Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tragedies in Tiki Fashion

Pages: 1 2 88 replies

T

Friends, I have to speak to you about an abomination against tikidom that I have with increasing frequency at events, even one as posh as Hukilau. Something so awful I'm forced to speak out against it publicly. I refer, of course, to the Tragedy of the Tevas.

Teva Hurricane II $40

So horrifically plastic and NYLON! With Velcro! And what are those patterns? "Native American"? Who knows? All I know is that many a charmingly breezy tiki outfit (linen pants/khaki shorts/aloha shirt) is brought low by the black, clunky albatross of footwear.

Obviously the flip flop or thong (as we called them in the OC) is the preferred footwear for tropiholics. So casual, so effortless, so beach bum!

Cobian Lone Star $42

Reef Tatami Bahami $40

But I will grudgingly - grudgingly!- acquiesce that some people need "comfortable" shoes. (Though, if I may say, the amount of drinking that gets done at events should really eliminate the need for you to even feel your feet). So, fine, you want comfort, there are a variety of attractive walking sandals available!

Old Maui Brand Surf $45

Teva makes nicer shoes! Teva Maceo Cork $60

At this point, I think EVEN Birks would be a better choice!

Birkenstock Arizona $100

I'm begging you all, toss out your Tevas! Embrace the world of natural fibers! Let us not even discuss Crocs. The first time I see those at a tiki event, I will not be responsible for my actions. You've all been warned.

Uh aren't Birkenstocks kinda hippy(ish)??

Jeff(bigtikidude)

RAINBOWS are the way to go :)

Rainbow Sandals Outlet
326 Calle de Los Molinos
San Clemente, Ca
(949)492-4930

N
T

Jeff that is exactly my point! EVEN hippie garb is better than Teva.

Those Sketchers are dead cute. They remind me of those tire sandals you used to get(probably still can) in TJ!

S

Amen! Down with Tevas!

barefoot is the ultimate tiki footwear.

Guilty...

I hang my head in shame...

I carefully select my ensemble, coordinating the vintage jewelry with a classic barkcloth dress, top it off with my notorious hat, and then...and then...I wear Tevas. I always assumed that nobody would notice.

OK, I've learned my lesson, and now I have a good excuse to go buy new sandals!

R

Wear sandals to an event such as Hukilau, and TEVAS?! :o Tevas are for postmodern, Gen-X, Lonely Planet backpacking, style challenged, clueless kids! :roll: Even Thongs/Flip-flops are fine only to and from a beach party, but on a Tropical Night out, ESPECIALLY to a grand event such as Hukilau, for the Ladies MINIMALLY it should be a pair of wedges with a Hawaiian/Tropo and/or Sarong style dress (if not a proper pair of PUMPS!), and for the Gents MINIMALLY a good, CLEAN pair of quality leather boat shoes, better yet a pair of fine lounge-lizard loafers. Personally I have a pair of two tone, cobra skin, custom made loafers to wear with one of my vintage style Hawaiian shirt (and pressed slacks) just for such occasions. :D

You know I'm thinking TikiCentral maybe badly in need of a Tiki/Tropo Style and Fashion Forum! :wink:

I hate to post this..cause I KNOW I will be SCATHINGLY slammed for saying this--but iREALLY think there are some things that are taken just a WEE bit too seriously here...TEVA HATING being one of them---how do you guys feel about those savuk ASTRO TURF sandals I sport while I'm carving?

I think what really has happened is that there is a cross hobby situation. Often the owners of Teva products are walkers or hikers, lets say forest people. I've tried Teva. Boy, oh boy, do they suck. Can you say "sweaty and slippery surface"? That may be a personal problem.

Hey! I'm a hippy. I wear Birks.

Yes, the most fashionable thing is to be barefooted. Or wrap your feet in banana leaves. Not palm, that will cut your feet.

The tire sandals your refer to are huaraches ( wa' raches ).

And down here in SD the life gaurds call them "slaps". Thongs are NOT worn on the feet unless they are to be flung by the "dainty" big toe of a wahine.

On 2006-10-13 14:24, bb moondog wrote:
I hate to post this..cause I KNOW I will be SCATHINGLY slammed for saying this--but iREALLY think there are some things that are taken just a WEE bit too seriously here...TEVA HATING being one of them---how do you guys feel about those savuk ASTRO TURF sandals I sport while I'm carving?

And here I thought the thread was just horsing around to be funny.

H

Shoes have got to be the trickiest part of dressing for Tiki soirees. The styles (especially the colors) have changed so much, and vintage footwear tends to be a little, well, gross. I've been lucky to find a few pairs of colorful heels over the years that pair with my dresses pretty well, but I still find myself scrambling and fudging it quite a bit.

If it's any consolation, I seem to be very scattershot with my noticing of others' footwear. I do tend to notice when someone's wearing great shoes, but for some reason I don't pick up on it when someone's wearing incongruous shoes. Go figure.

I am a guy. I think that I know fashion. And I now that I look goooood in any combonation of the huate coture below.

R

On 2006-10-13 18:11, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
I am a guy. I think that I know fashion. And I now that I look goooood in any combonation of the huate coture below.

All I can say is a big SLAP-SLAP-SLAP to ya face for the converse and combat boots! :P

On 2006-10-13 14:24, bb moondog wrote:

On 2006-10-13 16:01, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
I think what really has happened is that there is a cross hobby situation. Often the owners of Teva products are walkers or hikers, lets say forest people.

The whole point of this is that Tevas were worn at a nice party in a beautiful restaurant, not hiking, not carving, not milling around at the beach, but in an elegant surrounding at a fairly fancy party. Clothing is like food, sometimes what you eat and how and why you eat it is merely functional, easy, comfortably. Then there is DINING where to consume is more than just a needed function or a matter of comfort or convenience, no it is a reflection of art, style, grace, culture and class. It is done out of the sheer elegance, grandeur and enjoyment that we can, and should want to occasional experience in life. It's NOT just a plate of fries and a pair of old sneakers! :roll:

R

On 2006-10-13 16:55, Humuhumu wrote:
Shoes have got to be the trickiest part of dressing for Tiki soirees. The styles (especially the colors) have changed so much, and vintage footwear tends to be a little, well, gross. I've been lucky to find a few pairs of colorful heels over the years that pair with my dresses pretty well, but I still find myself scrambling and fudging it quite a bit.

"vintage footwear tends to be a little, well, gross"

I'm kind of surprised by this statement coming from you as from the party pix I've seen here of you here on TC, you tend to be quite stylishly dressed. Maybe clompy 1940's heels are a bit gross, but IMHO Rat-Pack era classic pumps are boss, maybe tortously uncomfortable for the wearer, but they look AWESOME! :D

THIS SHOE RULES! :wink:

you can't go wrong with vans slipons! i have over 100 pairs, but these are my favorites with aloha wear.

H

I should have been more clear -- the vintage styles I think are gorgeous, and I'm happy to see some of the lines coming back in modern shoes. What's a bit gross are the actual vintage shoes themselves -- 50-year-old shoes that are in good condition are relatively hard to come by, what you tend to find are shoes that bear ample evidence of being occupied by someone else's feet. I do have a few pairs of vintage shoes that are in great shape, but not ones that match my aloha wear.

The whole point of this is that Tevas were worn at a nice party in a beautiful restaurant, elegant surrounding at a fairly fancy party. Then there is DINING where to consume is more than just a needed function or a matter of comfort or convenience, no it is a reflection of art, style, grace, culture and class. It is done out of the sheer elegance, grandeur and enjoyment that we can, and should want to occasional experience in life. It's NOT just a plate of fries and a pair of old sneakers! :roll:

When one puts on aires they are trying to be something they are not. They are trying to gain other's approval for personal benefit. That personal benefit is self-esteem. In which case many people need a greater self-esteem.
Me, mine is great. I would want to be comfy while [I]dining[/]. Not worrying about how others view me.
I am perfectly happy enjoying a $200 meal with my wife in my old sneakers. I know the guy serving me doesn't care. He's just trying to work that $50 tip to $60.

Style, grace, culture and class is NOT pointing out that others may not have it. Either by birth, finance or intelect.

I do conform on occasion. I can rock the Brooks Bros and purple Docs and no one says a thing....., until I leave the room of course.:)

When one is relaxed in mind and body others will also be relaxed. Or aspire to be so. Or upset because they don't know how to be. Or disappointed that they are not allowed.
When one is not relaxed (uptight/constricted/restricted) then one is unhealthy.

I wish everyone to be healthy.

Dressing appropriately is also a way of showing respect and appreciation for the other people around you. Many people who come to an elegant or themed event want to immerse themselves in that atmosphere. When you dress for the occasion you are making a contribution, not only for yourself, but for the other participants.

[ Edited by: ookoo lady 2006-10-14 10:16 ]

HL

I had found these for my blog earlier this year. Not exactly Mai-Kai quality footwear, but great for the other events (although my thongs tend to go flying off when dancing).

Men's Tiki King shoes

I'd like to state up front that this is all being said in the most friendly tone.
Having said that first, I too am guilty of owning Tevas, and I am neither stupid nor trying to be a Lonely Planet backpacker. I agree that they may not be the nicest looking sandals, but I'm a marine biologist, and Tevas are good for tidepooling. You ever wear flip-flops to the tide pools and slip? I have. It hurts. For the several years that I've been wearing Teva sandals to the beach, I've not slipped yet (knock on wood). Almost broke my neck in a pair of old shoes, though. :) Give me Tevas any day.
I was on Maui a few years at the Haleakala national park. You know where the Seven Sacred Pools are? At least that's what the tourists call them. Well, here's a shot I got from the areas you can access without clambering over rocks. Notice the bridge at the very top of the shot, where the road is. We're pretty far away right now.

Now, that's a nice picture, but I wanted to climb up to where the people are at like 3 pools up. It's practically impossible in sandals. I did it, but I was wearing Tevas. My wife opted to stay down below because she was wearing flip flops. Here's what I saw:

You can't really see the bridge anymore because the plants obscure it. I actually climbed farther over, and got behind the waterfall:

Wouldn't have been possible in flip flops. Period.
I also wear Tevas when I go diving. You ever schlep dive gear up a steep hill in flip flops? No thanks. :(
Okay, so Tevas are great for some things. So why do I only own Teva sandals, why not buy a nice pair of something for when I go out? Why? I'm a cheapskate. :) I have no shame admitting it. I buy my white T-shirts at Costco and my jeans at Walmart. They're just as good and comfortable as any overpriced name brand. Why pay all kinds of money for clothes that aren't any better than cheap ones?

I understand the sentiment about wearing some nicer shoes when one goes to a nice dinner event. At an event, I wouldn't wear sandals. At a wedding, sandals aren't appropriate no matter what kind of wedding it is. On the beach wedding, find yourself a pair of loafers or something. If it's an event where sandals are appropriate for guys, then who cares? Sometimes it isn't about style, or not having a clue. I've seen the tiki sandals and didn't want to cough up $40 for them. Would I rather have a nice pair of sandals so that you'll think I'm cool for the 5 minutes you see me, or would I rather have the Munktiki mug produced for Tiki Oasis? I got the mug so that I can look at it and remember what a great time I had at Oasis talking to people who didn't care what I was wearing. :)
I'm not trying to be a beacon of style, I want to be comfortable. And I want something that I can wear in a variety of situations, not just to the beach, or not just to a dinner event. Tevas fit that bill for me, and they have for several years.
Sorry if I came across a bit blunt. I'm not trying to put anyone down or whatever. My main point is that Tevas are useful, and they do serve a purpose. They're very good all purpose sandals.

On 2006-10-14 10:55, Hot Lava wrote:
I had found these for my blog earlier this year. Not exactly Mai-Kai quality footwear, but great for the other events (although my thongs tend to go flying off when dancing).

Men's Tiki King shoes

Ugh. I was going to buy a pair of these. But found it they are made by a company called 'Margaritaville'.

I suddenly had 'Blew out my flip-flop, stepped on a pop-top...' stuck in my head. Now I have to innoculate myself by listening to some Arthur Lyman. :)

Wow! kingstiedye! Those Vans are the best but I can't find the one on the far right of your pic on their website. Do you know if they still make that style? Or if it has a special name?

On 2006-10-13 14:11, Rattiki wrote:
Wear sandals to an event such as Hukilau, and TEVAS?!

I couldn't agree with you more. Especially in this post-hippie world we live in, there are soooo many opportunities to dress down. Hell, even office jobs are becoming dress down...and the Good Ole days of dressing up to go to the pictures or to Dine out is (sadly) long gone.
But to dress down for Hukilau?? I thought Tiki events were all about "dressing up"? A great time to sport those rare E bay/ vintage purchases which would otherwise be percieved as "wierd" at BBQ's or other day to day events.

Let's turn the tide on the "berkeley-fication" of style folks! Turn on AMC, see how amazing it looked!

On 2006-10-14 12:12, The Granite Tiki wrote:
Wow! kingstiedye! Those Vans are the best but I can't find the one on the far right of your pic on their website. Do you know if they still make that style? Or if it has a special name?

they're called fat weave. they are from the vans vault series. only sold in a few stores and not on the internet in the us. here's a link to zebra club in germany that still has some. i've ordered from them before with no problems.
http://www.zebraclub.de/branditem/1327
there are also some sk8 hi's made with the fat weave:
http://www.one40fivestore.com./store2.php?style=vault_fat_weave_sk8_hi&type=4&category=10&list=0&brand=87
i've also ordered from one40five before, no prob.

Thanks for info!

R

On 2006-10-14 11:29, TikiJosh wrote:
I too am guilty of owning Tevas, and I am neither stupid nor trying to be a Lonely Planet backpacker. I agree that they may not be the nicest looking sandals, but I'm a marine biologist, and Tevas are good for tidepooling.

So why do I only own Teva sandals, why not buy a nice pair of something for when I go out? Why? I'm a cheapskate. :) I have no shame admitting it. I buy my white T-shirts at Costco and my jeans at Walmart. They're just as good and comfortable as any overpriced name brand. Why pay all kinds of money for clothes that aren't any better than cheap ones?

I understand the sentiment about wearing some nicer shoes when one goes to a nice dinner event. At an event, I wouldn't wear sandals. At a wedding, sandals aren't appropriate no matter what kind of wedding it is. On the beach wedding, find yourself a pair of loafers or something. If it's an event where sandals are appropriate for guys, then who cares?

I'm not trying to be a beacon of style, I want to be comfortable.

Nothing wrong with Tevas for the activities you mentioned. Nothing wrong with buying cheaper clothes or being comfortable, BUT as you said "At a wedding, sandals aren't appropriate no matter what kind of wedding it is" and that is how many feel about Hukilau, they feel it is NOT "an event where sandals are appropriate for guys". So "find yourself a pair of loafers or something" that is appropriate. Personally I have never paid more that $40 for a pair of shoes, slacks, a shirt or a jacket, you just have to know where to buy. :wink:

R

When one puts on aires they are trying to be something they are not. They are trying to gain other's approval for personal benefit. That personal benefit is self-esteem. In which case many people need a greater self-esteem.
Me, mine is great. I would want to be comfy while [I]dining[/]. Not worrying about how others view me.
I am perfectly happy enjoying a $200 meal with my wife in my old sneakers. I know the guy serving me doesn't care. He's just trying to work that $50 tip to $60.

Style, grace, culture and class is NOT pointing out that others may not have it. Either by birth, finance or intelect.

I do conform on occasion. I can rock the Brooks Bros and purple Docs and no one says a thing....., until I leave the room of course.:)

When one is relaxed in mind and body others will also be relaxed. Or aspire to be so. Or upset because they don't know how to be. Or disappointed that they are not allowed.
When one is not relaxed (uptight/constricted/restricted) then one is unhealthy.

Now to you Sir because I find the above pretty personally insulting....

You know the problem is that many Americans now a days feel that if someone points their finger and says that something is a social faux pax, that to say that is a form of self gratifying snobbery (with all the things that go with that), but it's not. To me this is about appreciation, dignity, quality of/in life and respect. It is about an understanding that proper personally presentation and etiquette is a way of showing appreciation and respect for the grandeur, greatness and importance of a person, place or an occasion.

Now believe me, I too am a product of the postmodern baby-boomer generation (half raised by hippies in Key West) and at one time I too lived out of jeans, sneaks and t-shirts and I was able to justify it to myself. With growing older and after many years of travel and living in many parts of the world (especially the old world) I have come to understand and appreciate the importance of personal presentation and the respect and dignity it can bestow (also my self-esteem is just fine thank you, and I put on aires for NO one) but there is a difference between snobbery and knowing when there is a general lack of effort and respect in our society (or ignorance) for the social graces in our post-modern, western culture. Certain values have been long lost with the "new generation", quite often in the name of free, "open minded thinking" or being "relaxed in mind and body".
:roll: Jeez, I can almost smell the stench of patchouli :P :roll:

So many may dress in sneaks and a T-shirt to go to a classy restaurant were the staff and owners have worked so hard to create and maintain a high standard of service and quality and feel it is OK because they believe that the all mighty $ is what matters. I know they'll not get into a highly rated Michelin restaurant in France, or to see the King of Thailand's Palace in Tevas. Many places have dress codes and for good reason! They'll even wear jeans and sandals to a wedding or a funeral or Christmas Mass when they can afford not to and should have dressed appropriately to pay the occasion it's due respect. That is their choice but I choose to go AGAINST the modern politically correct grain and say I feel it is wrong. When a society feels it is OK to do as they want without the due appreciation and respect for the accomplishments of others or the importance of a place or event, this lacks dignity, and I believe this is a sign that that society is "unhealthy".

Bottom line is that someone pointed out that they felt wearing a Tevas sports sandal to the Hukilau soiree' was in bad form (NOT hiking on the beach). I doubt it was meant as a personal slight to anyone but to help inform, no different from advise on drink mixing or tiki carving (if someone served Mai Tais w/ pineapple juice I bet it would get a mention too! :o). If you want to look the fool in Brooks Bros and purple Docs then be the fool, and yes they do talk when you leave.....and so they should :P :roll:

So Ladies get some lil' white gloves and Gents find yourself a decent hat 'cause the AMC ways are BACK! :wink:

G

I don't want to be judgmental or snooty about someone's choice of footwear, but I will say that my wife and I were somewhat disappointed by the lack of formality with the way MANY people were dressed on Saturday night at the Mai-Kai. We saw jeans and shorts everywhere. Normally, I'm an extremely casual person who hates to dress up, but this was different. This is the Mai-Kai. On their 50th anniversary. It was a special night. To see so many jeans and shorts really detracted from this special night. I say this not to be judgmental in any way, but I think it's important to dress for the occasion. If not for yourself, then for others. And for an occasion like this, it's more important than being comfortable. I think it would be quite appropriate for the Hukilau organizers to request that the attire on Saturday night be "aloha formal". It's my understanding that once upon a time, the Mai-Kai required all men to wear jackets and ties. It wouldn't be such a bad thing to bring that kind of standard back.

G

On 2006-10-14 16:08, Rattiki wrote:
To me this is about appreciation, dignity, quality of/in life and respect. It is about an understanding that proper personally presentation and etiquette is a way of showing appreciation and respect for the grandeur, greatness and importance of a person, place or an occasion.

Hear hear! Rattiki, your post came in while I was composing mine and I just wanted to say that I agree completely with you. Well said.

On 2006-10-14 16:08, Rattiki wrote:

I choose to go AGAINST the modern politically correct grain and say I feel it is wrong. When a society feels it is OK to do as they want without the due appreciation and respect for the accomplishments of others or the importance of a place or event, this lacks dignity, and I believe this is a sign that that society is "unhealthy".

You took the words right out of my mouth. You rock baby!!

I once heard a talking head refer to the '50's as "unsophisticated" Are they kidding? Glad to hear you say the "AMC days" are back. It's long overdue, but unfortunately, I feel we have a looooong way to go.

Although I must say, I have been noticing that the young generation is starting to turn their back on the rap "culture" and starting to embrace the finer aesthetics of Lounge and Rat Pack culture. I catered an 18 yr old party, and was surprised, beyond belief, to hear Sinatra and Dino on the stereo and see snazzy Audrey Hepburn - like gals in the mix.

There's hope, yet!!

:roll: Jeez, I can almost smell the stench of patchouli :P :roll:

Well, Now I am bummed that you feel insulted. I didn't think that I could ever really insult anyone personally. (it has happened though) This is sad. If I wanted to insult someone I would hold my tongue.

Internet forums are a tough place for me to have an intilectual conversation. (it is a bit lacking). Even face to face for that matter. I think there has got to be a million places on the net for me to insult someone. Unintentionally.

I suppose that I was insulted (not really) that one pair of sandals was more disrespectful over another. I really thought that one's tiki appearance would have not really mattered at a tiki event (the Hukilau; Mai Kai 50th) I suppose I would have looked like a fool in a tuxedo with tails as it was not the opera or I was not the emcee at the circus. I'd prefer being the emcee.:wink: For that matter, the clown.

I did not say that I would be disrespectful by any means. I have been to weddings in sandals with rainbow socks wearing a suit. The great/grandparents and brides & grooms have always loved it. Stange/estranged aunts and uncles and siblings usually don't like it. People that know me, either personal or business, would be more dissappointed if I did NOT buck the system rather than conform.

There are times to teach (obviously this is one of them) and times to relax (tiki).
Teaching one to make a proper mai tai is NOT the same as teaching rules of etiquette
for a formal function. I don't think that a soiree is a formal function. Even a tiki event.

On a side not, I am watching Columbo right now. He just got shewed out of a fancy restaurant.:)

Should we meet, I am sure that you would consider me the lower end of the hoi polloi.

I'll play the fool and you can play the gallant knight.

I am very sorry that you were offended and insulted.
If anyone is ever insulted by something I say, please don't be. I do not mean to.
I think I'll get my very first Jimmy Buffet CD tomorrow. The whole catalogue maybe?

Time for Chinese.

R

fool (plural: fools)

1. (pejorative) A person with poor judgment or little intelligence.
  2. A jester, a person whose role was to entertain a sovereign and the court.
  3. A type of dessert made of puréed fruit and custard or cream.

Take your choice. I like #3 :wink:

On 2006-10-14 19:20, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

Well, Now I am bummed that you feel insulted. I didn't think that I could ever really insult anyone personally.

I may be arrogant and obstinate but I'm not illiterate.
:looking you in the eye smugly arms crossed:

I really thought that one's tiki appearance would have not really mattered at a tiki event (the Hukilau; Mai Kai 50th)

You thought wrong.

I suppose I would have looked like a fool in a tuxedo with tails as it was not the opera or I was not the emcee at the circus.

You would have been over dressed. :wink:

I'd prefer being the emcee.:wink: For that matter, the clown.
I have been to weddings in sandals with rainbow socks wearing a suit. The great/grandparents and brides & grooms have always loved it. Stange/estranged aunts and uncles and siblings usually don't like it. People that know me, either personal or business, would be more dissappointed if I did NOT buck the system rather than conform.

And I too am bucking the system by taking for what is for some an unpopular stance risking the chance of being referred to as a patronizing snob......as if I care! :lol:

Teaching one to make a proper mai tai is NOT the same as teaching rules of etiquette for a formal function.

Yes your right, the latter is more important. One is a drink recipe, the other is a recipe for civility. There was a time when there were whole schools of learning dedicted to the endevour of proper etiquette. It is time that some of these values return to our culture.

I don't think that a soiree is a formal function. Even a tiki event.

Sometimes it is, and in this case it was.

Should we meet, I am sure that you would consider me the lower end of the hoi polloi.

Very doubtful you seem to be a man of integrity, just a bad dresser by choice. :wink:

I think I'll get my very first Jimmy Buffet CD tomorrow. The whole catalogue maybe?

He used to be my neighbor, but he's still not Tiki. :D

Truth is that just because I believe sandals do not formal wear make, does not mean I am an up tight ass or unable to have fun and make fun of myself or play the public fool either. But I do believe the time has come for this generation to realize that formality DOES have function and is a important part of civility and our civilzations. To me the new social rebellion is to look and act classy when ever possible (this does NOT equate boring or stuffy) let the Gen X & Y crowd wallow in their tawdry vulgarity with their pants around there knees, their underpants up their bottoms and their mouths spewing profanity. :roll: I have chosen to rebel in a new way, 'shooting white' and lookin' sharp!

Of course to a wedding I would wear a proper tux :D

Friday are Bowling Shirt and Fez Nights for me! :D

[ Edited by: Rattiki 2006-10-15 15:19 ]

I've seen stupid threads here, but this one takes the cake.
For the people who are so appalled with others' attire at Hukilau, especially in question seems to be the anniversary party for the Mai Kai, post a pic or two of what you fashioned that evening. It might help to support your ideal.
XXXOOOIvy

On 2006-10-14 22:10, PoisonIvy wrote:

Here we go. Someone who has no interest in the subject feels compelled to insult the people who do.

There are thousands of threads on Tiki Central. Maybe you can find one where you can make an actual contribution.

this one takes the cake.

alright, ignore the pie :D

Agreed. Not sure if I was Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor.
You should see us go at it on the mountain bike forums.

It is just a bunch of monkeys swinging their tikis at each other.

EDIT: What is that commercial with the monkey that replies "monkeys in pants?" Ahh, that cracks me up, talking monkeys are so funny.

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-10-15 08:56 ]

T

Sandals, what man cares what other men wear on their feet. Freedom baby freedom. One sandal over another is just personal preference.

The sandal that first started this thread off is not made of "natural" materials. Thats tiki right there for you. Tiki is a faux of the Pacific and better.

Tiki doesn't fit into the norm of society but if we want to start looking at footwear, why not have it were your hair has to be styled a certain way and men's facial hair trimmed just so. Maybe everyone could drop a few pounds to just before the event, that not asking to much.

If I took my girlfriend and father to one of these events, I'm into the whole culture,(maybe not whole) but they aren't. They would be coming for me and would probably not be dressed at all. Sad to think that the next event that I went to I would have to think in the back of my mind that I'm being judged and I'm inappropriate. I won't go to a place like that.

A thread like this is fine. we have covered the last 50 years of tiki in just a few years and need interesting new topic to cover. But its just personal preference. I'll never catch me in a purple lounge shirt or a shiny red blazer.

I

About 10 years ago, while in Graduate School, one of the students said that her first judgement, when meeting a person for the first time, was often based on what type of shoes that person wore. It would make a big difference to her on whether the shoes were polished or not. I was quite surprised, as I had never heard this statement before, and surprised that someone would admit to it. I was even more surprised when some of the other students nodded their heads, and said that they also judged people by the shoes they wore.

I felt the above was somewhat of a class statement, as this was a somewhat expensive university, and I am sure several of the students regularly bought the higher-end fashion magazines, and were able to afford the latest fashions. That is fine, but they have to remember that other students may not be able to afford both good fashion and the high tuition .... and in their case, the tuition is more important.

Two years ago, while at work, a co-worker came up to me, and mentioned that he kept a can of shoe polish in his desk, and that I was welcome to borrow it if I needed to. I kind of laughed at this - my shoes were not flithy, just not as sharply polished as he deemed necessary. This guy was an ex-Marine, so that explained some it.

I did admire the people who dressed nicely for the recent Hukilau Mai Kai event, as they greatly added to the visual pleasures of the evening. But I didn't look down on those who were not dressed as formally. I was impressed that all of the people deemed the event worthy to attend, and many used valuable vacation time and money for airfare/hotels/other trip expenses. They made the choice to attend this event, and that is what should be deemed most important.

As a counterpoint to the shoe argument, the following is a link to an on-line book, titled 'The Barefoot Hiker' I present this to remind us that there are many pleasures that can be gained by wearing no shoewear at all, and that by going barefoot one gains a betters sense for the real feel of one's environment. Go native! http://members.aol.com/bhthom/hikertxt.htm

Vern

Seriously? I thought the point of this topic was that a lot of women find Teva sandals ugly on men. Or that it was a satirical statement on men's footwear. Personally, I thought it was funny. Oh, chicks dig men in flip flops... grrowlll!

[ Edited by: stuff-o-rama 2006-10-15 13:17 ]

On 2006-10-13 20:10, kingstiedye wrote:
you can't go wrong with vans slipons! i have over 100 pairs, but these are my favorites with aloha wear.

right on! You'll take my jeff spicoli checkerboard slipons from my cold dead feet!

grin

R

The ones on the right would certainly be very nice if you were wearing colorful Hawaiian style garb and would be quite fitting for a event such as Hukilau. The other two in tandum with that would be a bit much, but certainly very cool footwear to wear with T-shirt and cut-offs to the beach or just bumming around in. :wink:

On 2006-10-15 15:13, Rattiki wrote:

The ones on the right would certainly be very nice if you were wearing colorful Hawaiian style garb and would be quite fitting for a event such as Hukilau. The other two in tandum with that would be a bit much, but certainly very cool footwear to wear with T-shirt and cut-offs to the beach or just bumming around in. :wink:

i think the 2 aloha prints go best with a bright aloha shirt and plaid shorts! :D

R

On 2006-10-15 15:20, kingstiedye wrote:
i think the 2 aloha prints go best with a bright aloha shirt and plaid shorts! :D

:lol: That's why the fashion police have a warrant out for your arrest and capture! :lol:

T

Book'em

R

On 2006-10-15 09:00, teaKEY wrote:
Sandals, what man cares what other men wear on their feet. Freedom baby freedom. One sandal over another is just personal preference.

Tiki doesn't fit into the norm of society but if we want to start looking at footwear, why not have it were your hair has to be styled a certain way and men's facial hair trimmed just so. Maybe everyone could drop a few pounds to just before the event, that not asking to much.

Well I am sure that many ladies went and had there hair done nicely for the event. It's not that it is styled in a certain way, but that it is styled at all. Being well kept is very different from being expected to conform to a certain style (within reason). I have facial hair but I certainly would have shaved around what's not already established for such an event, and not come with a 3 day growth....gee I hope no one did that :o People should stop trying to justify sloppiness or a lack of caring by trying to make out the idea of an acceptable level of standard as a ridge conformist code.
Freedom is not always everything. :roll:

If I took my girlfriend and father to one of these events, I'm into the whole culture,(maybe not whole) but they aren't. They would be coming for me and would probably not be dressed at all. Sad to think that the next event that I went to I would have to think in the back of my mind that I'm being judged and I'm inappropriate. I won't go to a place like that.

I'm sure they would at least know to wear proper attire to dine at a nice supper club like the Mai Kai. :wink: Style is not the issue here, never was, a reasonable amount of decorum is the issue.......

Sometimes I have to point this out to my passengers when they wish to go to one of our fine restaurants here in Key West...."No Sir I don't think that Louie's Backyard or Square One will let you in tonight in a pair of flip-flops and a T-shirt" :roll:

I'll never catch me in a purple lounge shirt or a shiny red blazer.

That's 'cuz you couldn't pull it off like me! :wink: :lol: :o

I have more conservative dress clothes (white dinner jacket, black tux, classic more subdued Hawaiians) I posted that to make a point that style is not the real issue, and one can be fun as well as well dressed. I don't think anyone here said "It was terrible that I saw folks wearing flowery prints with other loud prints".....though maybe they should have :o :lol:

Meanwhile sandals of ANY sort should not be worn to the Mai Kai after dark on ANY night by the gents IMO.....ladies might get away with a wedge version :P

What amazes me is that the Mai Kai doesn't enforce such a dress code! :o

[ Edited by: Rattiki 2006-10-15 18:04 ]

R

On 2006-10-15 09:59, ikitnrev wrote:
About 10 years ago, while in Graduate School, one of the students said that her first judgement, when meeting a person for the first time, was often based on what type of shoes that person wore.

I felt the above was somewhat of a class statement, ...but they have to remember that other students may not be able to afford both good fashion and the high tuition .... and in their case, the tuition is more important.

Well kept, decent shoes don't have to be expensive, but I am sure they could afford their ankle tattoo :roll: :lol:

In 1990 I noticed a very different attitude when I went to live in Europe, even in a free thinking place like Amsterdam (never the less ridged Sweden, Germany or even London) people could be very conscientious of what they, and other's wore and what it meant, and yes you could also be judged for it. My American, post 70's hippy mind did not like it at first and thought it was pretentious and unnecessary. I remember trying to get into a fancy hotel in London to see my Dad who was staying there and the doorman didn't want to let me in because I was wearing jeans, a T-shirt and a leather jacket (with all my HeavyMetal 80's long hair - rockin on Dude! :lol: ). I thought "How dare he! I could be a rich rock star that makes alot of money, maaaaan, how would he know, maaan". He didn't know, and he didn't care......nor should he have! It was one of his jobs to keep up the standards of this elegant, classic old hotel, and he took pride in it. I was told I could visit my Father, but could not dine at the restaurant or even drink at the bar without a proper shirt and jacket. I am sure at the time I was annoyed, but now 15 years later I understand. :wink:

On 2006-10-15 09:59, ikitnrev wrote:
I did admire the people who dressed nicely for the recent Hukilau Mai Kai event, as they greatly added to the visual pleasures of the evening. But I didn't look down on those who were not dressed as formally. I was impressed that all of the people deemed the event worthy to attend, and many used valuable vacation time and money for airfare/hotels/other trip expenses. They made the choice to attend this event, and that is what should be deemed most important.

It IS most important (and I wish I could have afforded to be one of them), and I hope this thread doesn't end up being viewed as an exercize in a few looking down their noses at those who did not or can not, but that it might enlighten a few who may not of even really considered it.

My appreciation of most things mid 20th century, including but NOT exclusive to Tiki, has given me a better understanding of what was REALLY going on in that era. Most of us Baby-boomers and beyond have been duped into believing that a great and all positive change occurred in the late 60's and early 70's 'counter-culture revolution' that freed the American society from it's chauvinistic, uptight, backward, ridge roots. That life now is so much better now that we can all do as we please, whenever we please, and as much as we please.................Personally I think we should reconsider all of this and realize that we may have 'thrown the baby out with the bath water'. :wink:

[ Edited by: Rattiki 2006-10-18 16:02 ]

Pages: 1 2 88 replies