Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Earthquake in Hawaii

Pages: 1 27 replies

My mom is currently on a cruise, she said they just had an earthquake off the Kona side of Hawaii, measuring 6.3 So far they know there is damage at the Kohala Hospital and Royal Kona Resort. I just found more info on MSNBC so I'll update later...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/special/Hawaii.php

Power was knocked out as far as Oahu, so far no tsunami warnings...

Here's a news story from Honolulu

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=4d33fb8f-0abe-421a-00d8-21e74291c2aa&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

[ Edited by: stuff-o-rama 2006-10-15 12:47 ]

H
Helz posted on Sun, Oct 15, 2006 1:04 PM

I also posted a thread in Ohana for people to post any info they get about our folks out there, or for them to post to let us know they're ok.

[ Edited by: HelzTiki 2006-10-15 13:04 ]

So far it seems that there are no real injuries or major structural damages, just a lot of closed roads and power outages. Phones are still out but cellular service is active...

The people calling in on MSNBC are saying most people are scrambling to catch the big waves since there are no tsunami warnings. I love Hawaiian style....

i just talked to house of ku in pearl city. he said nothing was damaged at his house or gecko's house.

J

There is some phone service on Oahu. I was able to reach filslash on his home number.

Wishing all those in the Hawaiian Islands the very best and hopefully just a shake up with some massive glass curls...flip-flOp-fLipPp...

M

We got hit pretty good. the house shook like crazy. Being on the south shore of Maui we were as close as much of the big island to the epicenter. I'm sure they felt it throughout the state but I don't think Oahu was shook as hard.

It happened at 7:09AM so I was still in bed. It lasted about 20 seconds, which was enough time to jump out of bed and get to my tiki mugs! (my wife went for the kids) My mugs were shaking and moving like you wouldn't believe, I caught two as they were falling from the shelf and had a total of 5 fall. One was chipped pretty badly buy none were broken.

I began taking them down as fast as I could when the aftershock hit. My kids and wife headed outside while I pushed the mugs back - away from the edge of the shelf.

At this time all of my valuable mugs are on the floor. I'll post a picture in a little bit.

It's crazy, all of my mugs started out facing forward. With the shaking most of them turned sideways and many completely around. The ones with small bottoms like the Shag Disneyland mug and Tiki farm's Black/Orange M'ehana mug fell over knocking other mugs off the shelf.

I'm leaving them on the floor until the aftershocks stop. I guess we've had 20+ aftershocks, most we can't feel.

More later...

CL

Thanks MauiTiki. We've been trying to reach Bill's best friend who lives in Keneohe (Oahu) all day. Circuits have been busy. Anyone out there in Keneohe? Any news?

Thanks,
Maria

H

Hopefully Fill is ok...

Does anyone know how far away in miles the epicenter was from the island of Kauai? Just wondering because I have a friend on Kauai, but I can't reach him and I don't really know how far away that is from the big island. Just looking on a general map it appears to be roughly the distance from Los Angeles to San Francisco, but can anyone verify that?

[ Edited by: vintagegirl 2006-10-15 23:31 ]

On 2006-10-15 23:30, vintagegirl wrote:
Does anyone know how far away in miles the epicenter was from the island of Kauai? Just wondering because I have a friend on Kauai, but I can't reach him and I don't really know how far away that is from the big island. Just looking on a general map it appears to be roughly the distance from Los Angeles to San Francisco, but can anyone verify that?

Kauai is about 300 miles away from the epicenter. They should be fine there except that the phones are probably still messed up.

Thanks Hakalugi! Good to know.

K

I've been in a few quakes before, but that was definately the most intense one I've experienced. I had set my alarm for 7:00 am and was sitting in bed eating a fruit bowl when my apt. started swaying back and forth. I kept glancing over at my two shelving units holding my 2,500 Hawaiian & exotica LPS quivering..and I thought maybe I should dash over to the doorway, but decided against crawling in front of the records..:)
Mostly, there were a lot of people stuck in elevators for a long time and NOTHING, of course, was open in Waikiki, so thousands of tourists were out foraging for vittles. Unfortunatly, it was also a very rainy and cloudy day. Our power just came back on at about 10:00 p.m.

HOK

On 2006-10-15 13:34, kingstiedye wrote:
i just talked to house of ku in pearl city. he said nothing was damaged at his house or gecko's house.

The house was shakin, but not enough to dislodge any of da keikis from the shelves. No damage but, no power for 8 hrs. Mahalo Bull for getting my ebay bid in. Kudos to Da King!! Aloha, Freddie :tiki:

T

Waves must of been 'primo'

I just saw a press release on the Royal Kona's website, says they have no damage and all room, restaurants, and amenities are accessible with no problems.
Needless to say I breathed a huge sigh of relief since we're going there in just under two weeks and I didn't purchase travel insurance.

Here is the photo of all my mugs on the floor, in case of another major aftershock.

Only had three mugs get damaged. Funny, one of them was the Katrina Hurricane mug made to raise money for Purple Jade. Just some big chips as mugs fell into each other.

The Governor declared it a "State of Emergency" but if you watched the news they could only find a few things to talk about. The biggest problem was the power outages. One chimney collapsed on Oahu, a couple rock slides on Maui, Nothing on Kauai, and the Big Island had some damage to roads, bridges and had some houses slip off their foundation, but nothing life threatening. Other than the power being out at the airports and in Waikiki for 14 hours, I think most things were back to normal by the end of the day.

All is good, no need to cancel your vacation.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-17 17:38 ]

Glad to hear everyone's OK!

I've also heard a bit about damage to the roads. Any idea how severe it is?

Just talked to Tiki Dug (Dug Miller).

He said that a few items fell off of his walls, all of his pictures are hanging crooked, and about 2 mugs broke, but overall he's OK, and his place is intact.

He said thet he was able to stand outside and watch the quake for a full minute.

He said that the biggest problem is that every lava rock wall in town fell apart and there are rocks in all the roads, but otherwise they're getting back to business as ususal.

He also told me that the reoports of the Royal Kona Resort being wrecked are extremely exaggerated.

[ Edited by: tikibars 2006-10-16 13:14 ]

B

[ Edited by: bifcozz 2007-02-09 21:41 ]

V

All is well in Kailua - wrote more in the Ohana thread - Crazy day!

VanTiki

K

All OK in Kaneohe, Oahu - good solid shaking, but no damage or losses. I was more worried about the mugs on the top shelf of my downtown office - I expected to find real "Tiki Mug Misfortunes", but everything was in place except the little rubber Trader Vic menehunes. I guess they were too light to stay put.

Good thing it happened on a Sunday - it would have been chaos if everybody was on the road trying to get to work.

K

Oh, and Maui Tiki - that looks like a very impressive mug collection - you need to update your Ooga-Mooga page, brah.

M

Koolau..

Yeah, I didn't realize I had to supply my own photos when I joined Ooga-Mooga. One of these days I'll find the time.

It's great to see everyone checking in and all is decently okay. I contacted a few of my friends on the Big Island who work for the Hapuna Prince and the Mauna Kea hotels. They said the hotels were "a mess", but since it was an email, I couldn't get a good definition of what a "mess" was. My friends on Maui felt the quakes, but none had any damage.

Hang in there, all!

• Myke

I am heading out to Maui on Saturday to get married on the 23rd of this month and I am glad to hear that everything is in pretty good shape over there. Very impressive collection MauiTiki!!!! Hope it will stay safe and in one piece!!!!

Pages: 1 27 replies