Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2006 - Daily Update, Messages, Photos - Post Here

Pages: 1 21 replies

T

Aloha to All,

I started this thread as a way for Hukilau attendees to post and/or communicate with others about the activities of Hukilau 2006.

I got in yesterday (Wed) and observed first hand all the hard work Kiliki and her team are putting forth for this event. It is amazing just how much detail there is in getting an event like this produced.

We had a nice get together last night at the Mai Kai where all the early arrivers converged to kick things off. Floor show, drinks, old and new ohana, and the atmosphere provided a great start for the event.

I Bella de Waikiki arrived last night and are excited to be performing at Hukilau once again.

Basement Kahuna arrived with many of his thrift store finds (many for sale) and, more importantly, some of his beautiful carvings. Other vendors are also gearing up for the Tiki Bazaar which will be bigger than previous years.

BK also received a tremendous honor last night when a nearly 5 foot tiki he carved and gave to the Mai Kai was unveiled. It was placed in the enclosed garden adjacent to the stage. It is in the center of the garden and is striking in the setting amongst the waterfall, lava rocks and other various tikis. I will try to get a picture up.

Kiliki and BK are off early this morning to the local NBC affiliate to do a segment on the event. They are taking also sorts of clothing, artifacts, mugs, exotica music, etc. to show during the interview. What a great way to get the general public interested in our passions.

Things officially start at 10 a.m. so everybody get ready! And to all the attendees, get some comments and photos up for the ohana that is unable to make it (this year) to The Hukilau.

Balmy regards,

TB

[ Edited by: tikibob 2006-10-05 06:57 ]

Aloha from the Molokai Bar at the Mai-Kai!

Poptiki and Tikikiliki

Tiki guarding the Chinese Ovens.

Stumpgrinder says Hi!

And more here as the weekend continues...

S

Boy howdy!
Wish I was there!!!!
everyone have a lil bit of extra fun for
all of us that can't be there.
Pea

H
Helz posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 10:13 AM

And just a few snaps from last night...

Shameless family photo...PopTiki and TikiMom

Andy and a couple other wonderful folks whose names have slipped my mind (Damn Jet Pilots)

Loki and PopTiki

How many TCers can you spot in this pic?

Otikiniko in a rare moment in FRONT of the camera

Basement Kahuna and the Marq sporting an offical Glow in The Dark BK button

Ms. TikiKiliki in a rare standing still Hukilau moment, and sporting some pretty swell ink.

And...The Marquesan and Mr. Beachbum

More to come as the event progresses!

T

We arrived early yesterday and the front desk at the yankee clipper gave us a flyer about a Kava Lounge at sunrise and A1a that serves real Vannauutu Kava, we had to check it out, it was unbeleivable, it was called Kahuna Awa Kava lounge, they serve authentic Kava in ceremonial bowls for $25, we drank a bowl between the 2 of us and got completly blasted,we could hardly walk back to the hotel, hell of an experience,I recommend everyone check this spot out

if you see someone like this, or wearing a blue fez, give him a drink :D

E

Keep those pictures coming! Looks like everyone is having fun!

M
Matiki posted on Fri, Oct 6, 2006 6:16 AM

Love that tattoo. Looks like fun down there

Seeing these pics makes me wish I were there for the last two nights!

I guess I can wait til tomorrow. In less than 24 hrs, I'll be there!!!

L
Loki posted on Fri, Oct 6, 2006 11:17 AM

Just a few pics from last nights kick off party at the cabana.
The Haole/Wholly Kats setting up...

some of the I Belli Di Waikiki guys before the show..they played an awesome set by the way.

i have no idea why, but we had arm wrestling too....high stakes

more to come....

Here are a couple from last night and today! We're having a great time so far, tons of really nice people.

-adrian

[ Edited by: MobileTikiBar 2006-10-06 12:15 ]

S

OMG OMG OMG
I wish i was there.
If that cute lil buddy of mine Pep Torres is still around, could
someone tell him Hi from me?
Thanks much!

All those goodies for sale are just killin me, FABOOOOO stuff!

Pea

[ Edited by: sweetpea 2006-10-06 14:42 ]

C

Good to see a shot of Lakesurfer....one Wisconsinite made it...now where is Finkdaddy? This looks
like too much fun...gotta go next year!

More! More! More!!!!

Hukilau 2006 is a blast! Having fun here with Mistah Ho, and soon... Space Kadet & TMoX!

Here's a coconut!

What is everyone looking at?

That is what everyone is looking at. The First Mermaid to swim in the Wreck Bar in over 20 years.

And more can be seen here...

Y'all, I'm so jealous I could spit nails. Eighteen months in Korea means two missed Hukilaus (plus countless other funtimes). Damn!

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 7:22 AM

Oy! What a weekend! I need days of rest to recover! What can you say? Great times with great people... Managed to get to bed before the sun came up each night. Managed not to have any hangovers. Came home with no money. Sunburned. Pablus on the Mai Kai stage was great. Need sleep...

U

I'm at Fort Lauderdale airport right now getting ready to board the 'end of the Hukilau' plane back to Detroit (where snow is forecasted for this Thursday)! What a blast we had! This certainly makes up for our 2004 evacuation c/o Hurricane Jeanne. We met cool people, made a few new friends, got sunburned, played ukes until sunrise and damaged our livers. A successful vacation by any standard. Special shout out to the Long Island Contingency, Vic & Susan, Black Sands, Charle, Jen and the rest of the Rooftop Jammers, Haole Kats, Ape & Crazy Al, King Kukulele & family and of course Tiki Kiliki and associates. I'll be posting some pictures in a few days. ALOHA!!!

[ Edited by: Ukulare 2006-10-09 13:34 ]

Hey guys!
Hukilau was my first immersion in a tiki event. I have glanced at this site many times but never posted. Some of the great people I met at Hukilau, though, suggested that I do...so here I am! We can consider this my formal tiki society debut! lol Let me say thank you to all the people who went out of their way to be welcoming to the new guys! Because of some of you, I had a really wonderful weekend...and came away with a much smaller wallet, but a bigger mug collection! lol Once I have time to sit down and peruse the entire site and learn to post pics, I will share some of the ones I took as well as give more thoughts on the entire event.
In the meantime, let me say Hi and a huge thanks to forgive me for using real names until I learn these tiki handles Casey, Alan, Alice, Savannah, and especially Elizabeth! I promised you all I would post here, so here I am...get in touch with me! :) And find me a more creative tiki name! lol
Noel
SouthBamaTiki

And how could I possibly have missed TikiBree?!?! The most beautiful mermaid to grace the Seven Seas...or a swimming pool :)

T

Well, it is pictures like this that warm the cockles of my heart. We did have a rip-roaring fun time in the congo line with the lobsters!

Thanks to all who participated in the Tiki Bob's Tiki Bobster Fest!

Anybody have any more photos?

TB

Pages: 1 21 replies