Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Goodbye CBGB. Official closing this Sunday 10/15 w/Patti Smith

Pages: 1 15 replies

For those of you that weren't aware...It's over my friends. As they say 'sad but true'. I will be at the final show this Sunday with her Smith-ness. Heartbreaking indeed. I'll offer my final eulogy at that point. Long live Hilly and CBGB. A fuckin nice place to go and hear some music!

T

And if you can't go and have Sirius Satellite Radio, they will be brodcasting live on Ch 24 Sirius Disorder

...like me

Click for info

and if you miss the closing..join us for the re-opening!!!! word on the street is that owner hilly kristal is salvaging whatever he can of the place and re building CBGB's in Las vegas.....including the urinals!! ....this will come as bad news to the double-down saloon, which already boasts the nastiest urinals in Vegas.......

not suprising news considering that vegas is the last refuge for old venues to get a new lease on life.....studio 54 anyone? don the beachcomber? and a few others i can't name off the top of my head.....if a classic venue has been around for years and ready to meet the wrecking ball, chances are good it can make a go in vegas...of course, it will never be the same as it was in it's original local....but i do like the fact that vegas is becoming a sort of full-size smithsonian of old pop culture icons and venues..in the future, you will be able to stroll the streets of vegas and witness the past 100 years of what was cool about americas most popular venues....shows to go ya. old skool never dies....it just moves to vegas!!!

D

...but i do like the fact that vegas is becoming a sort of full-size smithsonian of old pop culture icons and venues..in the future, you will be able to stroll the streets of vegas and witness the past 100 years of what was cool about americas most popular venues....shows to go ya. old skool never dies....it just moves to vegas!!!

Does that mean that Vegas will have some sort of replica of itself resembling what it looked like before it went family/corporate in the 90s? That'd be nice. Maybe Merv Griffin could start broadcasting his show from Caesar's Palace again.

As far as CBGB moving to Vegas. Has there actually been official word on that? It seems to be a pretty strong rumour. There's nothing about it on the CB's website. So far all they're going to do is open a CBGB Fashion shop on Broadway and Bond. http://www.cbgb.com/

Don't hold your breath for Vegas.
Don, enjoy your evening.

So long. The moment that looked like a point in the (not too) distant future has come and gone. CBGB is a memory as our society continues it's obsession with getting rid of things old and beautiful, to make way for the new and generic. In the case of the Bowery, to turn it (literally) into one giant NYU dorm.

If Patti Smith said one thing tonight that made total sense to me it was this. To paraphrase; 'CBGB will be gone but a new generation will do what we did: Find some shit hole that no one cares about to use as a place to fail, succeed, and experiment.'

The optimist in me agrees. The pessimist in me says that any generation of young people coming up these days wil not, by default care a damn about branching out and experimenting. Their environment dictates nothing leading them to true non-conformist aspirations. Technology and corporate culture have almost guaranteed that. Anyway Patti, we will see. If I am wrong I will eat one of your albums. Preferably 'Easter'.

Thank you Hilly Kristal and thank you CBGB.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.