Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Last Tiki Gathering 2002 Pictures!

Pages: 1 16 replies

Thanks to Cary(C.B.) & Mary-Margaret(FuturaGirl) for their hospitality at their Pajama Party on Saturday night!

BigBroTiki(Sven), Floratina(Tina), VintageGirl(Marsha) & AtomicCocktail(Charles)

The boys enjoying a cocktail or two (or three or four…)

Always lovely women to be found at the gatherings.

Relaxing and reminiscing…

…and a little dancing!

ChikiTiki joining in on the bongo/conga jam!

Thanks too to Sven for the gathering at his bachelor pad, complete with vintage lighting, tikis, artwork, a great scenic view and the "GLUEHWEIN"!

Sven having fun making his 'glow wine'.

Pssst….hey guys….who's the blonde in the leopard pants? Is there any more of Sven's wine left?

Sven's ever-growing Tiki altar.

SugarCaddyDaddy's solemn moment at the altar.

PolyesianPop, Laney & SugarCaddyDaddy

"I don't remember that being in there before…"

This Daddy's Caddy & The Tiki Transporter

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2002-12-30 11:21 ]

Who is that good-looking guy in the leopard pants? Wow, what a hottie!

Sweet fancy moses, Sven, buy yourself some more goddamned shelves before someone gets hurt!

Thanks for the great time at your homes Futura, CB and BigBro, I think I need some sleep after all that.We had a great time.I hope you all have a fun and safe new year!

P

Thanks and many mahalos to Sven for opening up his wonderful tiki palace to us for the evening. The place is truly an inspiration! And, of course, the Gluewein had us all a-glow with tiki holiday spirit (it was afterall the 5th day of Christmas).

M

I wish I had been there, but even more: I wish I'd never seen that picture of Adrian.

-martin

Adrian, did you change your hairstyle or something? You look a little different.

T

Wow, those pics are soooo ZAZZ! Looks like it was a real good time. :D

Thanks for sharing!

HH

meeeowww!

Hey {i]popi[/i] your looking mighty fine these days, when are you coming back to vegas? GRRRRR...

L
laney posted on Tue, Dec 31, 2002 7:22 PM

Oh man, The hideousness of that picture will haunt my dreams forever!
Really, thanks, Sven, for opening your house to all. I'm envious of your fantastic lighing (especially that view) and it was amazing to see actual items from The Book of Tiki. But everytime I see a couch on a curb, I'll think of you because you could use another if you plan on having any more shindigs.
It was great, also, to meet more T.C. people.
Thanks to all, Laney
P.S. I'm glad that old guy didn't choke and croak!

Sven, buy yourself some more goddamned shelves

But everytime I see a couch on a curb, I'll think of you because you could use another if you plan on having any more shindigs.

Hmmm...I think I will have some more shindigs, but I WON'T INVITE ANY GURLZ ! , 'cause they don't like my Tiki displays, or my couch!

Ha ha, no offense taken.
Tikifish, there are shelves, you just don't see them (not everyone displays their collection on white kitchen shelves). Allow me to quote from my intro to James T.'s Tiki Road Trip:

"Today’s inability to appreciate the quality of patina, the wear and tear that tells that there is a history to a place, has resulted in bland and generic environments without individual character.
In contrast, one of the basic concepts of the Tiki Bar is clutter, a dense jungle comprised of different artifacts and materials from exotic cultures, the jetsam and flotsam of the Seven Seas. Just like in the early museums that inspired the Surrealists, collections of objects are not didactically organized but thrown together to form a layered environment that creates a sense of mystery.
A good Tiki bar is like a good movie: You have to revisit to get the sense that you have seen it all."

And Laney, you are right, that couch is borderline, but that's exactly the kind of esthetic I like: bad taste.
Actually, my REAL couch was so worn out that it needed re-upholstery, but when I found this 8 foot/like new beaute in a Palm Springs thrift store for 170.- bucks, I put the ol' clunker in the garage for later and went COLORFUL! FLOWERY!-Yeah!
I really like that 70s Palm Springs retiree look. With IKEA and "good taste" taking over America, it soon will become extinct.

L
laney posted on Wed, Jan 1, 2003 10:23 PM

Sven, I wasn't saying anything about your couch, just that you need ANOTHER (Or some chairs, or a bench, or some tiki stools.) Just more seating of any kind besides the floor. You have more room than furniture, I have the opposite problem. Next "gratis" couch I find is yours!

Oh, ha ha, you were referring to seating availability, now I get it....yeah, usually partiers at my pad divide the main roosts between the front porch (where there is lots of seating) and the kitchen, but it's too nippy for the porch this time of the year. And I like the spaciousness of the living room, it needs it cause the ceilings are so low. So if it is not a Witco couch, I have to politely decline your offer (not that you actually would lug a couch from way down south up to my mountain, but just to be sure).

I far prefer the intricate and creative "layered environment" to sterile compartmentalized organization any day. It adds character to a home. I also like open spaces in houses especially since I've always lived in cramped quarters myself. Maybe a couple of cool vintage folding chairs might be handy to keep in the closet, but don't ruin that beautiful open space with anything permanent! Of course, who are we to tell a man what to do with his house. :)

The couch in Sven's Living Room was very comfortable as you can see from the folliwing display...

To see almost 100 pictures of THE infamous weekend of December 28-29 (including those seen here and much much more... such as Sven and the Monkeys seen below) simply go to:
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b333e72b05fa

Thank you thank you thank you - to everyone who came out in the rain and made it such a memorable night for all.

ARGH. I knew I should've just thrown some pjs in the car and hit the road. Looks like y'all had the two best parties I've ever missed!!! I'm not surprised to notice Vintage Girl is wearing my dream pajamas :).

I really hope I get to see the Futura House and Sven's Bachelor Pad some day soon.

Ahhhh...I must admit I too like a "layered environment that creates a sense of mystery." The finest euphemism for "clutter" I have ever heard! I'm going to use that one next time someone makes remarks about the state of my home.

But Sven...what's with that shirt I'm catching glimpses of? It doesn't yell nearly loudly enough! That's not the "70s Palm Springs retiree look"! Your couch definitely is, though. Wow.

Futura Girl, I hope to see you all soon! Maybe at Sam's Seafood? I need to get out more.

In the meantime...consider a trip to SF on the weekend of March 8th for our Tiki Crawl--we'd love to host you!

I just wanted to say that the PJ Party was a hoot. I had a blast!!!! Sabu and I are so glad we came. My friend in the Monkey PJ's (Shawnie a.k.a. Mystery Girl) wants to tell everyone she can't wait till I drag her to another event.

Pages: 1 16 replies