Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What a Tiki Year was 2002!

Pages: 1 18 replies

On this next to the last day of 2002, I can't help but look back at the Tiki Central events I went to and smile.

On July 12, I knew no one except Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al (even though I didn't know him from TC). Now I am friends with a large number of like minded tiki lovers/freaks.

For me, the string of events started with the OC Mini Crawl, then a San Diego tiki trek hosted by Al and Shelly, then Bamboo Ben's Gathering of the Tribe, next up was the Big Ol Tiki Bash, followed by Baxdogs Wild-Ass Party, then the Oceanic Arts/Bahooka/Aloha Joes blow-out with TraderPup, Al, Trustar, then the Kona Lanes Tiki Bowl, another San Diego Tiki Trek with PolyPop, Al & Shelly and Doctor Z, and finally, the Mele Kalikimaka harbor cruise hosted by Uncle Arty.

I know other TC's hit even more gigs!

I can't wait for 2003 - International Tiki Day!

T

Last time I saw all you kids was at the TC San Fran Tour (I guess that was the first time too) in February. How many of you that I met there will make it to the Hukilau? And how many of you will do Palm Springs? Of course either venture is a huge trip and expense for me so I gotta be sure Im doing the right thing. Right now Im leaning towards the Hukilau cause I never seen the Mai Kai but then again, if Mig and Hanford ain't there, is it really a party?

Tikifish says:

"Right now Im leaning towards the Hukilau cause I've never seen the Mai Kai but then again, if Mig and Hanford ain't there, is it really a party?"

Dear Tikifish, somehow I think we'll muddle through!!! I certainly hope to be there, and I'd love to meet you! Plus, I've never seen the Mai Kai either, but from what I hear, if you had to choose between that and the Tropics in Palm Springs...well...

I say, let's party at the Mai Kai now lest we forever regret missing it... as I regret missing the Kahiki (sob).

Of course, I may well bankrupt myself going to both, but hey. You only live once. Probably. If you remember to respect the tiki, that is 8>)

K

I definitely think 2002 will mark itself in tiki history as the first year of Hukilau. I can't really convey how dumbfoundingly successful it was, despite my neanderthal interview on the Retro Cocktail Hour and the the last minute a-bomb courtesy atlanta trader vics. I'm ardently going to schedule so that I can be at Hukilau 2003... I hope everyone here will as well. It's a mind-boggling legacy to uphold, but with the passion of founding organizers Christie White and Tim Glazner combined with Geoff Sundstrom, I'm certain Hukilau 2003 will enter the polynesian stratosphere.

Bong, I echo your sentiment. 2002 was indeed a great year for tiki. I must say, the folks I've met from Tiki Central are certainly a great bunch - no internet weirdo's here! I very much look forward to 2003. I only hope I have enough $$$ to keep attending these events since I seem to go on spontaneous tiki shopping sprees at each one.

Happy New Year to all TC'ers. Here's hoping I get to share a Mai Tai with even more of you in 2003!

S

Plain and simple, if there were no Tiki Central, there would not be a Hukilau. We missed the Kahiki closing because it fell on my daughters B-day. Now I wish I'd just taken her with us. Oh well.

The bottom line is, Tiki Central has enabled an awful lot of the things we do, and especailly, Tiki Central has made it possible for them to be bigger and better.

Big thanks to Hanford.

I second the BIG THANKS TO HANFORD!!!!

My new year's toast is to Hanford as well! Although we haven't met, I hope I can squeak a visit to SF for the crawl and have the chance to buy him a drink.

M

Tikifish says:

"Right now Im leaning towards the Hukilau cause I've never seen the Mai
Kai but then again, if Mig and Hanford ain't there, is it really a
party?"
TIKIVIXEN SEZ:
Dear Tikifish, somehow I think we'll muddle through!!! I certainly hope
to be there, and I'd love to meet you! Plus, I've never seen the Mai
Kai either, but from what I hear, if you had to choose between that and
the Tropics in Palm Springs...well...

I say, let's party at the Mai Kai now lest we forever regret missing
it... as I regret missing the Kahiki (sob).

Of course, I may well bankrupt myself going to both, but hey. You only
live once. Probably. If you remember to respect the tiki, that is ."

Mr. Smiley sez---I am 99 % sure I am going, if that is reason enough--how about other folks--Formika are you thinking about it??

Oh yeah. Even out here on the fringes of Tikidom I've had the privilege to meet some top-hole people which I hope will be life-long friends. As ever, a big thanks to Hanford.

I feel a trip to Cali in the near future is on the cards, though!

Trader Woody

Woody, are you really coming to Cali?

It has to happen. Sooner rather than later!

We're hoping to move in the next few months and will need the $$$, but with a little Tiki Central luck, we'll make enough cash on our house to squander on our 'Big Trip'.

It would really be a joy to meet up with you guys.

Trader Woody

Woody, what part of California are you planning to move to? Hopefully you can stop by So Cal for a Mai Tai or two.

Thanks Poly-pop, but it'll only be a vacation, assuming it happens. Despite having an ancient green card, I won't be moving back to the States in the next few years. (More's the pity) Many thanks for the kind Mai-Tai offer, though!

Trader Woody

T

Mrs. Miley - good to hear you are going! That's an added benefit for sure! I've got Alexis in on it, so I just gotta take a deep breath, and make the call to reserve a room. If we wre unable to attend, do you figure I could give the room to someone else? Or is that a no no?

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Jan 5, 2003 1:10 PM

If you can't make it, just cancel your reservation as early as you can so others can get it.

S

This is a belated comment but I can't remember a better year than 2002!

Tiki is one thing, but I was amazed by how many cool people we met this past year.

Just goes to show that it's never too late to make new friends.

Looking forward to '03!

Aloha,

Arty

S

Excuse the belated comment but I can't remember a better year than 2002!

Tiki is one thing, but I was amazed by how many cool people we met this past year and how much fun we had!

Just goes to show that it's never too late to make new friends.

Looking forward to '03!

Aloha,

Arty

M

keep the spirit alive !!!!

Pages: 1 18 replies