice and quick.

Thanks everyone! Looks like the cab will be my best option. Pablus, I didn't want to sit next to you anyway. :wink: Just save me some of that Scorpion...

It's so soon, I can't wait!!

J
JTD posted on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 2:02 PM

finkdaddy, roomy, buddy. I'll pick you up. Send me an e-mail or pm with the flight info.

On 2006-09-24 14:02, JTD wrote:
finkdaddy, roomy, buddy. I'll pick you up. Send me an e-mail or pm with the flight info.

You are too kind!! I'll look up the flight info and send a pm your way.

Mahalo nui!!

WEAR ALOHAWEAR ON THE PLANE, EVERYONE.

If we see each other in the airport, we can link up to share rides! More $ for merch/cocktails!

"I see you are wearing a brightly colored Hawaiian shirt with a tiki pendant around your neck; are you perchance going to a Hukilau? Huki Huki etc.?"

"Why yes! And I take it by your tropical fabric capris, tiki earrings, and hibiscus flowers in your hair that you too are Huki-bound? Let us make haste and share a cab! There are many cocktails waiting to be consumed! I'm TikiLetch!"

"TikiLetch! I love your posts! I'm TikiLush! Yes, let's!"

See how easy that was :)

Arriving at 5:07 Thursday,
Formikahini

S

On 2006-09-25 10:30, Formikahini wrote:
WEAR ALOHAWEAR ON THE PLANE, EVERYONE.

If we see each other in the airport, we can link up to share rides! More $ for merch/cocktails!

We asked the guys flying in for Coon Tiki to wear aloha shirts so we could spot them at the airport when we picked them up. That's when I realized just how many men wear Hawaiian shirts daily! It starts to look like some sort of loosely associated cult!

On 2006-09-25 11:14, Swanky wrote:

It starts to look like some sort of loosely associated cult!

There's nothing loose about it... it's a cult!

*said with the utmost of respect (of course)

P

Bumping this old thread and looking for any Taxi/Shared Van updates or experiences during last December's Hukilau.

First timer here. Holly and I arrive many hours apart on the 13th, so I'll be heading to the hotel solo. Many in this thread state about a $15 plus tip Taxi ride. Is that still the case?

I'm leaning toward the Taxi ride, as it looks to be only about a 15 minute trip from FLL to the Yankee. Don't like the idea of spending an hour or more crammed in a shared ride van for what would normally be a 15-20 minute trip.

So, I'm looking for advise and your experiences from the last Hukilau.

Also...my arrival at FLL is scheduled at 4:00pm on June 13th, and headed to the Yankee Clipper. If anyone else is getting in around that time and wants to connect up at the airport and share a Taxi...give a shout and maybe we can hook up and split the ride costs and save some money for drinks! :)

Ditto for Holly, who's scheduled into FLL at 8:05pm, also on the 13th.

Mahalo!

M

I am flying in on the 13th (wednesday) around 6 pm and driving from Miami Airport directly to the Maikai. Who is on the same track and needs a lift?

Hey Prem-Ex!

I'd due to arrive at the Ft. L airport also on Wed the 13th, but at 4:58 on Continental.
If you feel like hanging out for another hour after your 4:00 arrival in order to split a ride, I'm game!
But I completely understand if you wanna start gettin' your Huki on ASAP.

I had fun running into King Kuke last year, who hopped in the car with me and my swell roomie Sandra who'd rented a car for the event. See y'all soon!
F

J

Just got an email from Southwest Airlines that they're having a sale to Greater Fort Lauderdale. The fares require a 14-day advance purchase, so if you live in an area that Southwest serves, haven't bought your plane tickets yet, and can do it in the next day or two, you might find yourself a deal!

Here's a link to the specials.

M

Thanks for the info and the bump, hubby and I are coming, it's good to know the taxi's are pretty reasonable. We're arriving early Thursday. :)
Can't wait!!

HC

swooping down Thursday from Providence (R.I...not divine!) ......about 2:30 on Southwest (thanks for the tip Jen-Tiki)....amicable lanky fellow with grey muttonchops (and red & black Aloha shirt)....TAXI !.....let's get there and catch up on the Aloha spirit ! yeah I'm ready

S

That's about when I arrive. Heading to the hotel and then be at the Mai Kai for Happy Hour at 5PM... We are coming from Nashville. I'll look for you in the airport...

P
PremEx posted on Sun, Jun 3, 2007 8:56 AM

On 2007-05-28 11:29, Formikahini wrote:
Hey Prem-Ex!

I'd due to arrive at the Ft. L airport also on Wed the 13th, but at 4:58 on Continental.
If you feel like hanging out for another hour after your 4:00 arrival in order to split a ride, I'm game!
But I completely understand if you wanna start gettin' your Huki on ASAP.

Thanks! But I'm afraid it will have more to do with getting my jammies on! :wink:

Normally, I would be more than happy to wait the hour for your flight to arrive. But earlier that morning I have to get up at 3am to catch my LAX-DEN-FLL connecting flight from Hell...and knowing that I won't get much sleep the night before and can't sleep on airplanes...I think I'd rather head to the Clipper straight away so that I can get a couple of hours sleep before Holly arrives from Houston. Otherwise...I'm not going to be worth poop for the rest of the evening. For me...it's going to be a loooong travel day!

But if my flight should be late in arriving and yours is not late...then maybe we can still share? I'll PM you with my cell and flight numbers and all that.

Mahalo!

HC

Sounds good Swanky ...and the added advantage of having two sets of sideburns in a cab!....Be looking for you.... I'll pm my cell ....happy hour ...at the Mai Kai ! ! Aloha

Pages: 1 23 replies