Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Any recent repairs to the Mai Kai for Hukilau?

Pages: 1 9 replies

For those of you who live within rum-spitting distance of the Mai Kai (Tiki Kiliki, Chip/Andy, I Dream, you know who you are), how's it looking now? Any repairs to the hurricane-damaged roof? I'm referring to the exterior as I know the interior looks as good as ever. I was hoping they'd be able to pretty up the roof by Hukilau, but last time I was there (June I think?), it was still looking a bit rough. Not that it matters really, as all the fun happens inside, but it does make for prettier pictures.

For those who are going to the Mai Kai for the first time, don't let the outside appearance of this 50-year-old building deceive you. Just step inside to paradise...

K

I do not think there have been any updating of the exterior, I know the blue tarp was gone. I was there not too long ago. Its way better on the inside anyways. The outside garden area is in good shape.

Yes......and no........

Most of the actuall work had been of a kind and place you don't really see it. The Valet cover is still looking ragged, but the main roof line is looking good. The thatching is coming down (finally! Yeah!) and getting closer to the original design so that will help the inside gardens green up. The carport cover still looks bad, but the entrance in general is looking great.

I'd have to agree that initially the impression upon seeing the valet roof is that there hasn't been a lot of repair, but once you get inside it's more apparent. Looking out of the windows in the Molokai it's starting to come back to life. The gardens took quite a whoopin' but even they are bounding back to life.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the rest of South Florida. It's a shame, we lost so many trees especially out in west Broward (where I reside). I will say that Chip & Andy's place looks pretty spectacular tho!

Aloha... for now

[ Edited by: otikiniko 2006-09-28 18:28 ]

G

What about that little hut that was destroyed? I know there were plans for them to rebuild it.

On 2006-09-29 05:33, GatorRob wrote:
What about that little hut that was destroyed? I know there were plans for them to rebuild it.

That little hut that was destroyed was covering the pumps and connections for all of the waterfalls. It has been decorated so as to not be ugly, but it has not been rebuilt. Since it was simply an elaborate cover for some ugly equipment it has been moved way down the punch-list of things to do. Basically, unless you know what you are looking for, you would never have know it was there.

I'm glad to see this topic as alot of you will be shocked when you see the state of the exterior of the Mai Kai. It's pretty beaten up and unfortunately, the Mai Kai has fallen victim, just as over half of South Florida has, with insurance companies going belly up after hurricane Wilma. It will take time and lots of cashflow to restore it to the original glory but it won't happen before Hukilau. I was just speaking to Jeff Berry about this the other night - I wanted to prepare him for it.

It's still one of the most magical spots you can find and once you're inside, it doesn't matter anyway. The gardens are lush and amazing. The important factor is that the Mai Kai is still here - no matter what it looks like, we all have a chance to celebrate together and be thankful that it hasn't fallen to the hands of a wrecking ball.

I can't wait to see everyones smiling faces and see the Mai Kai alive with the TC ohana and those that have made they're journey from around the world. The photo exhibit will leave you weak and appreciating this mid-century icon even more than you did before. You're not even going to believe the extent of material - a huge MAHALO to the Mai Kai family for allowing me this honor to bring the show to all of you!

G

Thanks Kiliki. And a BIG mahalo to you for bringing the show to us!

The only thing that concerns me about the exterior repairs taking so long to be completed is the number of tourists who may pass it up based on the outside appearance. I hope that is not putting the Mai Kai in a financial pinch. I don't know what the Mai Kai's financial situation is, but of course we all hope it remains strong for years to come. If they ever do attempt to put a wrecking ball to that place, I know there will be plenty of us chaining ourselves to the place chanting "hell no, we won't go!" I think it would be over a few of our dead bodies that another Walgreens takes the place of a great tiki palace.

This just means we'll have to set up a "Buy More Drinks to have the Exterior Restored" fund. I throw down a couple extra for the cause....

~T

...three more days... ...three more days... ...three more days...

Count my group in for extra drinks in order to support the repair fund. It'd be our pleasure.

Swamp

[ Edited by: Swamp Tiki 2006-10-02 11:37 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies