Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Fashion of the early 1960s

Pages: 1 29 replies

Hi,
Can anyone direct me to fashion of the early 1960s that was worn at these parties (Hi Fi era)? Either websites that have photos, or links to pics? The more pics the better! Thanks so much!
Crystal

TP

As I remember, Sabu had a post awhile back ref swinging singles in the 1960's and it showed some pics. you might try searching that...
aloha!

There's also a book called "Retro Luau" that has a lot of clip art and pictures from '60s Hawaiian albums and such. It had pictures of '50s-'60s tourists in Hawaii, which will probably give you some good ideas.

R

Well I've really gotten into retro clothes (and hats) for me and my girl the last few years so I'l chuck in my nickel's worth and say; from what I've seen in pix of tropical parties, supper/nightclubs, luaus and bars over the years it seems there were 3 levels of dress portrayed. First and foremost the 50's-60's Rat-Pack era was quite formal by today's standards, and it was gentlemen in jackets and ties, and the ladies in tight acetate cocktail or a fancy sarong style dresses, both with maybe a lei about their neck. This was the look for supper clubs such as the Kahiki or Trader Vics (hell it was the look just to go shopping or to the movies back then!). Check out http://whirlingturban.com/ for some awesome high style sarong dresses and other similar stunning dresses!

Then there is the more casual look with guys in a NICE ironed Hawaiian Shirt with long PRESSED slacks (such as linen or a cotton/rayon blend, and rarely shorts) and gals in sarong style dress of a less formal style or maybe even an actual QUALITY sarong tied properly (easy to do and it is surprising how nice a straight, 'finished' piece of batik or bark-cloth or just a tropo print material can look when it is tied well). If it was an outdoor affair men may have worn hats. Pork pies and fedoras made of straw, visca or panama (which is made from a type of palm) were common, and ALWAYS with a 1-1/2" or less stingy brim (NOT a 2"+ broad brim!).

Lastly there was the beach-bum look which seems to have been more a joke than actually applied. This was a marooned on a desert island look that was probably popular with the newly emerging surfer crowd which consisted of bare-feet (or sandals), shorts (sometimes looking cut off and disheveled), cheaper looking print Hawaiian shirts and palm frond hats (stingy or broad brimmed) for the hep cat beach-bum and loosely tied sarongs maybe over or around a one piece swimsuit (or modest 2 piece bikini), or a moo-moo (not the huge bags that we think of today, but just a tasteful, more modest looking Hawaiian style dress) for the krazy kittens. You see this look portrayed at beachside luaus and poolside BBQs in postcards from the era.

Remember the shockingly sloppy and disheveled look of the hippy movement was still 6-8 years away and in 1960 it was de rigueur to be sharp, pressed, and have clean lines. Well presented was the way of the day! :wink:

[ Edited by: Rattiki 2006-10-11 08:06 ]

Hi Rattiki,
Thanks for all your comments. I am getting a better grasp on this whole look, but what had confused me is that I was told to watch the party in "Breakfast at Tiffany's", which for the most part was dresses that were much different than the Hawaiian or sarong look. I bought a dress that I was hoping would work from this era, but it seems there was more of the tight dresses, rather than the full skirts? Anyway, here's a dress I was going to wear with a lei, but maybe this is the wrong time period?? Can you tell me what you think? I am full figured anyway, so the tight sarong dress is hard to find for me.
Crystal

R

On 2006-10-11 07:54, Rattiki wrote:
First and foremost the 50's-60's Rat-Pack era was quite formal by today's standards, and it was gentlemen in jackets and ties, and the ladies in tight acetate cocktail or a fancy sarong style dresses, both with maybe a lei about their neck. This was the look for supper clubs such as the Kahiki or Trader Vics (hell it was the look just to go shopping or to the movies back then!). Check out http://whirlingturban.com/ for some awesome high style sarong dresses and other similar stunning dresses!
[ Edited by: Rattiki 2006-10-11 08:06 ]

As you'll note above I did say TIGHT cocktail dress. :wink: Cut to squeeze the curves, it was the standard Rat-Pack party look of the late 50's and early 60's.....Yeah baby! Ring-a-ding-ding! So in a way your friend is right, Breakfast at Tiffany's was made in 1961 and that wonderful cocktail scene is indicative of that era's cocktail party look.

BUT! Your going to a luau. Now the dress you have is more early to mid 50's (the year 1957 seems to have brought a big change in style, music, movies etc.) probably worn with a crinoline. It is OK and you could dress it up a bit with a NICE silk lei from HiloHattie.com or IslandPlanet (quite often found at your local drug store, at least here in Florida their stuff is) some silk flowers in your hair etc., but I would say that a tropical print is what you want to wear. If you look at Audry Hepbern's dress in the above pictures you'll notice that it's really not so much a dress but a sarong worn in a certain style. There are numerous sites that will show you how to wear a sarong in this style and with a retro tropical print (of a heavier, quality fabric-NOT the light hippy style, beach wrap crap), a groovy hair-doo, the right jewelery (a pineapple broach and clip earrings?) and some well placed flowers you would look divine! Remember details will help make the look come together. A swank hairstyle and/or make up with heavier eyeliner and red lipstick which was used so much back then will make a big difference.

Personally if I was at this luau it would be the beauty in blue that would catch my eye and I KNOW I'm not alone on that one! :lol:), so you might want use her look for some inspiration as well :wink:

T

Check out all of the threads full of photos from Hukilau - you'll get the idea right there.

I think this is what was confusing so many people going to this convention party. They didn't know if we should be wearing Hawaiian fashion, or cocktail party attire (ala Breakfast in Tiffany's). The name (theme) of this convention "Hi-Fi in Stereo." The party is called "Royal Tiki Pool Party." Here's what the sheet says:

Come ready to party!

The Tiki Gods are amongst us as we get ready to limbo by the pool. For the first time at a convention, our chosen venue has agreed to let us use the pool area to have a party... is it just me or can I feel a truly cool happening about to explode? Shall we sacrifice a convention virgin to the Tiki Gods anyone? Nah! We'll just buy her a Flaming Royal Virgin, the official drink of the event!

We have a ton of fun in store for you including a costume party, live band, free raffles, plus much more. Costumes are optional, but there are spectacular prizes and you can't win if you don't participate.

Costume Theme:
In the early 60's, American suburbia was fascinated with pool and cocktails parties on the patio and of course everyone was fascinated by those strange and exotic Hawaiian Gods that would light up the parties and make them last until the wee hours of the morning. Tiki Lounges (bar rooms decorated in the Tiki style) were opening everywhere in North America, from Las Vegas to New York! Tiki was and to many is still, a lifestyle. Tiki is kitsch and cool at the same time. Tiki is fun!! No need to travel to Hawaii to feel that jolt of exotica.

Can't get a handle on the look? Search for Tiki on the internet and you'll see... The look is sleek and definitely retro, come dressed as a Tiki God, come dressed as a hula dancer, come dressed as a 60's jetsetter, every strata of society, from New York cool hipsters to suburban housewives were into Tiki. There is some truly great artwork from that era that will totally help put you in the mood and many Beach party movies from the 60s have Tiki influences in them. Look around, you'll be surprised as to how much Tiki inspiration you will find.

P.S. Although this is a pool party, expect an elegant cocktail affair.

I appreciate all the advice. I guess I was in a hurry to get a dress from the early 1960s, so I hoped the one I posted would work. I guess not???? Do you see the woman in the background behind Audrey Hepburn, where she's lighting her cigarette? That woman is wearing a shiny, more full-skirted dress, so I figured that full skirts were still "in" at the time. But I guess a full skirt was more or a day dress? I am so frustrated, because it is so hard to find something like this to wear and I really want a chance at winning the costume prizes! I have the idea of the look in my head, but I'm not a seamstress, so really frustrated here! Maybe I'll just wear a button down Hawaiian shirt and look like one of the guys!
Crystal

R

On 2006-10-11 15:30, lovebarbie wrote:
I hoped the one I posted would work. I guess not???? I am so frustrated, because it is so hard to find something like this to wear and I really want a chance at winning the costume prizes! I have the idea of the look in my head, but I'm not a seamstress, Maybe I'll just wear a button down Hawaiian shirt and look like one of the guys!

Don't do that! :o It is a lovely dress and it can be used nicely. I just thought like me and my wife you had a fair amount of vintage stuff around already. This dress has 2 things really going for it, 1st it is of the era (or close enuff), 2nd it is of a nice shade of purple lavender, an excellent Tropo/Tiki shade. Just spruce yourself up with a lei, a groovy doo, some flowers for your hair, accessorise! :) Tikibars is right check out the Hukilau pix. I think Bre-elle has definitely got it all down!

BTW with the letter they sent, it is no wonder you're confused! What a contradicting mess :roll:

[ Edited by: Rattiki 2006-10-11 17:11 ]

Thanks, Rattiki. I can see how one can really absorb themselves in this whole Tiki thing. I've learned a lot about the fashion, and only wish I would have started research a bit earlier. Maybe I could have found something in my size that would work. I will find a nice flower for my hair. I already had bought a bracelet that is like a lei with the flowers on it. Now I need a good one for my hair and maybe some nice jewelry. I like the sarong look and how Audrey wrapped that all the way around up to her neck, almost like a toga, LOL. I wish I could figure out how to do that. I appreciate all your advice.

How often do you go to Tiki parties, and where are they held? Are you in those pics? Who is the lovely woman? Thanks.
Crystal

A
Al-ii posted on Wed, Oct 11, 2006 8:29 PM

I just did an search for Hukilau, since it was mentioned above. I guess this is an annual Tiki convention? Cool.
Crystal

Ali-li, love the pics you posted. Thanks!

Hey Barbie,

Did you do an EBay search? Here is the one I use. It covers everything thing from the tight sarong Alfred Shaheen ($$) dresses to the more 60's casual Hawaiian luau dresses usually around $12 and up. I just bought a vintage two piece number for $11. You might want something a bit more fun than your nice blue dress. However, I'm sure it will work.

http://clothing.search.ebay.com/vintage-hawaiian_Clothing-Shoes-Accessories_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsacatZ11450

R

On 2006-10-11 19:27, lovebarbie wrote:
Thanks, Rattiki. I can see how one can really absorb themselves in this whole Tiki thing.

Why I don't have any idea what you mean.................

Veiw from my computer

Veiw at the foot of my bed

Veiw of Mrs. Rattiki

Another veiw of my wonderful wahine cheesecaking it up in her vintage one piece swimsuit before we take a dip in the pool :wink: Life in Key West maybe expensive, but it is still good! :D

[ Edited by: Rattiki 2006-10-12 17:49 ]

Thanks Tigerlily for the ebay link. I have tried several words for searching, including Hawaiian and vintage, but don't think I've used them together!

Ratiki, love your room! And you're so cute in the vintage swimsuit!
Crystal

The chicks just love a Van Heusen man.
They don't call me Papa for nuttin.....

Hey Buddy! My eyes are up here...

Found a couple things for the Tiki Party I posted about. A shirt for my husband (what do you think?), and a cute Tiki Hut Purse for me! I received that mauve dress in the mail today and I don't think it's that great now that I know what should be worn to a Tiki Party. Oh well... will have to figure something out.

G

On 2006-10-11 20:30, lovebarbie wrote:
I just did an search for Hukilau, since it was mentioned above. I guess this is an annual Tiki convention? Cool.
Crystal

Crystal,

Hukilau is a 4 day celebration of all things tiki. It is held once a year in Ft Lauderdale. Hundreds of people attend. The last one was just last weekend! Here's the web site. Sign up for the email list on that site to be kept informed of Hukilau news and if you look in the Tiki Events -> Other Events forum, you will find some recent message threads discussing Hukilau.

HOK

Anyone notice Don Beach with the large hat?

Personally if I was at this luau it would be the beauty in blue that would catch my eye and I KNOW I'm not alone on that one! :lol:), so you might want use her look for some inspiration as well :wink:

Crystal, you might also want to check out the designs of Alfred Shaheen who epitomized the hawaiian print sheath dress in the 50s and 60s:
http://www.alfredshaheen.com/vintageclothing&women.htm

As you can see on this page, there is also the possibility of wearing a cheong sam (chinese-style dress with mandarin collar) or a dressy chinese pantsuit with some mules. I've seen my fellow TC member HumuHumu pull off both these styles with great flair and elegance.

Not everyone can afford a custom-made or Shaheen original sheath dress, so an economic alternative is a sundress (hopefully cheaper than the one in this link) with a hawaiian print dressed up with a bit of jewelry, high-heels and a flower in the hair:
http://www.monstervintage.com/Vintage_Clothing/Hawaiian/1960_s_Hawaiian_Andrade_Sundress_Small_11861.html

BTW, the dress, whether sheath or sundress, should not be too tight as you do not want to look like a sausage. Dresses that are too tight look just as bad as a dress that is too large. Ideally, it should be well-fitted to your own measurements and sometimes one does get lucky with such a fit with vintage clothes if you are fairly proportionate. For the dress you have chosen, the bust measurement is most important. As long as that fits your measurement, then you can cinch the waist with the belt and you don't have to worry about the hips because the skirt is flared. If the bust is a little roomy, a padded bra is a simple solution to make the dress fit better.

Ultimately, I think your idea of dressing up your dress with appropriate jewelry and accessories is a good one. (And an economical one at this point.) Plus, as was mentioned earlier, the invite IS quite confusing. It sounds like almost any party/cocktail wear of the early 60s will do. I would go for a nice necklace, bracelet, your new purse, some high-heeled sandals and a flower in your hair.

As for make-up, pencil your eyebrows a bit, emphasizing any arch you may have, add a thin line of eyeliner on your top eyelid, close to your lashes (which can get thicker towards the outer corners for that "cat-eye" effect), subtle blush and perhaps a shade of pink lipstick to go with the mauve color of your dress. (Bright red lipstick was most popular in the 50s, but by the early 60s, pink was more the trend. You'll notice that Audrey Hepburn's lipstick was quite pale in "Tiffany's.") But you can always try both and see which is more flattering for the combination of your dress, hair and skin tone.

But most importantly of all, have a good time at the party as that would be the MOST Vintage-Tiki thing to do!

[ Edited by: vintagegirl 2006-10-16 01:18 ]

Hi Vintagegirl,
I really appreciate the time you took to write to me and to browse over what had been previously discussed. It is obvious you took into consideration all that I had posted prior to now. I really wish I would have found this forum a month ago to give me more time to find something appropriate. I guess I am obsessing about this too much, since I really was hoping to win the big prize at the party (a rare collectible). I also want to look appropriate to the theme, and now that I understand the look of the early 1960s and the Tiki Parties of that era, I really could have come up with something good had I started searching sooner.
Thank you for the links, some of those fashions at Monster Village are awesome for that time period. Being that the party is this weekend, and we are leaving for the convention Thursday morning, I guess I am stuck with what I have. I found a couple of floral tops that I have in the closet. I might just end up wearing that with my purse and a lei and flower in my hair just to follow theme a bit, but not worry about trying to impress for a prize. I don't really know if the pink dress I jumped and bought would by any better than a simple pull-over floral top??? What do you think of that dress, honestly? Is it anywhere near what someone would have worn to a party, or is it more of a day dress (like I Love Lucy, LOL)? I don't want to look frumpy or silly in that old dress, if it isn't right for a party. And then I have to worry about shoes that fit the early 1960s.... were the spikes for the most part, or were the heels wider? Ugghh! Just frustrated at myself for not making more time to come up with something better. I do think the little hut purse is cute, as I received it in the mail today. Should I wear that dress, or is it no different than any other dress I could wear, say a more modern dress with flowers on it? Be honest. Thanks!!!
Crystal

I think you should still use the vintage dress you bought. If it fits well, it will still be a very cute dress and it definitely has a vintage cut and will fit differently than a contemporary dress. It will also show more effort than the other people that might also pull a contemporary floral top out of their closet. (Unless you have one that looks very retro, of course.) Also keep in mind that not EVERY person at a Tiki party in the 50s or 60s would be wearing a floral or Hawaiian print. There's always exceptions. You might want to consider going as a 1960s Hawaiian tourist. Dress it up with some pumps, short gloves, jewelry, your tiki purse and a lei. If you have access to some 50s-looking cat-eye glasses or sunglasses, that would be even better. As if you just came off a tour bus that day and right into the party!

By the way, for the shoes, if you have any pumps or other high-heels that are not really wide on the heel, you might be okay. A spike heel would be great, but not all shoes of that era had spiked heels, but they were generally on the thinner side for evening. So before you go out and buy more stuff, just check your closet for something that doesn't have a really wide, blocky heel. Here's some samples of the shapes:

60s low stilettos:

50s suede pumps (that's just a rhinestone clip-on, on the toe):

50s pumps with wider heel:

The shoes don't have to be black or close-toed. Those are just the only photo samples I had to show heel shapes. I really hope this helps a little, but regardless, just do what you can realistically do and then don't worry about it. Sometimes it's just as much fun to see what others wear as putting together your own outfit. So once you get there, just have a Mai Tai and have a great time!

[ Edited by: vintagegirl 2006-10-17 01:46 ]

S

Well vintagegirl obviously knows what she's talking about but, even if she hadn't already said it, I agree; go with the dress you already got. I think it looks awesome. With the cool accessories, you still might win !

Saxotica,
Thanks for your input! Yes, vintagegirl, you do sure know your fashions and appropriate attire for that era!
Crystal

R

On 2006-10-17 08:39, saxotica wrote:
Well vintagegirl obviously knows what she's talking about but, even if she hadn't already said it, I agree; go with the dress you already got. I think it looks awesome. With the cool accessories, you still might win !

See I told you that before:

On 2006-10-11 17:10, Rattiki wrote:
Don't do that! :o It is a lovely dress and it can be used nicely. This dress has 2 things really going for it, 1st it is of the era (or close enuff), 2nd it is of a nice shade of purple lavender, an excellent Tropo/Tiki shade. Just spruce yourself up with a lei, a groovy hair-doo, some flowers for your hair,the right jewelery (a pineapple broach and clip earrings?) and some well placed flowers accessorise and you'll look divine! :).....Remember details will help make the look come together. A swank hairstyle and/or make up with heavier eyeliner and red lipstick which was used so much back then will make a big difference.

But I guess you needed to hear that from the girls, 'cus I'm just a guy, so what do I know......:P :lol:

[ Edited by: Rattiki 2006-10-17 17:06 ]

Rattiki,
No it wasn't that you were a guy. It was more how you were explaining the type of girl (in that photo) that you'd go for! Then you went on to explain the kind of outfits or dresses that would work, so I wasn't sure if you liked the mauve dress, or if you were just trying to be nice by saying it was OK to wear! I am going to try to go for it.

I will take photos of this Tiki Party so I can let you guys see the costumes. Won't be able to post them until early next week though. Stay tuned....

Thanks for all your advice!

Pages: 1 29 replies