Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The Sweet and Sour Saga of the Mai Tai

Pages: 1 6 replies

Not sure if posted yet, but enjoyed this article on the history of the mai tai while island hopping on Aloha Airlines. They serve one mean mai
tai at La Mariana, not so much at Don The Beachcombers in Kona.

http://www.spiritofaloha.com/features/0906/maitai.html

Aloha,
Scott

M

Excellent article, and very interesting. I'm, for some reason, always suspicious of Arnold and Phoebe- if they were so concerned with historical accuracy, why is their book so sloppy and riddled with mistakes.

But I'll say this- Perhaps you noticed in the article which bartender that Trader Vic's CEO Hand Richter entrusted to make the perfect Mai Tai for the author. If you'd like the perfect Mai Tai, made by the same bartender, all you have to do is come see Jim at Forbidden Island.

"why is their book so sloppy and riddled with mistakes."

Some people just aren't good at writing books, it is not as easy as people might assume. Plenty of books are riddled with mistakes; there are a few in Doctor Cocktails book so I see. So no-one is immune, not even the best.

M

On 2006-10-04 10:29, thinkingbartender wrote:
"why is their book so sloppy and riddled with mistakes."

Some people just aren't good at writing books, it is not as easy as people might assume. Plenty of books are riddled with mistakes; there are a few in Doctor Cocktails book so I see. So no-one is immune, not even the best.

Well, there's no excuse for "shake at medium speed".

On 2006-10-03 18:54, senioraqua wrote:

http://www.spiritofaloha.com/features/0906/maitai.html

I couldn't get to the link, the webpage flipped to a generic front page.

I was actually looking to post about some info I found and I kinda like the title of this thread for it, so excuse me, senioraqua, as I usurp your thread.

In my travels, I came across a 1982 publication for the American Bartenders School, their Drink and Spirits Guide, by Jack Tiano. At the cost of one dollar, it was worth purchasing for laughs. Until I was stopped dead by the entry for The Mai Tai. It's all in black (well, pencil grey) and white. Read it and weep, kids:

Gaaahhh!!!! My eyes!

You gotta put some kind of warning on this post, someone's gonna hurt themselves!

Poor Mai Tai, you take such abuse at the hands of 'professionals.'

I still love you.

No matter what they do to you, I still love you.

G

Seems all self-important-like to quote myself but...

On 2008-01-29 06:59, GatorRob wrote:
Are they going to tell us once again to put everything in a blender and shake? :)

I'm still baffled at "shake at medium speed".

Pages: 1 6 replies