Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hey Jasmine Tree Fans

Pages: 1 4 replies

This Friday evening is the last day of their existence.

Please stop by and say your farewells to Tai, Terry her son and see all the tiki glory of the place before it gets town down in the name of light rail construction.

There is some real history here for you tiki-philes.

When Vic (as in trader) needed food for his tiki bar concept, he figured people weren't ready for actual Polynesean food, Poi and all, so he turned to Chinatown and recruited a Cantonese chef. This Chef also brought his son who was 18 at the time.

The son ended up as head chef and the guy who would fly to new locations, set up kitchens, hire the crew, and stick around to make sure everyone was on the right page.

He opened up Seattle, BH, Dallas, and of course Portland.

He fell in love with Portland.

When Stephan Crane's people came calling with the opportunity to be the head chef in Portland's new Kon Tiki, he said good bye to the Trader Vic's and headed north, young family in tow.

When the Kon Tiki closed, he took all the tiki stuff and moved it to his new Chinese restaurant...the Jasmine Tree.

After a Stroke, Tai, his wife took over the place. and now it must close.

Please come by and enjoy a Mai-Tai one last time.
Robert

R

bump

Robert,

You can't imagine how much it breaks my wife and I's hearts to lose the Jasmine Tree. We made a special stop there just a couple of months ago on our way to our first ever Tiki event as VENDORS!
We had dinner there and stayed for hours in the bar area, drinking, talking to the bartender and the patrons!
I must have shot a 100 photos in there while I was there, sneaking into every back room, every nook and cranny that had a Tiki!
We loved it there and looked forward to returning in the near future not knowing at the time that it's demise was already set!

If there is one bright side to this it is knowing that a new, and VERY COOL sounding, Tiki Bar "THATCH" will rise like a Phoenix from it's ashes! :D

Please keep us in the loop and our blessings to the family who worked for so long to give us the Jasmine Tree!

It shall be missed! :(

M

Hey Robert - I will try to make it. Majority of the NW Tiki crew is in Florida for the Lau.

Also - FYI - thread title should read "Jasmine tree Closing night party!!!!"

RB

I'm going to pop down at noon for a quick drink, and maybe get back later tonight.

Pages: 1 4 replies