Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Von Stronheim....Bar Exam

Pages: 1 30 replies

Since Otto isn't about to be showing off the new photos of his bar, I, in all modesty, of course, will post the images for him. Had a grand time shooting His Tiki'dem and the delightful Baby Doe in their Alameda CA home Tiki bar. Would you believe that Baby Doe has never done a pinup shoot? A CRIME!!! I volunteer to correct this mongo oversight...

http://www.lafterhall.com/otto_von_stronheim.html

Watch your back!
Jim Ferreira
Livermore CA
http://www.lafterhall.com/intro.html

T

Cool, A Shag painting with them in it. I like the way this bar is set up. Clean , composed, and great mugs. Its cool too how all the mugs are in one put and arranged nicely.

B

Wow, those are great pictures! They really do Otto's bar justice. I agree, the arrangement of the bar is perfect and the red walls make everything pop. I am very jealous.

BB

That is so great. I would never want to leave.

On 2006-10-05 12:51, filmnoirphotos wrote:
Since Otto isn't about to be showing off the new photos of his bar, I, in all modesty, of course, will post the images for him. Had a grand time shooting His Tiki'dem and the delightful Baby Doe in their Alameda CA home Tiki bar. Would you believe that Baby Doe has never done a pinup shoot? A CRIME!!! I volunteer to correct this mongo oversight...

http://www.lafterhall.com/otto_von_stronheim.html

Ughhhhh! Just noticed I have Otto's last name spelling wrong.....must be the miles can't be the years....

The web address has now been corrected to:

http://www.lafterhall.com/otto_von_stroheim.html

Sorry for the confusion......my usual state.

Jim

V
virani posted on Fri, Oct 6, 2006 9:22 AM

I'm amazed by that home tiki bar, everything is perfect. And what great pictures, excellent quality. You really are a great photographer.

OOOOHHHHH, I spy a piece of my art on the wall Dawn

Amazing photos as always, fimnoirphotos. You truly are a master of the lens.
And I concur...Baby Doe is one hot Mama!! Get this gal in a pin up calendar quick!!

And on the subject of home Tiki bars, have a look at the Tiki shack, well, some of the interior, belonging to writer/author Eddie Muller, also of Alameda. This little shack is to die for. The photos are for an article in Alameda magazine about Eddie's annual SF Film Noir film festival.

http://www.lafterhall.com/eddie_muller.html

Watch your back!
Jim

http://www.lafterhall.com/intro.html

[ Edited by: filmnoirphotos 2006-10-06 20:09 ]

F
foamy posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 5:51 AM

That last photo in Otto's shoot, the red one, is absolutely killer. The rest of your work is great, but that red one has it all. I like it alot.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 7:28 AM

I know Eddie Muller from his annual San Fran & Egyptian Hollywood Film Noir fests. He wrote "Dark City", which is one of the best books about film ever. The guy is an amazing novelist as well.

Jimminy Christmnas, I had no idea he had a '40s tiki bar at his house. Has Otto been there?...

Baby Doe is great, but if a party is on, gimme that bartender and we need 6 Missionary's Downfalls for Mr. Sinatra's table.

The Tiki bar shoots have been both challenging and a great deal of fun. Thanks for the thumbs up on my work. Working out lighting that shows off the bar while maintaining much of the low light ambiance is quite challenging, but thus far, most rewarding. And, of course, working with folks such as Otto, Baby Doe, Eddie Muller, and, Michael and Martin over at Forbidden Island has been a Tiki delight. Did I mention the infamous Will the Thrill....didn't think so. And then there is Monica Tiki Goddess......oh, my...

Anyway, I would be up for doing shoots at other San Francisco bay area home Tiki Bars. Only cost you a gin & tonic ....or two.

New to Tiki'dem but having some kind of good time now!
Jim
Livermore CA

G
GROG posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 1:32 PM

Hey Filmnoirphotos,

Nice photos, dude.

GROG knows a guy who looks EXACTLY like a young Frank Sinatra.He would be PERFECT for your film noir photos.
If interested, let GROG know and GROG get you his contact info.

R

Just went all through your sit Jim. Amazing work!!

On 2006-10-08 13:32, GROG wrote:
Hey Filmnoirphotos,

Nice photos, dude.

GROG knows a guy who looks EXACTLY like a young Frank Sinatra.He would be PERFECT for your film noir photos.
If interested, let GROG know and GROG get you his contact info.

Exceedingly cool! If he's up for playing the part, I'm up for a shoot.

GROG, send contact information, please. Good GROG.

Watch your back!
Jim

On 2006-10-08 14:08, rodeotiki wrote:
Just went all through your sit Jim. Amazing work!!

Thanks. It's been amazing fun!

Watch your back!
Jim

P

Good stuff.

Hopefully you'll help us all raise the bar a bit on our own photographic offerings, as well.

T

I can't believe how great Baby Doe looks after having two babies!

Oh, the bar looks good too.

T

Your B&W photos are just the best. That kind of lighting is hard
to get right.

Beautiful place...and (respectfully) the wife, too. Great lighting choices.

Otto looks so STIFF!

Doe is going with the Flow..........

Totally Incredible Pictures!!!!! Jim has done a spectacular job capturing Otto's "grotto." The lighting is superb!!

The bar looks great and Baby Doe looks even better!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Nice Pix! Nice bar! Handsome couple!

U

I am pea-green with envy. Beautiful bar. Gorgeous art. Great mugs. LOTSA booze. Make mine a Zombie please, Otto!

T

Let's do a 'reshoot' with a smiling Otto !!!

T

Otto is just bieng Otto. No smile is more old time phoho

T

No 'smile' = old !!!

Tomorow I'll stand in the front of my Tiki bar and have the misses take unsmile picture... Reason I won't be smiling it will be 89 freaking degress with 70% humidity !!!!
So this Sunday 9/22/06 post pics of yourself standing next to your tiki bar not smiling !!!!
Look Old
Feel Young
Good night and good picture taking !!!!

T

no smiles and use the brown not black/white filters too.

On 2006-10-21 18:59, TikiLaLe wrote:
Let's do a 'reshoot' with a smiling Otto !!!

Uh,....Otto was smiling.

Watch your back!
Jim

O
Otto posted on Thu, Oct 26, 2006 10:19 PM

I was smiling at first but the exposures were long and it is hard to hold a smile. I thought Jim and I agreed that a non-smiley photo would result in a better "look" for the shoot. Leaning more toward Bogart than Buffet!

I loves me some otto, smiles or not. the lounge is stellar. otto helped peak my interest in tiki with tiki news. long live your kingdom and it's heirs. and brother, that baby doe is still a baby doll.... jimmy.

Pages: 1 30 replies