Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau webcam(s)!

Pages: 1 9 replies

H

I'm planning on bringing a webcam to some of the late-nite room parties at Hukilau, to stream video of the parties to you fine folks at home -- so you can kinda, sorta be there! No guarantees yet, as I won't know a) if I'll be able to get an Internet connection, and b) how comfortable I'll be bringing my stuff to a party full of spill-prone drunks (myself included). But I think it's a plan worth pursuing. I've got Saran Wrap.

I've created a chatroom in Userplane, which lets me stream live webcam video. Here's how to see it:

• Follow this link: Humu Kon Tiki Webcam

• Log in to Userplane (you don't need to create an account if you don't want to, you can log in as a guest)

• Once you're logged in, Click "Chat!" to launch the chat window.

• You'll see a list of users in the room in a list on the left side, under "The Molokai Bar." If my webcam is currently broadcasting, you'll see "Humuhumu" in the list; click my name, and you'll get my webcam video in the lower left corner. There's a "+" button you can click to enlarge the video window.

You can log in now if you'd like, but there won't be anything to see until I start broadcasting.

If any of you are also bringing webcams to Hukilau, feel free to stream them using my Userplane chat room -- that way, all the webcams can be found in one spot. If we can get multiple webcams going in one party, it'll be like a sitcom! We'll have to get pablus started on a theme song.

When I find myself in a position to start broadcasting video, I'll post here in this thread to let you know, and I'll also post it in Shout, too.

S

I hope the Clipper is cheaper/better for wifi than the the Bahia Mar. It was $150 a day at the Bahia Mar. And the network was wide open until event time. Cabana is internet free I think. In 2004 they left the network open at the Bahia Mar though. Hope it works out this time!

G

Just placed a call to both hotels because I will have my laptop with me also. Here's what we've got:

Yankee Clipper:
High speed Internet access in all rooms
Wireless in some buildings, wired in others
$9.95/day

Bahia Cabana:
High speed wireless Internet access in all rooms
FREE!!

Fortunately we're in the Bahia Cabana and I think some/most of the late-nite parties will be as well?

S

Cool! That's new. I don't think there is a thing on the Cabana's website about internet. That's great!

H

Last year when we were staying in the Bahia Cabana, we had free wireless. We may have just been picking up a signal from someone's apartment or something, though.

BUMP....

Let us know when the camera is on!!

• Myke

Was there simply not enough Saran wrap in Florida?? :(

T

Humuhumu wrote:

I'm planning on bringing a webcam to some of the
late-nite room parties at Hukilau, to stream vi-
deo of the parties to you fine folks at home ....

Did you or anyone capture the streams? Wondering if
there will be a place to download them.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 7:25 AM

Well... it just didn't work out for me. I had the laptop, but there was not a good place to set up. The usual penthouse party didn't happen, and that would have been ideal to run the cam. I never found a place to show my slides either...

H

I have terrible, terrible Hukilau camera luck -- two years ago, my camera broke on the first day, last year I lost my camera on the first day... this year, when Hanford's camera, cell phone, two-day-old suede shoes and one-day-old paper art wallet got ruined on the first day, it was clear I could not further tempt fate with my laptop. It turned out to be a moot decision anyhow, as all the afterparties I went to were about a hundred paces into the Atlantic ocean! I don't think there are any pictures, much less video, which is probably for the best since we were all in our underwear.

However, my personal Hukilau camera bad-luck streak appears to have finally ended, thank goodness. I do have many, many pictures to post, coming later today!

Pages: 1 9 replies