Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Martin Denny & Julie London

Pages: 1 15 replies

M

Just a little nostalgia. About 4 minutes into it.
http://www.philxmilstein.com/probe/tracks/LibertyPromoPt1.mp3

Shoot, man, I can't open it....what it is?

(Soon as I saw Martin Denny and Julie London in the same thread, my interest was captured!!)

T
twitch posted on Sun, Oct 1, 2006 6:08 PM

It's a quicktime file... David Seville (of 'The Chipmunks' infamy) & Julie London host a short overview of Liberty Records' repertoire!
Nice! Julie breathily (sorta... or it's just my excited imagination) extolling her love of Quiet Village and Primitiva...

P

On 2006-10-01 18:08, twitch wrote:
It's a quicktime file...

Actually, it's not a Quicktime file at all. It's an MP3 file which is not exclusive to Apple's Quicktime and is a cross platform format. Pretty much anything can play them...Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, Quicktime, etc, etc. It just depends on how your computer is configured to play MP3s by default. If you've got a Mac...then your computer is probably already default-configured to use Quicktime. If you've got a Windows PC...it's probably configured to use Windows Media Player. But anyone can change which player they want to play these file types with.

Also...if your web browser doesn't have the plug-in that's needed...that could effect the ability to play by just clicking on the link. If you've got a Windows machine, I might suggest right-clicking on the link and then selecting "Save Target As." You can then download the entire file to your computer, and once it's done downloading, just try double-clicking on the file icon to see if it plays on it's own (bypassing the web browser entirely).

I don't really know why you can't play the file, as virtually any computer out there should have something on it that plays MP3s! And browser plug-ins should be in place already also.

I suppose it could also be that there were network problems at the time you tried. Or if you have a slow internet connection or if your player is configured in such a way...that the file is unplayable until the entire (in this case huge) file is downloaded completely first.

I'd just suggest you try it again and wait a bit to see if it eventually starts on it's own and/or then hit Play. Especially if you have a slow internet connection. If you've got some sort of internet activity meter that shows you something is downloading...you should be on your way eventually.

R
rupe33 posted on Mon, Oct 2, 2006 4:33 AM

This was a great find - am really enjoying it... Julie London & David Seville... hilarious talking about "the shareholders."

Mahalo!
~Rupe

TM

My computer is a bit "funny".

Anyway, Julie London! What a total babe!

I had her album cover in my hot little hands when I was a kid, and I just stared and stared and stared!!

Musically speaking, I like the fact that she delivered stuff without all the histrionics and scat singing that some other jazz singers did. She was more like Sinatra in that respect. With impeccable style, swing, timing and image, what a fabulous artist!

To do an album just as a trio,(no drums) is just amazing. Her, Barney Kessel and Ray Leatherwood just tore it up on that album!

BM

weird--my folks had a Peggy Lee album (Fever I think) and thats EXACTLY what I would do with that when I was about 7--just GLAZE over looking at her--still got a fixation for her PLUS she was a pretty damn impressive artist--sultry [ahhh]

TM

I agree too !!!

Dean

On 2006-10-02 13:17, bb moondog wrote:
weird--my folks had a Peggy Lee album (Fever I think) and thats EXACTLY what I would do with that when I was about 7--just GLAZE over looking at her--still got a fixation for her PLUS she was a pretty damn impressive artist--sultry [ahhh]

BM

DUDE--not THAT record--not that theres ANYTHING WRONG with THAT RECORD..... or ANYTHING that.....--oh $#@!#$U...... never mind

T

On 2006-10-02 17:41, Blue Thunder wrote:

I found this one at a thrift shop a few months ago and had to have it. I'd never heard of Julie London before (I know, I know, but my parents weren't into it when I was a kid), but after seeing the cover, just had to get the record. In great shape, too. I paid a whopping 25 cents. And it sounds great! I'm a Julie London fan now!

UB

Funny, I just knew Julie London as the hot nurse on the TV show "Emergency".
Great voice (and yes, very seductive)

Julie London - Bye Bye Blackbird

TM

Lucas posted that record cover of the record that I JUST picked up about a month ago. I think she was pretty young here... Mid 1950s, I think... Doesn't sound like her 'typical' breathy style.

TM

On 2010-11-07 17:39, Luckydesigns wrote:
Lucas posted that record cover of the record that I JUST picked up about a month ago. I think she was pretty young here... Mid 1950s, I think... Doesn't sound like her 'typical' breathy style.

I don't know, but I totally want to make out with her.

Pages: 1 15 replies