Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Rachel Ray's show in Oahu with Tiki bar

Pages: 1 8 replies

O

Just now heard about this episode on the Food Network this morning. Did anyone happen to see it? I heard she visited the last real Tiki bar in Oahu. Hope they repeat it. Here is the info from Food Network site.
$40 a Day
Episode AD1B04

AIR TIMES:
October 06, 2006 9:00 PM ET/PT
October 07, 2006 12:00 AM ET/PT

Oahu, HI on $40 a Day
Host Rachael Ray heads to the Hawaiian island of Oahu for a day of sun, fun, and the inexpensive delicacies of the Aloha State, all for just $40! Rachel's frugal dining includes a buffet at the Shorebird Beach Broiler & a Bento Box Lunch at the North Shore Okazuya.

Ojaitimo

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-10-07 10:41 ]

What about grilled garlic shrimp from the North Shore trucks?

Under $10, the blue sky, ocean breeze, tropical fauna comprise the interior and the exterior of the picnic table dinning room.

Also, there is a "Got Tiki" bumber sticker.

A tip from Dave & Rebecca of the Purple Orchid.

[i]On 2006-10-07 10:40, Ojaitimo wrote:

Oahu, HI on $40 a Day
Host Rachael Ray heads to the Hawaiian island of Oahu for a day of sun, fun, and the inexpensive delicacies of the Aloha State, all for just $40! Rachel's frugal dining includes a buffet at the Shorebird Beach Broiler & a Bento Box Lunch at the North Shore Okazuya.

Was the Tiki Bar either Tiki's or La Marinara?

M

If this is the episode that I think you're talking about (I saw it a few months ago) - she didn't go to a tiki bar. She went to Duke's. An awesome bar, but not tiki. They only thing I got out of it is how crappy of a tipper she is. It is easy to make it on $40 a day when you have dinner and a drink and only tip less than $2!

O

I missed the show but my girlfriend said they called it the last Tiki bar in Honolulu. It had tikis, puffer fish, maybe it was Duke's but I will ask her if it was. Nobody saw the episode this weekend?
The shrimp truck( I think its Giovani's?) has the best garlic shrimp I have ever had period. Last time we were there I drove to the north shore just to have lunch at the shrimp truck before we left so I could get the recipe but they wouldn't give it(I even tipped well unlike Rachel).
I wish I could fiqure it out. Anyone know it?

This is the place, from Crtiki___________
La Mariana Sailing Club is the last remaining bastion of true original Polynesian Pop in Hawaii. It opened in 1955, and over the years, it has become a sort of museum of Waikiki's tiki past: the tikis here came out of the Kon-Tiki in the Sheraton-Waikiki, lamps came from the Trader Vic's, and tables and chairs photo
Joan P.

Reviews
Written: 176came from Don the Beachcomber. Original owner Annette La Mariana Nahinu still runs the operation today. La Mariana features a lively piano bar, and guests can join in on the singing.

La Mariana's original location was 50 yards from its current location; it moved in 1973. There is an 80-boat slip attached to the restaurant which sits on Ke'ehi Lagoon. La Mariana is a bit tricky to find -- while on Sand Island Road, keep your eyes peeled for a white sign with "50" spray-painted "50" in black: that's your turn. Follow that road to La Mariana.

In September 2006 comes word that Annette Nahinu, who is turning 92, would like La Mariana to continue after she is gone. With that in mind, she is looking to sell La Mariana (she has no children, and needs to ensure that when she passes, its ownership is undisputed). Her asking price is $3 million.

It is Giovanni's, here are some reviews from a site

Giovanni's Shrimp
****1/2 based on 10 reviews

Categories: Seafood [Edit]
Kamehameha Highway on the North Shore
South of Kahuku Sugar Mill
North Shore, HI 96734

Reviews
Written: 9

03/28/2006 *****

Love shrimp? Be sure to stop by at Giovanni's Shrimp Wagon ~ either at Kahuku or Haleiwa and order a plate of dozen (scampi style - loaded with garlic!!) shrimp with two scoops of rice! The shrimp are prepared one of three ways ~ (really) hot & spicy, grilled with lemon-and-butter and (my choice & most popular) scampi.

What's a drive in the country without shrimp? Garlicky good shrimps? Yum!!!!!!!

04/06/2006 *****

I'm starting to drool just thinking about this place. The shrimp here is go great, especially with the breeze and the smell of the ocean nearby. Hot rice to go with this on a sunny afternoon sitting in the shade and looking around at the scenery? Cannot be beat.

I never really ate A shrimp before until I came here one hot lazy afternoon. They are a classic shrimp truck...sitting on a patch of grass by the side of the road on your way up to North Shore. You must stop and have their Shrimp Scampi...you will never have a better version in your life. The tables are usually dirty and it is crowded with celebs and tourists. But who cares about that! THE SCAMPI is out of this world...so much buttery garlic. Something about eating food in Hawaii makes it taste so much better:)
Book a flight and get your ass to Giovanni's...now!

Eat shrimp from a truck? YES! And it's tasty! Shrimp is one of those foods that can taste like trash when it's not prepared correctly. Giovanni's has fresh shrimp cooked to perfection. They offer several different types of plates. I had the extra spicey plate and one plate wasn't enough. The oil, the garlic, the pepper and oh yes, the shrimp. I bet you can't just eat one!

While you're there... get a sharpie and sign the truck!

I never leave the island without having a plate of shrimp scampi. It's soooo good. I never really cared for shrimp, but when it comes to Giovanni's, I'm there. There's other shrimp trucks around, but by far, I think this is the best place. Make it a day trip around the island. Before you reach North Shore, have lunch at Giovanni's.

Eat it with your hands, it's okay!

Oooooh....Giovanni's. Often imitated but never duplicated. Giovanni's is the real North Shore shrimp truck. The lemon-butter shrimp is good, but the classic scampi is really the way to go.

Don't be fooled by the others that are around. Make sure it's Giovanni's Shrimp Truck before you stop the car. You didn't drive up to North Shore for the other guys did you?

If you're like me, when you visit Oahu, you enjoy everything about your trip except for the lack of good food. Come here to fix that. Best shrimp scampi I've ever had was from this shrimp truck. Yes, this is a truck off the side of the street that serves up some tasty shrimp. Interestingly enough, they actually don't get their shrimp from the nearby shrimp farms; it's cheaper for them to buy shrimp from mainland U.S. People say that Romy's Shrimp Shack is the best shrimp you can get along the North Shore, but I liked this place much better.

I really can't say enough about Giovanni's! On a one week trip to Oahu, my partner and I ate here 3 times. That's how good it was. And it's quite a drive from Waikiki, but it's so worth it!

A must have is the garlic shrimp. The hot and sour shrimp comes in a close second, but always had to default back to the garlic shrimp. I've never had shrimp like this before! Two mounds of white rice covered in garlic encrusted shrimp. It can get messy, but who cares!

Don't stop for just any shrimp truck along the side of the road. Look for Giovanni's...it's the one with the writing on it. You won't regret it!

Shrimp so good you'll think you need more, but you won't be able to fit it... Don't look for glamour, cats roam around and wait for you to drop anything. They run out of some dishes, so make it a lunch stop, and don't fall for any other shrimp truck, they aren't half as good.
This Message was e

The north shore shrimp thread in food & drink has what may be the recipe if you want it and Sabu found a place, Uncle Moki's in LA on La Cienaga who used to be a partner with Giovanni's and has the shrimp. He is planning on checking it out.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-10-10 11:25 ]

M

My girlfriend just told me that the episode that had Duke's did also feature La Mariana, which is the last true tiki bar here. I must have missed that part, or maybe I was too busy cursing Rachel Ray!!

[i]On 2006-10-09 12:29, Mo-Eye wrote:
My girlfriend just told me that the episode that had Duke's did also feature La Mariana, which is the last true tiki bar here. I must have missed that part, or maybe I was too busy cursing Rachel Ray!!

This may be hair-splitting, but I think Tiki's is the last true Tiki Bar.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6469&forum=2

Why are you cursing Rachel Ray? She's spreading the tiki faith and cute as a button and has the chearleader personality.

she is best described as a MUPPET--but honestly? she is KINDA HOT in a JERSEY kind of way...if she went to Dukes, that place is definitely more beachcomber than Tiki but it still shares a tik-esque vibe--they have a kick ass coconut shrimp & the salad bar rules too...would watch that but all those cooking shows kinda melt into ONE after a while...ESSENCE of EMERIL? who wants THAT?

Giovanni's Shrimp
****1/2 based on 10 reviews

Categories: Seafood [Edit]
Kamehameha Highway on the North Shore
South of Kahuku Sugar Mill
North Shore, HI 96734

This is the best place.. but i think it is 12 bucks for shrimp plate lunch now. but worth every penny....

the don't give out recipe , but they use the kids who work the cultural center..
that's owned by BYU..So hit one of them up .. I am sure they will share recipe

Pages: 1 8 replies