Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Russel Wright / Klise Modern

Pages: 1 10 replies

Does anyone out there have any interest in the Designer Russel Wright? He designed some fantastic pieces, especially his "Oceana" series.

The work I've seen has been ceramic or wood, and they are very pleasing.

Does anybody collect these?

TM

Yes yes yes. I went to a Russel Wright exhibit at the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum in NYC in 2001 (or 2002?). It was amazing! A real treat. Dinnerware, silverware, furniture, pottery, textiles, lighting...he did it all. He was one of the first to bring modern design to the general public.

I, like a lot of other folks hear, love mid-century design and could probably go on and on, but I won't bore you.

Did I ever tell you about the time I flew from LA to New York, just because they had re-opened the old Saarinen TWA Terminal for an exhibit and when I got there the exhibit had closed early? FUCK!

Everything Tiki at: http://www.bartiki.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Matt 2006-10-04 21:12 ]

I

I also saw that exhibit of Russel Wright's work at New York's Cooper-Hewitt National Design museum, and became a fan of the Wrights work through that exhibit. I was perhaps most impressed with the impact their book 'Guide to Easier Living' had on our culture, especially on 1950's informal cocktail parties. I don't collect any of their pieces yet, but could easily see myself doing so in the future.

The Cooper-Hewitt is perhaps my favorite museum in New York, and I try to pay a visit on every journey to the city - it really has opened my eyes to the wonders and impact of design. Another exhibit there I was really impressed with was on the work of Josef and Anni Albers, who were also involved with modern design. Those of you who collect LPs will know their cover work on the old 60's Command LPs (i.e. Provocotive Percussion, Persuasive Percussion). I had a small moment of ecstatic joy, when after walking through a wonderful exhibit, I discovered those LP covers near the end, and was able to connect a life dedicated to design with some favored items in my home collection.

Vern

Books by Josef Albers actually changed my life's (Direction) when I was in College. I could NOT belive one could simply look at a page (plate) of Blue...See it's blue, know it's blue and then slide a panel of brown next to it, and the blue becomes Green.

Examples laid out as simple as a playschool book that un-did the foundation of everything you think you see.

Of course the result was me pissing away about 5 extra years trying to figure unanserable things out (like Larry from "Razor's Edge" only thirstier)

Still...as remarkable a book as I've ever seen.

Gigantolope, I too got caught up in Josef Albers and other Black Mountain College artists in college (Rauschenberg, Fuller, Cage, Cunningham....mostly all the Beats). The Albers book is wonderful if you ever get the chance to see one. They are limited and most are now kept in library special collections because of the rash of people cutting the plates out of them to sell on ebay. Very sad. I love all things mid century modern and long for the day when I might be able to afford to collect.

waikiki

TM

[i]I love all things mid century modern and long for the day when I might be able to afford to collect.

waikiki

You may have missed the boat my friend.

I'm not worried Tiki Matt...things will come full circle and MCM will be worthless again one day. And I'm still very young and will hopefully be around to see that happen! So, I believe the boat will be back around to pick me up......one day.

TM

On 2006-10-05 15:51, waikiki tiki wrote:
I'm not worried Tiki Matt...things will come full circle and MCM will be worthless again one day. And I'm still very young and will hopefully be around to see that happen! So, I believe the boat will be back around to pick me up......one day.

Ah, to be young again.....oh wait.....nevermind.....believe young one, believe.....good luck, at least you're in the south.

I have some Russel Wright furniture, dishes and metal barware, always liked his stuff. Some of it i didn't know was Russel Wright 'til long after I bought it. As far as MCM becoming worthless again, don't hold your breath. Craftsmen style became popular again in the 80's and is still going strong, alot of grotesque postmodern "CRAPSmen" homes are being built in this area with a few craftsmen type details on a cheap crappy home. MCM hasn't even hit it's mainstream stride yet and once it does there will be a huge price increase eventually followed by a slowing or near flattening of valuation, but it will never be "worthless" again. Go and buy NOW! I'm still finding Saarinen side chairs for 5 bucks and Russel Wright chairs for 12. I also see Eames and Witco sold for cheap by unknowing thrifts and consigners. You can pay with time spent looking or with cash, I prefer looking since I'm not wealthy....The Eichler like ranch home I've lived in a yr. has gone from 170,000 to 220,000 appraisal in a yr. and the market here is almost completely ignorant of MCM yet.

Wow! I just "googled" the info as I wasn't familiar with Russell Wright, look what I found:

http://www.architonic.com/mus/8101421/1

I'd say his pieces are collectible according to this site...

Really beautiful work.

the wife bought an entire russel wright bedroom suite. we didnt know who he was till afterwards.

Pages: 1 10 replies