Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Enchanted Tiki Room - Original Display Tiki or Souvenir?

Pages: 1 13 replies

I just found this today at a local antique mall and have searched the threads for what I remember was a similar post to this, but no luck.

I think this is/was part of the actual decor of the ETR. He "stands" about 12-inches tall and looks like he should be hanging from the back of his necklace to look as though he's just jumped off something (diving, in other words). There are no markings on him other than a hand painted number on his rear. He looks like wood, but I think he's resin-cast even though he's kinda heavy. He's pretty dirty, but I'm not cleaning him until I figure out what he is!

Can somebody tell me if I'm right and/or point me to the other, similar thread?

Thanks!

the amount of genuinely kick-ass finds in Kansas never ceases to amaze me. Congrats!

-Z

(and, no, I have no clue if it was from the actual attraction or the gift shop)

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2006-10-08 17:49 ]

HOLY CRAP!!! that's a great find! I think I would have sh*t myself if I came accross that.

I wish I knew more about it too, but if we keep the post towards the top maybe someone else will!

SCORE!!!!!!

T

They were for sale - there's another post somewhere on TC about this... Nice score! They are rare!

OL

Here's the old thread.

On 2006-10-08 19:02, ookoo lady wrote:
Here's the old thread.

Thanks! THAT"S the thread I was thinking about! Wish there were more pictures. Anybody have any more photos? There were four styles? And Disney sold some originals in the gift shop???

When I turned the corner at the antique mall and saw him, I thought "Hmmm. Now where have I seen you before?" The more I looked at him, the more I was sure he was from the Enchanted Tiki Room. It was marked "Strange primitive figure" on the price tag; not altogether inaccurate, and priced in keeping with that description. I figured he was worth it just to see if I was right. I've had some AMAZING luck lately!

MY GOD BRAD! ARE YOU LUCKY OR WHAT!!!!!

(YES I'm jealous!)

You're gonna have to write another book about all your amazing finds!!!!

T

That's a great find.....If you ever want to sell or trade him keep me in mind please. I love Disney/tiki related items.
Thanks for sharing........peace.
Tikinomad

Killer find! I would have had a heart-attack and keeled over on the spot most likely. I would keep it forever, but you can also probably make a couple of house payments if you ever decide to sell it on eBay. I consider those Tangaroa babies to be one of the lesser holy grails of tiki collecting.

Sabu

Thanks for the links! I've read all the posts and I'm still not really clear on when these guys were sold. I wish all the picture links in the old threads worked, then I'd know whether mine is like what's being discussed or not. Does anyone have any photos of the various versions (short WED version, tall fiberglass version, clay[?] version, etc.)?? I'd love to see what's what.

Thanks!

Here is a picture of my Tangaroa Baby. He is all black and has Copyright Walt Disney Productions on the back (butt.) He is a short version about 6 inches tall.

S

Nice find! This is one of those items that is at a convergence. It has value to both tiki collectors, and Disney collectors. And, Disney collectors are a huge bunch. Disney stuff is like Coca Cola stuff. Old, original, goes high. Good market. It is worth more as a Disney item than as a tiki item. I'd guess it's worth over a grand on Ebay, but not 100% sure. Very nice piece. I'd love to have him hanging from the roof of my Hideaway!

So... what'd you get him for... rub it in...

I hate to rub it in, but it really is one of those things you'll always remember when it happens to you. I bought him for just under $30!

Sadly, though, I need money more than I need him, so he's up for sale now. See Marketplace for more info.

Pages: 1 13 replies