Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tommy Lee's Islander Stockton vs Islander Stockton

Pages: 1 4 replies

Does anyone know the history of the Islander in Stockton CA and why do some items have "Islander, Stockton California" while others have "Tommy Lee's Islander Stockton California"?

Example: The bowl on the left says "Tommy Lee's Islander Restuarant Stockton California" whereas the Hula Girl mug has just "Islander Stockton California".

Does anyone know the history of this establishment? I have other mugs and bowls, mostly Islander Stockton CA, while other things like the bowl in the picture and ashtrays that say Tommy Lees.

Thanks for the insight,

Psycho Tiki D

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Oct 16, 2006 4:38 PM

On 2006-10-16 16:34, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Does anyone know the history of the Islander in Stockton CA ?

Sounds like a job for tikicleen!

i do! i do!! :)

i suppose i am the official resident dork-geek of stockton islander history. if you have a bit of time and want to read an indepth essay about the entire history, may i direct you to this post: everything you have ever wanted to know about the stockton islander

however, to answer your question in short, tommy lee took over the islander in the late 1960's and varied the styles of mugs a bit. all mugs from there are strictly OMC (otagiri), and you can get a better idea about which ones are from which time periods by checking out the menu pictures on my islander post above.

i hope this answers your question! if you ever want your ear talked off about the place, drop me a line and come on down to ripon. :wink:

got tiki?

[ Edited by: tikicleen 2006-10-16 17:06 ]

tikicleen,
Thanks for the wealth of info. I was wondering about the history and now I know.

Ask and ye shall receive! All I can say is "WOW". Needless to say, after reading your posting on the Islander, I have some work cut out for me to fill in some of the gaps of my collection.

Fabulous pictures and story. I read in an issue of Tiki Magazine that the Pollardville Chicken Restaurant used to be the Islander, however prior to that, I had eaten there around 12 different times and had no idea the history of that particular building and I'll be damned if I never noticed the Tiki inside of that place.

Kudos tikicleen, wonderful effort on your story and the items you have collected, you should be extremely proud of yourself.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but what are you)?

Pages: 1 4 replies