Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Slowly spreading tiki in Australia

Pages: 1 5 replies

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 2:27 AM

Hey

Im slowly meeting some local tiki folks and spreading the tiki obsession with others down here in Australia. Marcus is a top bloke but the bastard lives 8 hour drive away so I cant just drop in for a carving session and some rum :( Need some more local tiki peeps!

One of the guys Ive done some pinstriping sessions with is keen to get more into the tiki stuff. Ive even helped convince him to do his single cab split screen kombi with a tiki theme! hahahaha....

And today I was at a local car show and I spot this sweet local kustom Buick Riviera. Now Ive seen this thing slowly develop into a kool kustom, each time it having less badges or its lower or kool paint etc etc. Id seen the driver a couple of times and hes got some sweet traditional lowbrow tatts, with some kool tikis on there. So I guessed he dug tikis. Today the Rivs got satin mint green paint with unfinished silver flake roof and "TIKI" plates. I said to myself I gotta go a have a chat to this guy. And yeh, hes into tiki and hopefully hes gonna check out TC tonight (Hey Damian, if you're on here! I wanna see some pics of that Riv man!). He's got some kool plans for his tiki theme on his Riv, so I cant wait to see em.

And hopefully the g/f and I will have a place soon so Im looking forward to getting a tiki lounge set up and being a bad influence on more people! :)

My g/f is currently doing a beauty therapy course, and the eventual idea is for her to work from home. The way I see it, she'll have her business and ill have the home tiki lounge set up to entertain the boyfriends/husbands and have few drink :) hahahaha

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 6:04 PM

I would imagine Sydney is well big enough to have a reasonable lowbrow art scene, there is a dedicated gallery in Melbourne too:
http://www.outregallery.com/
I'm sure it's only a matter of time before more downunder tikiphiles find their way here. I know there are a few of us here in NZ because the guy who is importing munktiki and tiki magazine is selling them as fast as they arrive.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 8:20 PM

Yeh Outre is kool, but too pricey for a lowly pleb Westy like me. But they do have some nice books there, Ive got a few. Im an hour or so out of Sydney CBD so cant exactly go in there regularly.

Sydney is not tropical enough like Brisbane, and not trendy enough like Melbourne, so tiki isnt too big.

Itd just be cool to have some local mates to talk tiki crap with and get together and carve and make torpical cocktails etc. :)

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2006 4:04 AM

The aforementioned Riv - yeh baby! :)

M

Whoooo... Sweeet ride! Those Rievieras realy make nice kustoms :)

Hey Hewey, I'm old enough to remember white walls being on every car. They sure do make an auto look cool, Wendy

Pages: 1 5 replies