Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Anyone ever hear of this re-finishing trick?

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hey-

Someone told me today that if you rub Mayo on wood that has turned black from mold or age dis-coloration, it'll come out. That is, the black stain will dissappear. Has anyone else ever heard of this? I've got mayo on a log right now and at 1 hour & counting, nothing seems to be happening.

Whattaya think, folks?

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2006-10-09 00:51 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2006-10-09 09:38 ]

Sounds about right. Ive heard of putting natural yoghurt on outside bricks/stonework to encourage a lichen/mould thing...

Whoah, just read it again: youre trying to get the stain OUT of the wood! In that case, I know nothing, forget I spoke. haha

H
hewey posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 4:28 AM

On 2006-10-09 03:35, Tamapoutini wrote:
Whoah, just read it again: youre trying to get the stain OUT of the wood! In that case, I know nothing, forget I spoke. haha

hahaha :)

Sorry, I cant help either...

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 5:49 AM

Mayo actually will darken or bring out the wood's natural color if scratched as in finished furniture etc. As for "bleaching" out a dark or black spot...I would use 1 part bleach to 10 parts water solution and apply with paint brush liberally over the area, and dry in the sun. If that doesn't do it, I would use steel wool. My .2

Mahalo

McTiki

TL

Well, here it is today, and the blackness is even blacker. McTiki, you are totally right. The wood has become totally dark and rich. Makes sense- Mayo is primarily vegatable oil. I probably just sealed in and protected the mold! I was thinking that just as I was putting it on, but I did it anyway. The Dad of the friend that told me about it has been a re-finisher for years, so I thought she'd be right.

Maybe that bleach concoction will get thru the "Mayo Layer" and still get the stain. Let's hope!

M

Don't forget the sunshine to activate the chlorine's affects too.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 1:10 PM

add some bacon and lettuce to that tiki and you'll have a BLT!

Mmmmmm, yummmie!

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 1:32 PM

I waz thinkin Avacado slivers,,,

Pages: 1 8 replies