Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Monkey sculpt finished. *_* Page 2 *_*

Pages: 1 23 replies

Found some flat tiki reliefs from a couple of years back when I was learning how to make plaster push molds. Thought they would look neat as Christmas ornaments. They range from 3 inches tall.

TaintedTiki.com

[ Edited by: yumyumkid 2006-12-07 17:07 ]

Those look great! What a good idea. We have a tiki Christmas tree every year in our tiki room. I decoupaged some ornaments using photos taken of various tiki bars we've been to. Used cocktail umbrellas also work well--just stick them directly into the tree anywhere you need to fill some space.

I think I'm going to borrow your idea!

M

Those are Great! what's a plaster push mold?

D

hey yumyum! wondered where you went ~ you made the nifty hand-poked mugs, then hadnt heard from you in a while..nifty ornaments!

Very cool ornaments!!!!! I would definitely put those on my Christmas tree!!!!!

Yeah Dogbytes, I've been a little lazy. :P A press or push mold is a one piece mold usually used to make flat 3D type objects. I have no clue where the molds are for the ornaments that are shown above. Here are the step by step pics of using a push mold. The mold in the pics are for the newer ornaments that we are working on now.

Two different plaster molds.

Place a piece of rolled out clay into one the the impressions.

We like to beat the clay with the palm of our hand to press the clay into the mold. This can be done other ways. I've used rolling pins on larger molds.

Once the clay is pressed into the mold use a wire tool to cut off the excess clay.

Use a sponge to smooth the backside of the clay. This also helps press the clay into the mold even further for fine details.

Picture of clay smoothed out. I was to slow with the camera and Steph of TaintedTiki has already started the next one. It's best to wait a few minutes before removing the clay from the mold. During this time the plaster mold is sucking out a little moisture from the clay making it easier to remove.

Using another piece of moist clay remove the Tiki from the mold. See next picture.

Press the moist clay into one side of the Tiki and pull back slowly.

Let dry for a few hours then clean it up and add anything if desired.

These new ornaments will be fired and painted within the next few weeks. Will be starting on new tiki mug designs in the meantime. Here are horrible pictures of two finished mug models some of you may or my not remember.

very cool idea yumyum!! Maybe you can also show how to make the press molds??

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 19, 2006 7:30 PM

kool :)

I hope you've got a Silicone cast of that Mold. Though with those key holes in the mold I see, I'm sure you do.

Sorry, I'm tired. G'nite

How did you make the mold itself? We've been tossing around the idea of making ornaments for our friends and family, and this look like what we've been talking about.

Been busy with work and a lot of little projects. :D Did a kiln firing and have started painting lots of tiki ornaments. Almost done with them. Completed one mug model and finishing a second one. Also been piecing together a web site and learning as I go along. Fun stuff.

I will post pics of making a push mold next time we make one but it will be a while. Also will post pics of making a two part mold once I get comfortable with the process. If you work with clay and want to learn how to make molds check out "The Clay Lover's Guide to Making Molds" by Peirce Clayton. I know...I've mentioned this book on here before but it's awesome! Answered every one of my questions about mold making.

Here are pictures of the painted tiki ornaments. Very happy with the way these are turning out.

My favorite so far...

Finishing up five more designs and will have pics on here within the next few weeks.

Yum yum nice ornaments! They are even cooler than the first run. It would seem that those would make really nice pendants as well.

Thanks I will have to get a copy of that book. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff. Maybe one day I'll have time to post some of our stuff on TC

Thanks guys. Frostiki, that would be awesome to see some of your stuff. Do you work with clay?

A new mug design that I've been working on for almost a month now. He has a different shape to em with the front being flat. Still needs some more work...nose, ears and maybe the teeth.

I'll get some better pictures of it on here once it's done.

[ Edited by: yumyumkid 2006-11-18 15:26 ]

T

Great shape you got there, The bend to the side has much character. What size is it. Any comparisons.

Great stuff YumYum, I haven't been able to find any "tiki related molds here in Fl.

S

On 2006-11-14 20:11, Sneakytiki wrote:
Yum yum nice ornaments! They are even cooler than the first run. It would seem that those would make really nice pendants as well.

I second that! Yummy pendants...

These are the last of the tiki ornaments. The shrunken head ones are my absolute favorite out of all of them.

The ornaments were fun but now I'm ready to get back to designing mugs. Mid year 2007 and we should be in full swing with production.

teaKEY, the monkey guy is around 7-8 inches tall. It's slowly drying now. I'll have a finished pic of em up next week.

F

YumYum, The monkey skull mug is great. I can't wait to see it glazed and finished.

I haven't worked with clay since college, and to be honest at the time I only did it because I had to. But since Mrs. Frostiki introduced me to the world of Tiki and to TC, I've really gotten behind wanting to try my hand at it again. I guess all it takes is a muse.

I'm going to post a bunch of prints we've done soon. But for Now here is a link to a thread I posted with some Wood panels I did. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21853&forum=18&0

We've been working on new stuff, but we just moved into a new house, and the holidays have taken away a lot of our creative time. We're going to gear back up after the new year. more paintings from The Mrs, Panels from me prints from both of us, and hopefully some mugs & T-shirts (we've got a buddy who is starting a Screen printing business)

Y

Great wood panels Frostiki. I really like the one wearing the hat. Checked out your website and I'm looking forward to see new stuff from you guys in the future.

Finished sculpt of the monkey guy mug. Not many changes to him from the last post. Added the ears a little later than I should of and was scared that they were going to fall off. The wall toward the top of this model are really thick. He may explode during the firing. :o

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Dec 7, 2006 6:06 PM

Heavy

Y

Very.

F

YYK, Thanks for the kind words about my wood panels. I like the monkey mug, the little detail lines that you added to the ears give a nice bit of depth to the mug. I have visions of way to glaze it, and give it a nice demon monkey of the dead feel. The eyes on the mug look like the could steal your soul, or at least make the rum do it.

C

Really nice!! Congrats!

Pages: 1 23 replies