Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau Request (Past and Future)

Pages: 1 7 replies

In my typical mania (induced by lack of sleep, constant digital video editing, and cocktails served in ceramic containers) I put my head down on my pillow last night and way treated to a wonderful vision.

Let me explain, I've been working on the opening video for Hukilau 2006. (You may remember my Tribute to Martin Denny video that opened Hukilau 2005.) Well needless to say, up until last night there were a bunch of parts just sort of floating in my head. (Kinda like the ingredients to Charles Phoenix's legendary ambrosia!) Well, last night the pieces danced there way into something that I'm extremely excited about... but I can't give too much away.

I'm sure besides being a little confused you're asking, "Why am I reading this?","What does any of this rambling mean to me?", and "What does this whizz-bang video jockey want?". Well, this is the part where I humbly ask for your help. (and believe me I need it!) I would like to offer each and every one of you the opportunity to contribute to this year's opener! What I need are pictures of previous Hukilaus...yep, your pictures! Generally, files are kept to a minimum size and bit depth to post online and in most cases rasterize quite a bit when converting them into Avid, so I'd prefer original files. Also, I don't want all of the 1,000+ photos you took last year. (Sorry, but I don't have the time to go through 'em all.)

What I'd like is a photo or two (1 or 2) that best exemplifies your Hukilau experience from previous years. You can e-mail them directly to me at: [email protected] . Please indicate the year (if you have multiple years please indicate). Please realize that this is not an absolute guarantee that your picture will be used. (I'll apologize in advance for that.) Also, realize that a close ups of you and your boyfriend, girlfriend, spouse, etc. don't help nearly as much as photos that give details of the events or settings. Don't get me wrong I want pictures of people, I'd just like to see groups of people doing what they do at Hukilau. I'm looking to truly represent Hukilau's rich and important past so please keep that in mind when selecting your shots. Oh, and I'd be lying if I said that pictures that by nature show the more humorous side of our "tribe" and our gatherings won't get extra special attention. Finally, I need you to state in the e-mail body that you are the sole rights holder of the image and that you grant me (Nicholas L Satterfield) the rights to use your image for the sole purposes of this project, it's public viewing, and potential reproduction. I, in turn, guarantee you that all images will be used solely for this project and will not be used for any purposes other than this video project. Any and all unused images will be promptly deleted. (Unless, of course, they show King Kukulele in a "compromising situation"!)

If and when I'm overwhelmed I'll let you know. Obviously the sooner I get your images the better. If you have any concerns feel free to e-mail or PM me.

Mahalo! to everyone in advance.

otikiniko

Aloha again!
Just over 24 hours later and I'd like to report that the pictures arriving in a steady stream, but I still am in dire need of the "early years". Like I mentioned, I am trying to get the best quality images for this year's opener. I really want to outdo last year which is going to take considerable work. So please send 'em on over.

If you absolutely must, post a link to your photobucket, yahoo, etc. I'll give it a shot and compromise quality a little if it's going to make things easier for everyone.

Mahalo

S

I have a lot of pictures on the legacy Hukilau sites:

Hukilau 2002 with a direct link to pictures Unfortunately, these were all scanned long ago and the quality is awful. The original scans are lost to an old hard drive... Not sure where the hard copies are at this time.

Hukilau 2003 pics page Better images, but of course, still 72 dpi

Other resources for past events

On 2006-09-28 07:03, RevBambooBen wrote:

1000 words.

No, 10,000.

O

Mahalo everyone!

I never imagined I'd get such amazing stuff and such kind words. I'm sincerely flattered!

Since there are a few things I haven't received (Mr Smiley and the weird russian painting) I'll be doing a bit of salvaging and PMing for permissions. :wink: If you have stuff to send get it to me by Monday night so I can get the editing done for Friday night.

Once again, big time thanks to everyone who has sent stuff over, this one is gonna' be tops!

T

Hers one of my favs. 2003.

O

Mahalo Everyone!

The support has been great I'm pretty sure I'm gonna use everything. Well, I've transferred everything I received into video files. I never know how things will turn out until I see how all the parts work together.

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see what it looks like on Friday nite :o ... I can't wait!
I can only hope you enjoy watchin' it as much as I enjoy makin' it!

Pages: 1 7 replies