Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

I'm a Haole Kat!!!

Pages: 1 14 replies

P
pablus posted on Mon, Oct 2, 2006 7:02 AM

I've been assimilated...for Hukilau purposes.

Saturday - late night at the Mai Kai - I will be joining Haole Kats! on stage to take that Hukilau vibe into Sunday with vigor.

We practiced yesterday and it's sounding like a heck of a combination. Except for my part.

For real, though - if you like wild Hapa Haole originals (yes PrimoKimo, including Kahiki Moon) and fun old Hapa Haole dittys and raucous surf. You need to hang out for this set. Last year's Waitiki set was the highlight of the whole weekend for me and we'll do our absolute best to keep their grand legacy from deteriorating into a chaotic cacophony.

This is the one of the coolest gigs that musicians in our genre could hope for - 50th anniversary - Mai Kai - attentive, enthusiastic and good looking audience with pockets filled with tip money... ahem...

I'm honored to be included in this evening.

However, no sock monkeys will be tolerated.

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-10-02 07:04 ]

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Oct 2, 2006 7:25 AM

There are whole lot of us who will get all misty eyed when you guys do "Hukilau Huricane" there.. hint hint...

very much looking forward to your performance...

Don't let the Big guy fool ya... he sounds great and the songs are killer !!!
It's our pleasure to work with him (not the other way around) and besides that he's a Buckeye !!!
Maybe,just maybe, we can talk him into doing a few tunes with us on the Thursday Night gig at the Cabana... Hmmmm..Was that suttle enough ????
Yea,I think it was...

Joe/Haole Kats

hmmm, be sure to include Hurricane Vic in the lyrics of Hukilau Hurricane, and thank you. Takes a bow.

K

This is going to be such a freakin' blast.

Oh yeah, I second the motion for Pablus to join us on a couple of tunes Thursday night :o Yikes! that's tomorrow! at the Bahia.

Personally, the "full band" treatments of Hukilau Hurrican and Kahiki Moon are soooo good, that it would be a shame to just play them once.... hint, hint...

T

P
pablus posted on Wed, Oct 4, 2006 7:47 AM

I'll be too busy hurling insults at the band, trading punches with Flounder and trying to keep Swanky from head-butting people after his 9th Concubine.

Tell you the truth, Kats, I'd love to set up on the beach at some point with all acoustic stuff and let fly.
There are some great shade coco palms just across from the Cabana.

(bring an extra set of concert strings willya?)

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Oct 4, 2006 8:13 AM

On 2006-10-04 07:47, pablus wrote:

I'll be too busy hurling insults at the band, trading punches with Flounder and trying to keep Swanky from head-butting people after his 9th Concubine.

Tell you the truth, Kats, I'd love to set up on the beach at some point with all acoustic stuff and let fly.

The Clipper has a new deck area on the beach side where the carving will take place on Friday at 3PM. That might be a good place and time to set up and do your thing. Crazy Al, Benzart, BK, etc. Find that spot and see if it will work out. You might even get some electricity out there...

And after my 5th Concubine I generally only head butt the pillow...

HK

On 2006-10-04 07:47, pablus wrote:

We may be able to work something out on the deck, like Swanky mentioned. Unfortunately, we won't have acoustic bass or steel, so anyplace we're gonna jam will have to have power for our 2 little amps...damn new-fangled electrified insrtruments!

J

I'm so jealous. Have a fantastic time, and Pablus is a treat not to be missed.

Hopefully we'll be there next year.

P
pablus posted on Wed, Oct 4, 2006 3:57 PM

...how about 3 ukes and some coconuts?

We'll miss you Kon Hemsby. Wish you and Wahinina could make it.

F

I'm going to milk you guys of any uke knowledge you may possess! I'm bringing mine down, but I only know like 4 songs. I'll be staring at your fingers the whole time. :wink:

I can not even explain how stoked I am about this whole trip!!! I can't wait to see you all play again. See you tomorrow! :drink:

HK

On 2006-10-04 15:57, pablus wrote:

...how about 3 ukes and some coconuts?

You know, with my fair skin, it's probably better that I leave my coconuts covered up...I will definitely have a uke, though.

Anybody hoping to learn a little about uke, don't hesitate to ask. I only know a little, but I really enjoy helping others learn.

J

We may be able to work something out on the deck, like Swanky mentioned. Unfortunately, we won't have acoustic bass or steel, so anyplace we're gonna jam will have to have power for our 2 little amps

Ahhh, but I'll have my acoustic bass, and you're more than welcome to use that.......

P
pablus posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 5:50 AM

"He who caresses the sacred stringed low-psaltry shall the same be required a sacrifice of seven watermelons each day." - Book of Okonkulu

Josh, I'd just politely refuse.
Watermelon season is almost over here in the states.
Why do you think Waitiki went to Mexico last year? Yep. They HAD to. I've got pictures from virani that show them loading up thousands of melons into several large semis. Poor guys. They had no idea what they were getting into.

....or did they...

SEEYA. Laptop stays at home. And the shoes. And the car.
PILIKIA!!!

Pages: 1 14 replies