Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Pictures of New Zealand Tiki

Pages: 1 9 replies

H
Hajduk posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 9:20 PM

I went around New Zealand last week, drove to lake Taupo and went to Rotorua this is where i got the photos from the Muesum of Rotorua's main gate. I was leaving and thought tiki central would like to see these. i have more but are on my girlfriends camera, ill load them asap. Enjoy

This is 1 of Tauranga's beaches

Tiki at the main gate

A tiki picket fence

This mask was about 5k NZ. thinks thats about 2500 US.

[ Edited by: Hajduk 2006-10-08 21:22 ]

B

Hi Hadjuk and Welcome to Tiki Central. Come on in and stay awhile and post all the pic's you can find. NZ ROCKS!

Gidday mate. Havent bumped into many NZ TC'ers, Im down in Greymouth, West coast, Sth Ild...

Nice mask, possibly Todd Couper?

Im sure these folks would love to see more pics. Not so many marae or carvings down this way.

See you 'round! Tama

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 3:34 PM

Mate, more Tcers from the Southern Hemisphere - tops :)

Thanks for the pics too :)

B

Any possibility of seeing Larger versions of these excellent Pieces??

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 20, 2006 7:02 AM

On 2006-10-20 06:54, Benzart wrote:
Any possibility of seeing Larger versions of these excellent Pieces??

They thumbnails man, click on em :)

Nice stuff..the paintings on the picket fence are traditional Maori Rafter painting patterns. Great photos.

Note to self: Must go to New Zealand asap. Does anyone know when's the best month to go?

On 2006-11-01 07:16, Orphananas wrote:
Note to self: Must go to New Zealand asap. Does anyone know when's the best month to go?

Really couldnt tell you the BEST month to go, but...

Our summery months are Nov-Feb & wintery May-Aug, or thereabouts.. We have a temperate climate meaning we experience a full range of seasons.
Not as hot as Australia, but hotter in the North Island, reaching as high as low 30s centigrade. If you want to experience COLD, head South.

Our busy/tourist season is summer, but we also have a winter season for those who are into skiing, snowboarding etc... (Queenstown in the Sth of the Sth puts on a big WinterFest not to miss!!)

*I would recommend summer of course!

Hope this helps. Tama :)

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Nov 1, 2006 1:35 PM

On 2006-11-01 10:59, Tamapoutini wrote:

On 2006-11-01 07:16, Orphananas wrote:

If you want to experience COLD, head South.

This is a bit misleading...we have plenty of places in the South Island that get just as hot as up North in summer, but without the humidity. As for winter, I've been places in the North Island (e.g. central plateau)that were as cold as anything I've felt here. You can't really generalise about the weather here as there are so many different zones in each island.

If you just want to see tikis, the North Island is where it's at - that's where the Maori and Polynesian population is strongest. Auckland and Rotorua would cover the bases nicely. It's probably worth heading down to Wellington to check out the National Museum (Te Papa)too. If you want uncrowded scenic beauty, the South is tops.
If I had to recommend months, February and March would probably be best. Still nice and warm, but without the crazy traffic and crowded beaches of December/January.

Pages: 1 9 replies