Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hukilau - 5 years!

Pages: 1 14 replies

I

I am curious. I have been fortunate to have been able to attend all four of the previous Hukilau events, and will be there for the 5th. Are there any others who will also be attending their fifth Hukilau?

Special thanks to Kiliki, Swanky, and the others who were involved with the initial Hukilau creation, or have been involved with putting on all the past and current Hukilau events. All of you have provided myself and others with an event that has been worth returning to year and year again!

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2006-09-26 07:14 ]

I missed the first one but have made it to all the others! This will be number 4 for me!

It is definitely one of the most amazng Tiki Events ever created!! Kudos to everyone involved especially Tiki Kiliki for her hard work and dedication year after year.

See everybody soon! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

This will be Savage Patty's and my 3rd trip to Hukilau. We are really looking forward to seeing people we've met and meeting new ones and of course having a drink or two or several. I'd like to echo Jeff Central in thanking Tiki Kiliki for all her hard work. Just a little over a week away. Woohoo!

Having 2003, 2004, and 2005 under my belt I wouldn't miss it for the world. I've almost gotten to where my year revolves around Hukilau! It's "The Big One"!

K

Also like Jeff, I have been to all the ones in Florida.
Can't wait!!!

S

I am thinking of all the people who were there in 2002 and I really don't know any of those folks who have been at the rest beside you Vern. Tristan and Bre-elle missed one year. Geoff and Marian missed one. Tiki Bob, Sven... Maybe the Bemoll's? I didn't meet them then, so I don't recall. Oh, yeah! King Kukulele! He has been to all of them! But he does not count I don't think. Formica was there in 2002, but missed some...

The pictures I have are HERE on the site. Maybe looking through will remind me. Kreepy Tiki have been there... Hoffa! He's been there for all of them!

KK

As residents of Atlanta, my wife Michéle and I have been to all five.
The first one was low key and incredibly fun.
We went out of curiousity after seeing a Xeroxed flyer at a local independent video (NOT yet DVD) store.
I seem to recall my initial reaction was something like, "look honey- someone has put together an event who thinks TIKI is still fun!"
Then I found out about Tiki Central, and now my hair is shinier, my skin clearer and my liver more livery-er.
See you at the Mai-Kai next week!

"More livery-er"!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wish I'd known you then, Kava King! Glad I've met you since, at least.

Yep, lucky me got to be at the first. I missed only one: the first Mai Kai one.
(Can't remember what kept me away, but I KNOW it musta been important. Spain? I think I was spending the summer in Spain on the students' dime. So sue me!)

For Vern and me, Atlanta Hukilau was something like our 4th or 5th tiki (or tiki-related) event together, starting with the Kahiki Closing Party.

Yeah, just had to rub it in...... :wink:

Counting down the hours 'til H-lau 2006,
F

Please note: I'm gonna resist the temptation to refer to anyone as an "old-timer" in this post.

I would however like to invite all of the "Hukilau Veterans" to read this and participate.

I hope to see you all this year at Hukilau 2006!

Mahalo!
otikiniko

This is my first year attending. Work has always gotten in the way and this year I was determined not to miss Hukilau come hell or high water (as they say). I'm really looking forward to it. I'm sure this is going to blow my weekly excursion to Trader Vic's Atlanta out of the water. The only hang up is that my Wahine cannot attend. I'm bringing friends but am bummed that she is missing out.

Arriving on Thursday. Clipper. Second Show Saturday Night.

Swamp

Well, we have only been to the Florida shows.... We missed the first year in Atlanta.

I would like to add to those that are coming for the first time: You are in for one-hell-of-a-ride! If you have never been, there is no basis for comparison and words wont do it.

For those that are returning for the second or more time: This year is going to make last year look tame! Bring extra film, extra batteries, extra whatever your camera takes. Borrow an extra liver, bring an extra swimsuit (or not!), bring whatever you have to bring but be here!

Can't Wait! I am mixing the Mai-tais right now!

I was pretty new to FL and had been dating my now fiancee for 6 months or so and we saw the info for the first Hukilau, which was on his birthday weekend. We woke up and were going to go to Atlanta for it, but at the last minute decided to explore Florida's tiki.

We drove from Orlando to Daytona and spent all day driving down US 1 and A1A looking for random tiki places. We knew that there was a good tiki place in Ft Lauderdale but didn't know the name or where it was. We found it and it was our first Mai-Kai encounter. So, we've gone to the Mai-Kai for all the Hukilaus, including Atlanta :wink:

Now, five years later, we're going to our 4th Hukilau and then getting married at the Mai-Kai the following Saturday!

Mahalo to everyone for your comments! I'm so looking forward to seeing everyone this year. It's going to be quite the celebration!

I

Wow ... Between Kiliki, Swanky, Kava King, Hoffa, and the Kreepy Tiki crew, I'm in good company. That company is only embellished by the presence of the many people who have joined the Hukilau crowd since then.

There is one other couple who may have been at all the Hukilaus, but I can't remember there names. He is tall, a full frizzy beard, both are very friendly, perhaps in their late 40's, and every year I go up to them to say Hi .... and then the next morning, I've fogotten their names. I can't recall seeing their photos on Tiki Central, or any of their posts .... but their presence is remembered, and I hope I see them again this year.

And you West coasters ..... I still have not made it to a single Tiki Oasis, so I am somewhat negligent on my tiki travels .... but some day!

I always look forward to the Kreepy Tiki and the Chisel Slinger vending tables at Hukilau - I've bought items from at the first Hukialu, and major purchases since then. Although they are different styles, there is good tiki karma coming from both of them.

Vern

S

I think The Muggler may have been to all of them, with his wife, and that might be who you are thinking of Vern. Here's a picture:

Pages: 1 14 replies