Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The Forbidden Island/Munktiki Bad Liver ON SALE OCTOBER 1st 3:00pm

Pages: 1 38 replies

M

Aloha!

It is with great pleasure that we announce the launch of the first collaboration between Munktiki (www.munktiki.com) and Forbidden Island available to the public:

We are proud to present the ultra-limited edition Munktiki/Forbidden Island collectible tiki mug known simply as…

THE BAD LIVER

The Limited Edition Forbidden Island Bad Liver Mug features:

-Unique design by Stuckie of a rotten liver (yum!), it’s sure to be a conversation piece for years to come.
-An elaborate multi-color glaze available nowhere else.
-Comes with certificate of authenticity, and recipe card featuring the award-winning Bad Liver Cocktail, created by Martin of Forbidden Island.
-Includes a coupon good for one Bad Liver Cocktail at Forbidden Island
-Less than 25 will be available!
-Only $60

The FI Bad Liver Mug goes on sale SUNDAY, OCTOBER 1st at 3:00pm.

The Fine Print: Because of overwhelming demand, this mug is strictly limited to one per person. CASH ONLY. Mugs will be sold on an in-person, first come, first served basis starting Sunday- no exceptions. Those interested should form a line along the front of Forbidden Island before 3pm. Those in line will be issued one voucher which can be exchanged for one mug. The voucher will be issued in numerical order with numbers corresponding to the number of the mug. Voucher will be good Sunday 10/1/06 only.

Enjoy, and see you at Forbidden Island!

-Martin
http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com

CL

Will you have the door locked until 3:00? :wink:

oh god, yes!

M

The Fine Print:

I've never been to Forbidden Aisle before, can I still get one? Is that Pacific Standard time, or Greenwich Mean? Is camping out permitted (still have my pup tent from "Lord of the Rings:, the Ring Gets Re-Sized" may the force be with you, Harry Potter). Can I get mine autographed by Sonya and Thayer? Can you make mine a Hawaii Kai Treasure, this Bad Liver thing sounds like cack. I got an email about this, does that mean I already have one reserved (I've saved the email)?

Is it tiki? The dingo took Andy.

Love for sale,
Commander midnite

T

I live in Michigan, I don't even know why I collect tiki mugs. They all seem to be selling to Californians as of lately

amen to that

RB

Would love to see a picture of this!

K

That's why its called collecting, TeaKey. It would not be as fun if everything was right at your fingertips. We eastcoasters have to work a little harder to find new ways to our treasures. Maybe we should form a team of super-tiki-collectors that work together to find peace and tiki mugs from around the world, or something like that.

RB

Humuhumu has a pic of the Bad Liver on her blog: http://blog.humuhumu.com/

TeaKey,

I'm with you mate. Why should we be punished for living east of the Rockies (or the Bullwinkles for that matter)? I travel to as many tiki events as I can but still can't make it to all these great places as often as I would like. Are these mugs being made to be status symbols for the elite or a way for some very un-tiki types to scam some serious e-bay bucks off of suckers like me?

Okay that's my two pukas worth.

Matt

p.s. It's still a cool mug but if you fire them we will buy them.

On 2006-09-27 08:46, rugbymatt wrote:
Are these mugs being made to be status symbols for the elite or a way for some very un-tiki types to scam some serious e-bay bucks off of suckers like me?

Yep. It's all a conspiracy.

If you read the piece on Humu's blog, you'll see that some will be available on ebay, which is pretty much par for the course for Munktiki. (Of course, they won't have the multi-color glaze and hence will probably be less bilarific.)

Granted, it is a drag to live somewhere so far from something you enjoy collecting, but it seems kind of petty to fault others who happen to be lucky enough to be in the thick of things. It's all a trade off. I'm sure you don't have as much smog, crime or earthquakes as us elite Californians. Lucky us. At least we've got the good mugs.

T

I guess its just been getting to me that there really isn't a tiki bar around here for me to go to. The mugs are one of the few thing that somebody like me can get here, a majority of the time.

Forbidden Island looks like the bar to be at. Its getting a lot of talk here and in the magazines. This limited liver mug comes with a coupon off a drink and I thought that it would have been cool to score one of these mugs and then travel to California one year to use my coupon.

Collecting mug with all the trouble is fun. I hunt all year long around here in thrift store only to get the run-of the-mill mugs that others can find or toss back in just a weekend. Event mugs, I have always asked in posts if any could pick me up one. I even PM some people that I knew were going and I don't even get a reply back on those types of things. Hell, just the event would be a joy to go to but that isn't going to happen. Its hard to get a "friend" to pick one up, cause I'm not getting any face time with people cause I don't live where the events are taking place. I really wanted the black Art 3 mug but I want to pay what the people at the event pay plus shipping and handling but not double on Ebay.

Even buying off the internet is a hunt cause you have to know when and where and be fast and not wait on it. I can do that and thats fun but I'm just not in the right state to be in the right "state" of mind when it comes to great mugs and tiki spirits.

THe funny thing is that Tiki bars where made so that people felt they were in Hawaii. Now we need then around here so we tiki lovers feel like we're in California.

I know that I'll have my day someday, i just wish it was sooner. I think that I got a plan to combat some of this but I just have to move on it. Maybe today will be the day.

Kate,

You sooo missed my point(if there was one?). I am not faulting those who live out in Cali since many of them are quite good friends and I ventured out there 4 times already this year. My beef (or chicken if you prefer) is with the organizers of these things. Apologies to Otto who does a great job and I am sure already has a plan to correct the mug deficiency problem from Tiki Oasis. All I am saying is give the rest of us a chance too. Hanford did it with the Tiki Mag mug and that worked out okay.

Anyway, nothin' but love. Hope to see you at Hukilau.

Matt

Martiki,

Please don't take offence. Thanks for the great t-shirt you gave me at Tiki Oasis.

T

Yeah, no one is blaming the lucky people, I'm just frustrated to not be the lucky people. Its what it is I guess.

There is one way but probably will never go anytime soon. It mostly has to do with the super low number runs. Most of the time, if the number is super low and the price is usually higher. THere could be a pre sale for the mug on the internet or a lottery. Or there could be a surplus of twenty mugs to be pre sold on the internet. Now if you win and you are going to the event, you pick up there. No line, no shipping costs and more time for the event. The ones not going, will just be shipped after the event. It would be cool to see done once.

I think that the organizers view these mugs as souvenirs (remember, that was what tiki mugs were created for in the first place!), and their first priority is making sure that people attending the event have a chance to have a special souvenir of their time at the event. I've seen plenty of cases where the mugs didn't sell out at the event, and were later offered to people who were not at the event. Keep in mind that the organizer's number one goal is to encourage event attendance, and to make the event a special experience for those who have come out for it, not to sell tiki mugs.

Now, with the Bad Liver mug, as Tiki-Kate noted, if you can't make it to Forbidden Island, you will still have many, many opportunities to buy one on eBay, it just won't have the magical, mystical, mystery multi-glaze. I don't see any problem with Stuckie & Martiki doing something special to encourage people to come out to Forbidden Island. Tiki bars don't stay open all by themselves, they need your patronage!

On 2006-09-27 09:20, rugbymatt wrote:
Hanford did it with the Tiki Mag mug and that worked out okay.

I think you mean Holden, not Hanford.

On 2006-09-27 09:20, rugbymatt wrote:
Kate,

My beef (or chicken if you prefer) is with the organizers of these things.

Now I know that you said that you don't want to offend Martin, but considering the recent demise of Sam's Seafood, The Royal Hawaiian, The Voodoo Lounge and The Lucky Tiki, are you honestly begrudging a business owner his method for creating some foot traffic at his establishment?

Kate,

You are still missing my point....

I am not begrudging anyone anything at all!

I simply am stating like TeaKey that when you live so far away and have limited access to these cool places we don't very often get to be "foot traffic". This isn't for a lack of desire or trying and back east we do travel fairly good distance to patronize the few places that do exist. All we want is a chance to grab a little bit of that magic (aka a mug). If they want to make an extra special version for on premise or event sale then that's cool too. I also recognize that with the really big events (Tiki Oasis, Hukilau, etc.) then maybe you do have to limit stuff to attendees but just make sure every attendee can score one if they want.

Martin is a good oak and I can't wait to get up to NoCal again soon to stop by FI.

Ookoo,

Thanks, my bad. Holden, bygones (please don't spit in my next mug)!

Matt

On 2006-09-27 10:23, rugbymatt wrote:
Kate,

You are still missing my point....

I am not begrudging anyone anything at all!

I simply am stating like TeaKey that when you live so far away and have limited access to these cool places we don't very often get to be "foot traffic". This isn't for a lack of desire or trying and back east we do travel fairly good distance to patronize the few places that do exist. All we want is a chance to grab a little bit of that magic (aka a mug). If they want to make an extra special version for on premise or event sale then that's cool too.

As not to miss your point again, what financially prudent suggestion would you offer Martin that would make you happy?

Kate,

It is not about making me happy perse but about letting those of us on the other coast share in the tiki-life that is so much more abundant out there (remember I got into this thread by giving a shout of support to TeaKey). In my previous e-mail I suggested offering a slightly different version of the mug for sale via internet. They could also have done a limited time on-line sale similar to what Holden did with the Tiki Mag mugs. Again these options put the business at little or no risk but allow them to get a good read of how far and wide their "fan Base" may be. It also doesn't leave some of us at the mercy of the ebay pirates.

I will conclude with the immortal words of Forrest Gump "That's all I have to say about that"

I

Sooo ..... which one of you Californians did the modeling for this mug? Did Stuckie attend a recent Tiki Bar tour, wait for the first person to pass out, and then take a series of secret X-rays of that person before they awoke? Was it done on one of Pablus's journeys out west?

I think you should invite Matt "The Tube" Crowley to be at Forbidden Island on October 1 .... some real interesting things could happen.

I just did a google image search of 'cirrhosis' ..... yuck.

Vern

On 2006-09-27 12:51, rugbymatt wrote:

It is not about making me happy perse but about letting those of us on the other coast share in the tiki-life that is so much more abundant out there (remember I got into this thread by giving a shout of support to TeaKey). In my previous e-mail I suggested offering a slightly different version of the mug for sale via internet. They could also have done a limited time on-line sale similar to what Holden did with the Tiki Mag mugs. Again these options put the business at little or no risk but allow them to get a good read of how far and wide their "fan Base" may be. It also doesn't leave some of us at the mercy of the ebay pirates.

I will conclude with the immortal words of Forrest Gump "That's all I have to say about that"

Fair enough, Matt. Sorry to rag so much. It seemed like a good and lively debate at the time. Don't know why, but this topic really got my goat. Maybe it's because I live out in the middle of Freakin' Nowhere California and have to drive for hours to get anywhere cool. Makes a person kinda cranky. :)

T

the middle of Freakin' Nowhere California still sounds like a great place to live. Maybe even better than Freakin somewhere California.

-This tiki lover with no where to drown his sorrows with a drink

J

On 2006-09-26 13:42, martiki wrote:
The FI Bad Liver Mug goes on sale SUNDAY, OCTOBER 1st at 3:00pm.

The Fine Print: Because of overwhelming demand, this mug is strictly limited to one per person. CASH ONLY. Mugs will be sold on an in-person, first come, first served basis starting Sunday- no exceptions. Those interested should form a line along the front of Forbidden Island before 3pm. Those in line will be issued one voucher which can be exchanged for one mug. The voucher will be issued in numerical order with numbers corresponding to the number of the mug. Voucher will be good Sunday 10/1/06 only.

Hey Martiki,
Can I sleep on one of the futons Saturday night? They're gonna be fumigating my apartment building and we all need to find a place to stay. :wink:

Though the mug is somewhat grotesquely "cute", I won't be driving down to stand in line. That leaves a mug for someone else!! We have our set of 4 FI Tiki Diablo mugs, and I am a happy camper!

Take pictures!

• Myke
M

wow. OK. Where to begin...?

From the top!

Coco Loco: Yes, the door will be locked until 3pm. Possibly with armed guards.

Midnite: nevermind.

There is most certainly not a conspiracy to deprive people outside of California of tiki mugs, at least not on my part. As Kate said, it is about foot traffic, having fun, and celebrating Munktiki, in no particular order. I'm very fortunate to have developed a great relationship with Stuckie & Paul, and I am deeply, deeply grateful to Munktiki for all they've done for FI. (Not to mention the Farm! Good to have all the big guys on your side!)

Simple fact is that I've been having a lot of fun working on this with Stuckie, creating the drink (3rd place winner at the Rye Bar Mixology competition two months ago! Almost cool!), and creating something special that could be enjoyed by our patrons, since you'll have to pry the fugus from my cold dead hands.

Here's the thing: this is the first time we've done something like this. For reasons of uncertainty, $$$, and mug mold quality issues, the run is very small. Think of it as more of a trial. Obviously, I wish there were more, given the incredible interest this has generated. (We just got BoingBoinged about this- thanks a lot, Humu :wink:) BUT...I'd say there's about a 100% chance that Munktiki and FI will team up again on something like this, and it will be a larger run. But as Humu said, chances are that they will only ever be available at FI, since I do believe in getting mugs as a souvenir of your visit to a place or event. That's why I don't sell FI's regular mug online (neither does Purple Orchid, for example)- you should visit and drink out of it. I never got a Hale Tiki mug, because I never made it in time.

Try for the eBay one- they look great in the green glaze, too.

Hey rugmymatt, no offense taken, but I'm pretty sure you got the tshirt from Michael, not me, since I wasn't at TO this year.

See you all soon!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2006 7:30 PM

Ahaha, it's funny reading the hard-luck stories in this thread. Try living in New Zealand and trying to collect this stuff! It simply doesn't exist. I've just won a free mug thanks to the kindness of Tiki Matt, but it'll still cost me in excess of $25 NZ just to get it sent. The Crazy Al mugs I ordered cost me about 80 bucks each!
I've got to say there are some really awesome people here who have helped me out with few items I wouldn't otherwise be able to get and with offers to trade for my own tiki art, and I am very grateful for that.

On 2006-09-27 12:51, rugbymatt wrote:
It also doesn't leave some of us at the mercy of the ebay pirates.

A note about those "ebay pirates", unless they're setting a crazy Buy It Now price it's your competitors, ie, other TCers usually driving the prices up!
Believe me, I deal with it ALL THE TIME! :o

If you search a lot I've bought plenty of mugs, art, masks, jewelry, even A CAR, (The Tiki Cruiser), on ebay for signifigantly less!

M

I think there is a big difference between someone who makes a living going out and finding some tiki stuff and passing it on at a reasonable mark up or to trade, and someone who goes and buys exclusive/limited items just to sell. I personally have no problems with someone making a living selling tiki stuff, I actually appreciate the fact that they spend lots of their time locating cool stuff. I do have an issue with non-tiki yahoos that go to the thrift store and find a tiki Bob for a buck and sell it on ebay for a hundred.

Dr. TikiMojo, I saw your stand at FI and talked to you enough to recognize your not an Ebay Pirate (are they the new Ebay Monkeys?). Just because your a seller, doesn't make you a pirate, that term should be reserved for those who have no affiliation with tiki and are just out pillaging.

It would be really cool if these sculptors like Muntiki and all the other artists would have some autographed mugs or other art available for some kind of raffle or contest, maybe sponsored by TikiCentral (hint hint nudge nudge).

Everyone throw in $10 to the raffle per entry, give away 5 mugs and or art pieces to random winners and donate the proceeds to some worthy charity or put it towards hiring talent/speakers for the next Hukilau.

Lots of other clubs or groups do these raffles. It's be a great way to build community and spread the wealth.

On 2006-09-28 18:12, minitor wrote:
I think there is a big difference between someone who makes a living going out and finding some tiki stuff and passing it on at a reasonable mark up or to trade, and someone who goes and buys exclusive/limited items just to sell. I personally have no problems with someone making a living selling tiki stuff, I actually appreciate the fact that they spend lots of their time locating cool stuff. I do have an issue with non-tiki yahoos that go to the thrift store and find a tiki Bob for a buck and sell it on ebay for a hundred.

Dr. TikiMojo, I saw your stand at FI and talked to you enough to recognize your not an Ebay Pirate (are they the new Ebay Monkeys?). Just because your a seller, doesn't make you a pirate, that term should be reserved for those who have no affiliation with tiki and are just out pillaging.

Hey I recently bought some vintage Star Wars stuff at a garage sale and sold it on ebay for like 200% markup, does this make me a non-star wars yahoo or a shrewd shopper?

M

if your into the subject matter, whether its tiki or star wars or whatever, and can find a deal then your a shrewd buyer. If you can make a profit more power to you. If you have no idea what something is, but think you can make a quick buck on ebay, then your a yahoo.

P

I drove by Forbbiden Island today about 9.30 there was a line already!!!

I said hello to some regular patrons.. then went on my way..

I already have my own bad liver in a one of a kind multi color glazed of it's own color.

I don't need a mug to remind me. haha

here's #12

Don't feel bad, out of towners.

I don't even have a FI mug!

Martin,

How does a nobody like me get one? ( FI mug. not bad liver. )

Chilled with some great folks in line at Forbidden Island today. We thought we were crazy for showing up at 6:45 am, but we were quickly joined by other nutbags- nachotiki and the wonderful Thayer and Scott. After many poker games and listening to exotica on the portable turntable we all solidified a common feeling of aloha.
We were surprised that the line didn't flesh out until around 2. Everyone got their disgustingly beautiful mug and promptly ordered too many drinks afterward. The best way to spend a Sunday. Hope to see everyone else at the next one. Thanks to Martiki and staff!Pictures to follow...

Pages: 1 38 replies